Idle drops low when AC is on

mike2016

when the AC is on, and during throttle off, such as coming to a stop.

Idle drops to 600-700 RPM then climbs back up. It never stalled. 

my idle target is 950 RPM.  it's perfect with NO AC. 

I set AC Idle up at 100RPM and AC Offset table to 10

Integral gain is 2.5 

Closed loop. RB26 oem actuator. 
Dashpot is 0.  
didn’t notice this issue until today

also start up when hot also starts at very low rpm for some reason. Idle position is stuck low. I’ll attach a log later

here’s the tune file 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2guzof23h6uspyo/13 - Ignition table update.pclx?dl=0

Here's a log of the start up.  ECT was over 90C. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8vr9amu85376p9i/PC Datalog - 2021-06-13 5%3B10%3B10 pm low idle after start up hot.llgx?dl=0

it starts up and idle drops to 600-700 when "start up decay" starts.  

never noticed this problem before

maybe it has to do with the AC low idle slow recovery issue 

In the log your engine needs 58% DC on the idle valve for the target idle speed and timing to be met, yet your idle base position only has 10% in it.  

So either the base position table has been changed at some stage, or the throttle is more closed that in used to be or similar.  

Have you got any old logs that show if the enegine has always needed 58%DC to idle when warm?

7 minutes ago, mike2016 said:

And why is idle low when it’s in “start up decay” and recovers when it’s in idle mode?  It definitely didn’t have this problem before 

Because you have 10% in your base table and 20% start up step, so it starts with the valve at 30% and as the 20% startup step decays it falls all the way back to 10% - but remember from above your engine actually needs 58% for the correct RPM, so this is why the idle is low.  After the startup step has decayed then closed loop turns on and the ECU winds the valve open untill the correct RPM is reached.  

I looked at the log again. 

a bit after the 0:08 mark, idle position is still at 30%,  and RPM is already dropping. start up decay doesn't start until 0:12. 

i found some old logs

at the end of the log, it's idling at 10%

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hsc4waqreo6c3m3/PC Datalog - 2021-03-21 12%3B42%3B19 pm static run 2.llgx?dl=0

some street driving, also at 10%

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k5tv00f4z73ypuu/PC Datalog - 2021-04-24 5%3B18%3B50 pm.llgx?dl=0

this is a cold start log

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wf9n1txiq07w810/PC Datalog - 2021-05-23 4%3B19%3B42 pm.llgx?dl=0

there's no hardware change on the car recently. only thing I did was the boost control valve, and a clutch fan change (a bit of coolant lost from upper radiator hose disconnect, but refilled after)

2 hours ago, mike2016 said:

a bit after the 0:08 mark, idle position is still at 30%,  and RPM is already dropping. start up decay doesn't start until 0:12. 

That is where the AC clutch turns on.  I assume there is a startup lock out or similar so it is not on when cranking.  

If old logs show the idle valve at 10% to acheive the same RPM that now needs 58% then it suggests air flow through one part of the sytem has changed somewhere.  It could be the throttle was not fully closing before or something similar.  I also note in your older logs that the idle valve and idle ignition are both pinned against the minimum clamps so something has quite drastically changed. 

1 hour ago, mike2016 said:

changing idle setting to default Link base map setting. will test soon. 

Thats not what it needs, most of your settings look ok, just the base position table is now a mile off for whatever reason.

Yeah so it seems you have a some investigation to do, either the idle vale is playing up/sticky, the throttles sometimes are closing fully, or there is extra air getting in from somewhere else. Split hose, PCV, brake booster, etc.

if its a split hose or air leak somewhere, it should always leak somehow regardless of temp?  

this low idle issue is new, the car gets hot like this every time i drive. never had this issue before. 

i'm going to focus on the idle valve and do some investigation. 

all the hoses are new OEM, and i just worked on the car over the weekend, if there's anything off visually i would've caught it... 

what does the idle valve screw have in relation to the DC% in the ECU?   

