PCLINK crashes regularly still

mattj

Just found something interesting...it actually holds pretty stable until I load a new LAYOUT file.  Appears to be any layout file.  Then, as soon as I disconnect/reconnect the HDMI external monitor, it crashes.

If it is only crashing when changing monitors then there is not a lot we can do about that, likely the way the graphics card handles OpenGL.  You will have to get into the habit of closing PC link before swapping monitors.  

36 minutes ago, Adamw said:

If it is only crashing when changing monitors then there is not a lot we can do about that, likely the way the graphics card handles OpenGL.  You will have to get into the habit of closing PC link before swapping monitors.  

It’s not just that. It still crashes while I’m driving around logging data. No monitor changes RE there. Must be related to loading layout files. I’ll try it without loading a layout file and see what happens. 

3 hours ago, mattj said:

It’s not just that. It still crashes while I’m driving around logging data. No monitor changes RE there. Must be related to loading layout files. I’ll try it without loading a layout file and see what happens. 

your loading different layouts while tuning? 

3 hours ago, Electredge said:

your loading different layouts while tuning? 

No. I load a layout just after starting the G4+ software program. Then I start logging and driving. Most often, it crashes before I can even stop and save the log file. 

On 8/9/2021 at 3:35 PM, Adamw said:

I have not heard of regular crashing with G4+ PC Link.  My first thought since it is happening when offline would be something graphics driver related, PC Link uses Open GL quite a lot.  

I believe some of the microsoft graphics drivers have pretty poor support for Open GL since microsoft sell a competing product, so it is generally best to use the graphics driver direct from the graphics vendors website (Intel or AMD) rather than the default windows supplied one.  Try installing the latest vendor driver.

Yeah.  I tried to do that yesterday.  I'm no rookie to upgrading drivers, but I LITERALLY cannot find support for my laptop anywhere on Intel's site.  Even Dell's program to auto-find drivers for you said it found one, I went to install it.  It said it failed, and then all of sudden said there were no updates available.  WTF?!  This isn't rocket science.  What is Link's future plan for support on the G4+ platform.  They have not updated this software for two years and I'm ready to abandon Link at this point.

I found a driver (manually) on the Dell website (not Intel), but it's the same version as the driver I have.  I don't see any option to change/modify OpenGL settings either. What is happening when when I load a layout file?  Is there another options file that gets modified to "remember" that layout, and auto-load it next time the software starts?

FURTHER UPDATE:  I just reloaded the Link software.  Didn't mess with any layout file.  Used what ever is default.  Already had the external monitor connected.  Opened the software.  Opened my tuning map file.  Opened a logfile. switched Display mode to Log Analysis.  Move the program window to the larger monitor (extended displays)...waited a minute.  CRASH!  Ugh!!!  

• 1 year later...

Im having the exact same problem, two different computers (desktop and laptop) and yep same problem same crash logs, not even connected to the ecu just sitting there in the background and pclink g4+ will crash. Link has abandoned the G4+ platform i bought a thunder new must have been the same time they silently halted any software or firmeare updates while focussing on the latest and greatest :( 

I have rarely seen G4+ PC Link crash personally and I see very few reports of it through tech support or in the forum, so I dont think it is a common issue.  The only theme I have seen a few times over the years on the forum here seems to be related to a monitor going to sleep or if a secondary monitor is connected while PC Link is open.  I've never been able to reproduce that in-house though.  Most of us at link have ecu's connected full time and PC Link open 24/7 on our office PC's, most with multiple monitors too. 

When you say "sitting there in the background", what other apps are running?  Do you have a map and log open, or just the program?  What's the display adapter listed in windows device manager?   

6 hours ago, driftae76 said:

Im having the exact same problem, two different computers (desktop and laptop) and yep same problem same crash logs, not even connected to the ecu just sitting there in the background and pclink g4+ will crash. Link has abandoned the G4+ platform i bought a thunder new must have been the same time they silently halted any software or firmeare updates while focussing on the latest and greatest :( 

Yep.  No solutions either.  Yeah, Link abandoned this product long ago.  Shame on them. I'm on to my fourth laptop.  And still have the same issue.  It's better with Windows 11 (less frequent, but still occurs), but I still can't count on the program staying running, and have to work around it.  Not sure WTF is happening.  When did you buy you Thunder? 

4 hours ago, Adamw said:

I have rarely seen G4+ PC Link crash personally and I see very few reports of it through tech support or in the forum, so I dont think it is a common issue.  The only theme I have seen a few times over the years on the forum here seems to be related to a monitor going to sleep or if a secondary monitor is connected while PC Link is open.  I've never been able to reproduce that in-house though.  Most of us at link have ecu's connected full time and PC Link open 24/7 on our office PC's, most with multiple monitors too. 

