99 Miata Trigger

Electredge

Man that is a weird one, it has the normal NB and later cam pattern but with 36-2 on the crank?  36-2 is generally a toyota pattern and I've never seen mazda use it.  Is there any chance this has an aftermarket trigger wheel fitted? 

Assuming it doesnt have VVT then I think the set up below should work.  If it has VVT I think it would need a dedicated trigger decoder written.

I have no idea what the offset will be.  If you get trigger errors or errratic RPM when cranking with the set-up below then do us another triggerscope. 

8aoMbHG.png 

• 2 months later...

I ended up cutting the teeth off the cam gear to get the project car from my original post above completed and it worked out well. Trigger Scopes below are for upcoming projects. 

828C3782-F6C8-4E09-850D-C1127F430F1C_4_5005_c.jpeg.5d3232008833430d896a92f33fd0b059.jpeg

I have multiple NB miata projects upcoming above is an OEM NB trigger pattern and below is 36-2 replacement trigger wheel with the OEM cam signal

336146402_ScreenShot2020-11-02at11_24_52PM.png.abeec1e2865a25767118d18722606273.png

Can these trigger patterns be made? Many of the miata's will not be so into cutting 2 teeth of the cam wheel. 

Thanks for the help

Jon Etheredge

Electredge Wiring

The two trigger modes below work with the oem pattern, one for the cars with VVT and the OBD2 is for the non vvt models (same pattern, just one has a movable cam).

The 36-2 set-up should work with the cam window option that I mentioned above, assuming no vvt.

KUT3BzJ.png

18 hours ago, Adamw said:

The two trigger modes below work with the oem pattern, one for the cars with VVT and the OBD2 is for the non vvt models (same pattern, just one has a movable cam).

The 36-2 set-up should work with the cam window option that I mentioned above, assuming no vvt.

KUT3BzJ.png

Thanks Adam, the 36-2 is a common trigger wheel upgrade for miatas since flying miata sells the kit. if its not hard to add I'd appreciate having the option to use it. one of the small local tracks here in town is home to probably 50+ miatas and many more that don't leave the car out at the track. I'm trying to no longer be forced to tune with megasquirt for any reason, I've converted over 2 of them so far... baby steps :D

and thanks again for all the help 

Are they VVT or not though?  If no VVT it will work as is with no changes.  If they are VVT then we will need a 3 channel scope capture of Cam, crank and spark #1, with the cam fully home and another with cam fully advanced to be able to generate a trigger mode.

• 1 month later...
On 11/3/2020 at 7:49 PM, Adamw said:

Are they VVT or not though?  If no VVT it will work as is with no changes.  If they are VVT then we will need a 3 channel scope capture of Cam, crank and spark #1, with the cam fully home and another with cam fully advanced to be able to generate a trigger mode.

Yes the cars I'm working to build a setup for are VVT motors, what would I need to do to get this trigger pattern added to the firmware? 

is this what you need

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZCfRxFFnckTGW4THmdxr70g4xY3I8Cv4/view?usp=sharing

I think they would need the scope capture on the Link ecu scope functoin to see what they need to see.

I've also tuned my fair share of Miatas on Megasquirt and would definitely prefer to not have to do that any more.  I've converted a couple of cars from MS and Hydra to Link so far.  

On 11/4/2020 at 2:49 PM, Adamw said:

If they are VVT then we will need a 3 channel scope capture of Cam, crank and spark #1, with the cam fully home and another with cam fully advanced to be able to generate a trigger mode.

Need a scope capture at crank speed and one at fast idle as many of the mazda sensors flip polarity around idle speed so if it does flip we need to know which edge doesnt move in relation to TDC/spark.  If you cant do one with cam fully home and another fully advanced, then just a capture at home and a mechanical measurement of how far the cam can advance will be sufficient.  

Would it be feasible to start the car with the 36-2 wheel on the Link with the ecu in batch fire mode and then still capture the cam scope with the VVT solenoid unplugged, and then again with it at 100% duty?  Or would getting a scope on a running car using some other ecu be preferred?  I'm trying to remember if I have any local customers running this setup on a Hydra.

If the coils are wired wasted spark then yes you could run it with no sync to get a capture.  Otherwise you can run the engine fully sequential as I mentioned earlier using the cam window sync mode.  This will at least give you the home position scope, it may freak out when the cam is moved but Im not sure.