Base map for Ford Duratec / Mazda MZR

Scottw

HI All,

first time posting and sure not to be the last....

Just completing a 2.3 Na Ford Duratec, (Non VVT) (same as Mazda MZR minus the VVT) in a Westfield Kit car. No issue with wiring (yet) but really want to have the satisfaction of starting the engine after the build, not looking to run the car hard just a start to ensure no loud knocks before it goes off to the professionals.

Does anyone have a base / start map.

Apricate the pin outs  will be different but that side of things is not a issue, it is the fuelling side that has my eyes rolling.

Go easy on me :-)... I'm new at this and come from the spanner / distributor and Carburettor era.

Scott 

Its not a real common platform so I dont think I have much to offer.  I should be able to knock something up that isnt far off.  Attach your map once you have the basic IO assigned and leave some detail about the engine - size of injectors, fuel press, compression ratio etc.  

HI Adam,

Have attached the Base map, pretty much everything is working, though for some reason get -40 on my ECT which i'm trying to solve.

basic engine info

2310 CC

9.7 to 1 Comp ratio

330cc injectors 

using standard intake manifold (ford unit)

using a high set of exhaust manifold with a wideband

Direct spark

Fuel Pressure set at 40 Psi

set the firing order already

much appreciate your help, no rush so please no stress.

Cheers

Scott

First try.pclx

HI Vaughan - took a while but narrowed it down to a faulty ECT sensor (brand New) - changed over with the Oil temp sensor and worked just fine on An Temp 1.. just to check put the ECT sensor on the oil Temp and it showed the same voltage... Last thing a newbe needs is faulty sensors to ruin my day :-) 

Hi Adam, sorry for the slow reply.

Yes I have an idle control valve and also running an E-throttle  (I'm at work at the moment, when I get home later I will send over pin out's for these  - sorry thought they were already listed on the file i sent over :-( )

Scott 

thanks Adam, again  newbee at this - I was originally going to use an ITB set up with an E throttle but was steered to use the original Ford intake manifold to get the car through emissions testing before I start playing with new Cams and ITB's..... with the standard manifold having the idle valve I just "blindly" wired up :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Adam,

Question on the Dash - Link MXG Strada 

I've connected up to Can 2 and data is flowing no issue between the ECU and Dash - issue i'm trying to figure out is that every time I turn off the ecu and start again it does not appear to be saving the Can2 configuration, even though when I set up and save it confirms the changes have been saved.

I've not set up the Can2 on the Base Map I sent over to you, just wondering if there is anything obvious other than just saving changes that I should be doing?

Many thanks for your help

Scott 

Sorry I forgot to finish it off after the question about the idle valve came up.  

Note you didnt originally have an E-throttle relay assigned, so I have set it to aux 6 for now.  If you dont actually have one then just leave it like that, if you do have one then you will need to assign the correct output.  It is a good extra safety device to have (cuts power to E-throttle if something goes wrong).

Pedal and E-throttle calibrations will need to be done, confirm all sensors are reading correct, base timing will need to be checked. 

Scottw Duratec 2.3.pclx

hi Adam, really appreciate this, will let you know over the coming week how i get on.

I had a play last week at calibrating the E-throttle which all seemed to go fine so should have no issue with updating this one.

thanks again

scott

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Adam,

Had a go at firing for the first time with no luck.

Aside from a TMAP error that I have narrowed down to a faulty sensor (unplugged for now and in fault) i was am getting fuel pressure on the rail, sparking ok it does not appear to have any fuelling.

Removed plugs and cylinder dry, 

Error log on cranking showing Fuel Calculation "Error Low"...

Attached is the file - would it be as simple as the TMAP disconnected that would cause this?

many thanks in advance

Scott 

790416129_ScottwDuratec2.3 first run.pclx

A log would be better to see what is going on - but you certainly wont have any fuel with the MAP reading zero.  Zero MAP means you are in a total vaccum - i.e. no air, so the ecu is not going to add any fuel.  

You could set your MAP error value to say 100kpa so that it gives a somewhat plausable signal when disconnected.  It may then fire but wont run well with no map.  Those TMAP sensors rarely fail - are you sure you have the pinout correct?

JIY69fz.png

hi Adam,

The Map/ IAT working as you said it was the pin out!!

Engine started, be it was prob only on 2 cylinder and of course running very rich.

I've attached a Trigger scope be it looks very odd, also attached a log file for the short run which i hope helps, as ever it is the first time I have done a log file so hopefully i have captured enough data.

Really appreciate your help :-).

Scott  

log file try.llgx scott trigger scope.llgx TriggerScopeLog.llgx

Can you do a PC log rather than the ecu log as there is not enough info captured in that log.  To do a PC Log, click on the "PC Log = Off" at the top of the screen to start recording, then click it again to stop, then go to >logging>save log file

4Nra9t1.png

The throttle is bouncing around a lot for some reason so that is adding lots of accel fuel which is probably explains why it is rich but I dont see the reason as there is no E-throttle related stuff logged.  

Alternator is not working.

For the triggerscope you need to click the capture button only when the engine is already cranking, it looks like you have clicked it while the engine was stopped.  The short bit of scope that is there looks ok.  

Hi Adam,

Attached 3 files.

2 PC log files under the same conditions on a short 15-second run, starts ok but very rough as you would expect with the rich running. (lots of black smoke once it stalls and when plugs are taken out you can see the unburnt fuel in cylinders )

Also attached a trigger file that is a lot cleaner than the other one.

once again, many thanks - the intend was just to start and move before I send off to the tuners later in the year :-)

Cheers,

Scott

PC Datalog - 2021-10-14 6;31;16 pm.llgx PC Datalog - 2021-10-14 6;41;02 pm.llgx Trigger scope 2.llgx

Ok, something is not right with the cam sensor.  A reluctor sensor signal is typically symmetrical in that its voltage falls below zero by about the same amount as it rised above zero - something like pic below.  But yours only shows a small positive bump with little negative.  

I suspect it may be wired back to front, and possibly way too much air gap?  

Normal reluctor waveform:

KAqVb91.png

Yours:

rMNTXiT.png

Something is definitely not happy with the throttle too, can you attach your tune also. 

As ever many thanks Adam, I will change over the wiring tonight and to be honest I did get an oscilloscope on the cam and crank before I wired them but suspect I still managed to get the wrong way round, it is a standard Ford sensor placed in the original location.

Attached the base map, no changes from the original one you helped me out with :-)

790416129_ScottwDuratec2.3 first run.pclx

What is the throttle body on it?  The settings look kind of expected ballpark, but it is very hyperactive.  

Can you set the PID recorder setup to E-throttle 1 and do a log of some throttle movements.  Set the E-throttle to "run throttle" when stalled and you wont need the engine running to do the log. 

YDgkIvA.png