Celica ST205

RobGT4Fun

Good day. Have a 1995 Celica ST205 that i am trying to get idle dialed in. Overall, idle is OK. Not great. Very rich. But stable, mostly. Every few minutes sporadically it will try and stall, recover and idle fine. Looking at IGN Table 1, at idle the ignition advance is at 20-22. Should this be adjusted to 10? 

Have idle speed set for 750 RPM. Triggers set for 10deg BTDC. Injector timing at 380. AC idle up and Fan idle up work. 

Have attached tune map below. Will try and get a log and post later of idle when it stumbles. 

• 1 month later...

Well I was able to mostly correct the previous issue, for some reason a cell in the idle area got set to something ridiculously low but got that sorted. Have ECU wired in, wideband added and functioning with provision for retaining the oem narrowband because... why not. 

However, still have some issues on idle. RPM surging especially when cold, and even though AC Idle up is set at 100 rpm, it goes to almost 2k rpm. Attached are cold startup log and map. 

ANother issue noticed when driving last is that when warm it doesn't want to go below 1500 rpm when coming to a stop and will stay high reving unless you force the rpms down with the clutch and gear. Don't have a log of that just yet. 

• 1 month later...

Typical idle speed for these cars I typically set to about 800-900 rpm even on a stock engine as it is much smoother - even with AC off.  The ignition for a well tuned idle on these motors typically like to be about 14-18deg target.  Intermittent misfire/stalling at idle can often be attributed to trigger threshold settings as the distributors vary a bit in the voltage they provide from their magnets and can transmit a bit of noise, I can't see the logs due to the age of this thrread. 

Also just FYI the ST205 will need an output configured for the A2W intercooler pump and some additional wiring to make that work if you are still utilizing the OEM parts as they don't come pinned for the pump control at all from Link (pins B19 and B16 or Link labels 21 and 24).