LS1 crank cam sensors, D585 LS2 Coil

FIS

I am wiring LS1 using LS2 coil, according to diagram found on internet it has 2 ground that connected to signal ground and ground near coil. What is the signal ground means? Can I just tied both ground to engine head/block along with Link ECU power ground?

About crank and cam sensor, does those work with 8V power?

Thank you

ls2_coil_schematic.gif

For the LS coils the signal ground pin ideally connects to ECU sensor ground, having said that, as you say many people just ground both ground pins together on the head and I have yet to see it cause a problem.  The reason for the signal ground suggested is these coils trigger on "TTL" level signals - so they only need a voltage of about 0.8V on the trigger pin to cause it to start charging.  It is easy to imagine a ground offset of 0.8V between ECU and engine under situations such as starting when there is a lot of current flowing through the ground strap.

Yes the LS1 24X sensors can use 8V, info from help file:

Zgk3Z6R.png

• 2 years later...
On 6/25/2021 at 1:43 AM, FIS said:

I am wiring LS1 using LS2 coil, according to diagram found on internet it has 2 ground that connected to signal ground and ground near coil. What is the signal ground means? Can I just tied both ground to engine head/block along with Link ECU power ground?

About crank and cam sensor, does those work with 8V power?

Thank you

ls2_coil_schematic.gif

Are the 1.0 and 0.001 capacitors necessary with the Link ECU's?

On 6/25/2021 at 3:19 AM, Adamw said:

For the LS coils the signal ground pin ideally connects to ECU sensor ground, having said that, as you say many people just ground both ground pins together on the head and I have yet to see it cause a problem.  The reason for the signal ground suggested is these coils trigger on "TTL" level signals - so they only need a voltage of about 0.8V on the trigger pin to cause it to start charging.  It is easy to imagine a ground offset of 0.8V between ECU and engine under situations such as starting when there is a lot of current flowing through the ground strap.

Are the 1.0 and 0.001 capacitors necessary with the Link ECU's?

And this is for a Link Storm on a LS1 type engine (6.0 LQ4) that is using MSD LS2/LS3 type coils.

I wouldnt use the 0.001uF between pin B & C, but the other one on the main power supply is a nice precaution to take.  You just need one on the main power supply each side of the engine as close as possible to the coils.  Many dont bother and I rarely see any issue from them so dont sweat it too much, can always add one later if you have some noise issue.