41 minutes ago, mike2016 said:

it should always leak somehow regardless of temp?  

What makes you think it is related to temp?  You have logs above which show either 10%DC or 58% DC to achieve the same idle speed at the same temperature (hot).  So temperature doesnt seem to be a factor.

46 minutes ago, mike2016 said:

what does the idle valve screw have in relation to the DC% in the ECU?

I've never adjusted one but they are usually just a bypass adjustment.  

2 minutes ago, Adamw said:

What makes you think it is related to temp?  You have logs above which show either 10%DC or 58% DC to achieve the same idle speed at the same temperature (hot).  So temperature doesnt seem to be a factor.

I've never adjusted one but they are usually just a bypass adjustment.  

yea that's what i meant to say, if there's a leak, it should be leaking somehow, regardless what temp the engine is at.  so it's not temp related.

and if there's an apparent leak, it's pretty noticeable to the ears, which I don't notice any. 

i think i can rule out the leak for now and just focus on the TB and idle valve.  

I'll try to play with the adjustment screw and see how it affects the idle base position.  i think 10% DC is quite a bit lower than usual? 

the previous shop had the idle setting on open loop and probably messed with the adjustment screw to set the idle. 

Yes 10% is low but 58% when hot is high.  So its unlikely the screw, it is something that is changing intermitantly.  

And no, you dont hear all leaks, PCV valve and brake boost are common examples - you can clamp off the hoses when you have low idle DC reported to rule out those.  You can also clamp off the hose on the idle valve when the idle DC is low to rule out if there is a lot of air flowing through that.  

haven't had a chance to investigate the hardware yet but...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z5xzk2iztigb5p0/PC Datalog - 2021-06-14 7%3B15%3B19 pm.llgx?dl=0

from this log. it seems like the "idle valve" is offset by the idle ignition ?   (idle valve at 10% but idle ignition increased to bring idle rpm up to target)

does either idle ignition or idle valve have priority as who controls the idle first before the other ? 

Ignition is the proportional & derivative, valve is the integral.  So in other words ignition is the instantaneous correction for error, valve is to correct long term error.

The main reason your idle valve is moving in large steps is it looks like you have a large deadband set - about 100RPM at a guess.  So idle valve doesnt attempt to move until idle speed is 100RPM off target.  20 or 30RPM would be a more typical deadband for a solenoid.  

I wasn't able to replicate the same issue

i did however try to clamp off different air hoses and found no difference in idle.

another thing i can think of is the "air regulator" - i'm not sure if it's even connected. as the previous shop who did my car bypassed the FP speed module, not sure if they took out the air regulator circuit with it. my fuel pump is powered by just the fuel pump relay AUX 6 now.   i'll have to verify if there's power at the air regulator.

AUX 1 is unused, and AUX 2 is used for VVT solenoid

the air regulator is like a mechanical thermostat ?... big change in air temp / engine temp will probably cause it to somehow change its position if it's not powered?

Ah yes, forgot they had those.  Its basically a valve powered with a bimetalic strip that bends when it heats up.  So when the engine is cold and the strip is cold the valve should be open to allow a bit of extra air through.  With ign on, a heater heats up the strip and should close the valve (engine heat should keep it closed for hot restarts etc too).  

I havent had much to do with the nissan ones, but certainly the similar device used in older BMW's are not very reliable so it could well be causing the intermitant change you are seeing.  

• 1 month later...
On 6/13/2021 at 10:52 PM, Adamw said:

In the log your engine needs 58% DC on the idle valve for the target idle speed and timing to be met, yet your idle base position only has 10% in it.  

So either the base position table has been changed at some stage, or the throttle is more closed that in used to be or similar.  

Have you got any old logs that show if the enegine has always needed 58%DC to idle when warm?

Hi Adam, is there a formula that determines how much dc or how many steps the ecu needs to hit a target rpm? I thought you just kind of trial and errored it?