PNP WRX104+ Dual AVCS (Adding Exhaust AVCS)

h82lose91

Looking to add Exhaust AVCS Control.  Theres a couple of posts where its been done using a few other link ecus but didnt see one regarding the PNP g4+ specifically.

Digging into the I/O currently used for the intake AVCS for reference I noticed that AUX1 and AUX2 Labled as LH and RH AVCS Solenoid are both tied to A28 and are the SIgnal (-) to the Oil Control Solenoid. Its not clear to me where A18 and A19 (B134-18, B134-19) are sourcing their 12v from.  Is it safe to conclude these are being control as a pair and not individually?  Also I only see Right Cam Position being fed to the ecu at DI2. 

The car doesnt have Cruise or TGVs.  Is it possible to use AUX7 and AUX8 for Solenoid Control (-), and use two of the not needed CRUISE CONTROL DI for Cam Position?

Car has no AC as well.

These look possibly available to repurpose for CAM POS

DI 3 (A/C Request)

DI 6 (Cruise Cancel Resume)

DI 7 (Cruise Set or Cancel)

DI 10 (Cruise Main)

7 hours ago, h82lose91 said:

Digging into the I/O currently used for the intake AVCS for reference I noticed that AUX1 and AUX2 Labled as LH and RH AVCS Solenoid are both tied to A28 and are the SIgnal (-) to the Oil Control Solenoid. Its not clear to me where A18 and A19 (B134-18, B134-19) are sourcing their 12v from. 

Assuming this is a WRX104 ECU?  The factory subaru ECU high-side drives the AVCS solenoids - that means a permanent ground is supplied to one side of the solenoid and the ECU controls it by PWM on the +12V side.  

The Link ECU does the opposite - it uses low side drives - so one side of the solenoid is connected to constant +12V, and the other side is PWM to ground by the ECU.  Our ECU outputs constant +12V on pins A18 & A19 (direct from the main relay), Aux 1 controls pin A29 and Aux 2 controls pin A28.

• 1 month later...

Adamw i sent you a message, but instead of blowing up your inbox more ill post here.  My issue to catch everyone up is available I/O.

My Aux

1 VVT Solenoid (Intake)

2 VVT Solenoid (Intake)

3 Tacho

4 Ehtrottle Signal

AUX 7 and 8 Let me set them to VVT Solenoid (Is there an issue doing this im missing)

My DI

DI1 LF Wheel Speed

DI2 Right Intake Cam Pos

DI3 A/C Request (NO AC)

DI4 Clutch Switch

So Change

DI3 to Right Exhaust Cam Pos

DI4 To Left Exhaust Cam Pos

DI6 Clutch Switch (Was CRUISE Switch Cancel Resume)

Quad AVCS does get a bit sticky on the IO counts.

I kept clutch and brake as I use those for flat foot shifting and auto blip.

I don't have AC, Tacho, or Wheel speed though so that helps a bunch.

I believe I asked the same question a while ago about aux 7/8. I know I used one or both of them... at least i'm 90% without opening up my map. If it lets you assign it that's a good sign that it will function. Often times it seems like the help documentation is a couple revs behind the actual software functionality.

So all wired up.

One cam has no signal, wiring is good, the other bounces between ok and cannot sync.  Should the pull up resistor be so to off or on, these cam pos sensors are 3 wire like the intake. 12v, Sensor Gnd, and Signal.  I have them configured like the intake. 

So my Left Cam Position Sensor is wired to C24 - DI3, but im wondering if this is different since it shows for 06 C24, and 07 C23.  Does the 2004 USDM STi have this pin relocated or jumpered?

If they are 3 wire then I would expect the pull-up will need to be on.  Thats odd for it to have 3 wires sensors on the exhaust though - is it a V11 engine from a >2007?

For the cam that cannot sync, do a cam angle test and set the offset correctly will probably solve that.

For the cam with no signal either there is a wiring issue or the sensor is faulty.  It wont work until you have a signal.  

Yes 2008+ Heads. 

Ran cam sync,  plugged in offset and still not happy.  I tried setting the trigger setup to Subaru Quad AVCS and that made no difference.  My DI3 seems to not work, is it possible that its only available for 2006 and 2007 Jumper configurations?  If so, what changes if i jumper it for a 2006?

DI 3 is on pin D16 if the jumpers are in the 04 position or on pin D17 when jumpers are set to 05/06.  Note you cant swap jumpers as the ecu wont power up if the jumpers are wrong.

What are the three reported cam angles when you do the cam angle test?  Are they reasonably stable - within a degree or so?

Well PIN D16 should fix the other Cam Pos sensor issue.  Ill fix that today.  The wiring manual in pclink doesnt call out PIN D16 or DI3 for the 2004.

The numbers did stabilize, the lowest was 283.5 if i remember correctly which is what i put in for the offset. The highest number was in the 600's.  Ill screen shot that today.

Should trigger and VVt Setup be set to Subaru Quad AVCS?

OK progress and its working!  Moved to pin D16 (DI3), synced cams and good to go.  My idle is set to 0*.  And i noticed some fluctuation on the exhaust cams +/-1 degree or so, until I adjusted the rpm back from 500 to 1200rpm.  Maybe have a lazy solenoid!  Thanks for all the help guys.

3 hours ago, h82lose91 said:

And i noticed some fluctuation on the exhaust cams +/-1 degree or so, until I adjusted the rpm back from 500 to 1200rpm.  Maybe have a lazy solenoid!  Thanks for all the help guys.

VVT is rarely active at idle in every car I have looked at.  Oil pressure is too low/variable.   Typically it activates around 12-1500RPM in most OEM set-ups.

45 minutes ago, Adamw said:

VVT is rarely active at idle in every car I have looked at.  Oil pressure is too low/variable.   Typically it activates around 12-1500RPM in most OEM set-ups.

Agreed, just noticed it while switch the rpm lock out back. Ill see if it varies are higher rpm this evening while driving home.