When you say "sitting there in the background", what other apps are running?  Do you have a map and log open, or just the program?  What's the display adapter listed in windows device manager?   

Frankly, I don't appreciate this comment.  Simply because YOU haven't seen and YOU can't reproduce it, doesn't mean it's not happening.  None of this is related to monitors sleeping.  I could fill your tech support people with info, but none of them care OR have the experience to handle this level issue.  It needs an engineer and it needs Link's willingness to solve this problem.  Perhaps they are buried in the G5 that still hasn't surfaced.  I understand that it doesn't make financial sense to spend time on an old product, but I still feel like I was left in the cold on this.  Perhaps you, after years of this BS, can ask your tech team to reach out to us and try to solve this issue.  I would appreciate some attention to this issue.  

6 hours ago, mattj said:

Yeah, Link abandoned this product long ago.  Shame on them

G4X came out 3ish years ago and was in development for many years before that, G4+ are absolutely still supported via tech support and servicing, just no mroe software updates.

6 hours ago, mattj said:

Frankly, I don't appreciate this comment.  Simply because YOU haven't seen and YOU can't reproduce it, doesn't mean it's not happening.  None of this is related to monitors sleeping.

It is near on impossible to fix reported issues without being able to replicate them, dealing with issues that happen on specific computers makes this even harder.

6 hours ago, mattj said:

I could fill your tech support people with info, but none of them care OR have the experience to handle this level issue.  It needs an engineer and it needs Link's willingness to solve this problem.  Perhaps they are buried in the G5 that still hasn't surfaced.  I understand that it doesn't make financial sense to spend time on an old product, but I still feel like I was left in the cold on this.  Perhaps you, after years of this BS, can ask your tech team to reach out to us and try to solve this issue.  I would appreciate some attention to this issue.  

Engineering time needs to be allocated where it will have the most effect, this is on the newer products.

On 8/17/2023 at 4:17 PM, Vaughan said:

G4X came out 3ish years ago and was in development for many years before that, G4+ are absolutely still supported via tech support and servicing, just no mroe software updates.

It is near on impossible to fix reported issues without being able to replicate them, dealing with issues that happen on specific computers makes this even harder.

Engineering time needs to be allocated where it will have the most effect, this is on the newer products.

Answering the phone and talking to me about a problem that requires a software update to solve is NOT considered support in my book.  Had I been told there was no more software updates for this product, I would likely not have purchased it.

I would be more than happy to package up my laptop, power cord, monitor and any other supporting devices and send them to NZ if I thought Link cared even a little bit about solving this issue. 

I understand that companies need to allocate resources, but I do feel neglected as your customer and responses such as this...that suggest that the problem is rare, doesn't show the genuine care I would have hoped for.  I BOUGHT 4 LAPTOPS trying to solve this issue.  Clearly, I care about the issue.

On 8/17/2023 at 9:35 PM, Adamw said:

When you say "sitting there in the background", what other apps are running? 

• Just chrome or idle, not doing anything in particular, plenty of free RAM

Do you have a map and log open, or just the program? 

• Crashes with any map open, no datalog.. It may crash with no map loaded but I've never experienced that

What's the display adapter listed in windows device manager?   

• Desktop - Radeon RX570 Series | Driver Model WDDM 2.7
  • Laptop - Intel HD Graphics | Driver Model WDDM 1.3

I also have a super old Win7 laptop which runs PCLink G4+ stable so I have been using that for tuning (although the battery is cooked so its not ideal).

I have tried running PCLink in compatability mode on the problem machines, Administratior permissions, fiddled with the graphics settings, none of which have made any difference

If you could throw me some ideas I'd be happy do drill right down into it, no worries spinning up VM's and Inline debuggers etc.

Could you possibly set up the laptop with a permanent team viewer or similar remote desktop access so we can log in and have a poke around sometime? 

Im assuming we can observe it crash without having an ecu connected etc?   

On 8/21/2023 at 4:50 AM, Adamw said:

Could you possibly set up the laptop with a permanent team viewer or similar remote desktop access so we can log in and have a poke around sometime? 

Im assuming we can observe it crash without having an ecu connected etc?   

Yeah, you guys already did that with me.  Your team couldn't find the issue.  It was suspected to have something to do with the layouts, but nobody on your team wanted to spend any more time trying to figure it out.  I'm sure there are notes on the case.  I might even be able to dig up the old case numbers.