How to shoot flames on a 1uz with no IAC

dingdongdrift

So i finally figured it out, i can now destroy exhaust valves whenever i please. I have a stock 1uz in my SC400 with the IAC removed and just idling with the throttle stop screw around 950rpm, anything below that and it won't idle during cold starts. For the last week i've been trying to get some flames to come out the exhaust, which it used to do on the stock ECU. I'm running a monsoonx btw. After messing around with the fuel values i finally got consistent flames that i can control and they don't just happen all the time. Obviously fuel cut on Decel is OFF. 

My timing from 3500-6500rpm is -5

VE table from 3500-6500rpm is 75 which gives me a lambda of around 0.8-0.85. anything more rich than that and nothing happens. 

now here's the best part, it only does it when i give it 3% throttle on Decel. if i close the throttle entirely nothing happens at all, which is great i think so it's not constantly just a flame thrower out the back. now i wanna figure out how to get my ECUmaster CAN keyboard to turn Fuel Cut on Decel on and off, cz holy crap i'm just dumping gas out. 

i know this won't work for everyone, but if you're dumb like me here's some base values to start messing around with. 

image.thumb.png.acb91241d3f5db48588e7638be78eba6.png

3 hours ago, dingdongdrift said:

now i wanna figure out how to get my ECUmaster CAN keyboard to turn Fuel Cut on Decel on and off, cz holy crap i'm just dumping gas out. 

Leave overrun fuel cut off but setup a gp rpm limit as shown here, it should act pretty much the same as the overrun fuel cut shown but won't cut when CAN DI 1 is active.

Capture.PNG

• 6 months later...

just wanted to update, i leaned out the high vacuum high RPM cells even more so now it just pops and bangs and shoots flames all the time. got tired of trying to give it the correct amount of throttle to get it to pop. but holy cow the pops are loud now, i flinch almost everytime now lol. 

On 4/25/2022 at 10:48 PM, dingdongdrift said:

just wanted to update, i leaned out the high vacuum high RPM cells even more so now it just pops and bangs and shoots flames all the time. got tired of trying to give it the correct amount of throttle to get it to pop. but holy cow the pops are loud now, i flinch almost everytime now lol. 

So when you say leaned out, what is the actual lambda you reaching and are you still at -5 degree ignition?

I tried this pop and bang thing myself too, but can't get any serious noise out of the exhaust. I would say it does more of a grousing but nothing loud.

Thanks

• 7 months later...

Hi @Vaughan, say I implement something like the one you're suggesting, can I also combine this with a 4d/5d ign table correction to trim the ign for during this "overrun" is activated? Just like the original ORFC function..

2. Since being silly sometimes requires the throttle to crack open a bit to give it some air, can I use e-throttle table 2, and set it to crack a bit at zero APS in a certain RPM range (even though in g4x it is recommended to leave that area 0).

3. Referring to #2, since being silly some times does not require dumping a lot of fuel, can i also use 4d/5d fuel table correction to trim some fuel out?

On 10/22/2021 at 4:07 AM, Vaughan said:

Leave overrun fuel cut off but setup a gp rpm limit as shown here, it should act pretty much the same as the overrun fuel cut shown but won't cut when CAN DI 1 is active.

Capture.PNG

On 12/19/2022 at 3:16 AM, superstockneo said:

say I implement something like the one you're suggesting, can I also combine this with a 4d/5d ign table correction to trim the ign for during this "overrun" is activated? Just like the original ORFC function..

Yes you can put the CAN DI in as the activation for the 4d/5d ignition and Fuel tables so that they are activated at the same time.

On 12/19/2022 at 3:16 AM, superstockneo said:

Since being silly sometimes requires the throttle to crack open a bit to give it some air, can I use e-throttle table 2, and set it to crack a bit at zero APS in a certain RPM range (even though in g4x it is recommended to leave that area 0).

You could do a 2nd E-Throttle table or if you are using the E-Throttle for idle control you could use the GP Idle trim setup to increase the throttle position when you are off the accelerator pedal.

6 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Yes you can put the CAN DI in as the activation for the 4d/5d ignition and Fuel tables so that they are activated at the same time.

You could do a 2nd E-Throttle table or if you are using the E-Throttle for idle control you could use the GP Idle trim setup to increase the throttle position when you are off the accelerator pedal.

Thanks @Vaughan. If I were to use the GP idle trim, it will tell the actuator to open by percentage, should the gp idle up RPM remain zero? Also would this function be locked out because of speed lockout since the car will be moving?

On 2nd thoughts gp idle isn't a table just a value and slapping CAN DI on the axis of the Idle base position table wouldn't give you the ability to remove the extra throttle at idle so 2nd E-Throttle table is probably the best option. Slap RPM on one axis and have 0% APS be something bigger than 0 at Engine speeds above like 2000rpm and 0% below ~2000rpm. Note the value you put in the e-throttle table isn't the exact value you're going to get, you're going to get some combination of the idle target and the E-Throttle target so have a play with it.

As a side note I recently had a play with one of my cars using antilag but only enabled under conditions that I want pops and bangs as Antilag gives you the ability to control cut percentage, ignition trim, fuel trim and it disables overrun fuel cut while active but I couldn't get it to work on my car due to what I suspect was too much vacuum/not enough air.

Just an update on this, I did try the GP RPM for fuel cut method to mimic ORFC. But once fuel cut comes in during decel, throttle becomes very lumpy when tapped or blipped. Haven't got around to get a log but will try to get one.

Did managed to get something silly with the cut off, but very mild pops i would say. Just pulled out timing on the 4d/5d ign, didn't add fuel tho.