Bosch dual oil press/temp sensor on RB

JohnRambo

They are great sensors.  They are direct mounted to the engine in the OEM application and are very reliable in my experience.  In my last job we ran them on a whole category of 30 single seat race cars (direct mounted in cyl head which was solid mounted and a stressed part of the chassis) and they were the only sensor on the car that we never had fail.  The only thing Im not a big fan of is the connectors are a bit difficult to work with.  We potted ours and used a pig tail with a DTM4 instead but these were for quite high level cars.

• 1 month later...

100% agree.  The connector and pins are a bit fiddly.  Otherwise the resistance curves on efisolutions site work great as input into the G4 link ecu.  I have a customer with a couple installed on a Celica running just fine.  Adapting the sensor's threads to that of your enigne's is mildly annoying, but there are adapters out there.

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to be running a pair of these for oil & fuel data (and to run modeled fuel calcs on my G4X). Physical adaptation is looking like the sticky point though. The data sheet has a fairly lousy drawing that (intends) to show the bore dimensions & seating face for the flared end of the sensor. However, life would be immensely simpler if I could just do a blind M10 tap and seal the thing with a copper crush washer.

Do any of you have experience with the sensor being installed that way? I can only guess at the internal construction, and based on the fact that the metal housing is 3 parts (laser welded together) I'd assume that the silicon pressure transducer element is up closer to the connector and not down in the little boss which would be compressed against a crush washer. But who knows, and adding or changing the stress field in the body of the sensor seems like it could be problematic, so any input on this is very much appreciated.

Also, regarding issues with the trapezoidal connector, is it mainly that the contacts don't stay in place in the housing and cause intermittent connection issues, or is it something else?

Thanks!

Yes the adapters I've used are face seal with a crush washer at the base of the threads going into essentially blind holes.  The taper at the tip isn't used.

The pins and crimping them correctly and getting them into the housing just right so you can latch the connector lock (so you can actually plug it in) is the fiddly bit.