Connecting a GPS09 to MX5Link with MXG 1.2

Ben80

Hi,

I'm about to install my MXG 1.2 with my MX5Link ECU. I've purchased a GPS09 to enable speed readings but I'm wondering what the GPS cable connects to? Do I need to get a another CAN to PCB connector and a CANF plug so that the GPS will plug into the ECU? As the MXG uses the CAN1 socket on the ECU I assume the GPS will need to connect to the CAN2 socket?

Are there any best locations to install the GPS?

Cheers,

Ben

GPS plugs in to the "EXP" socket that is hanging out of the main connector at the back of the dash.  

It wants the best view of the sky possible.  Typically mounting on the top of the dash pointing towards the sky through the windscreen is acceptable.  

I have the G4X plugin ECU and now have the CAN connectors. I can see the pinout for the CANF plug lists 6 wire colours and the wiring loom from the MXG has 5 wires. I assume I just need to solder in the CAN1+ (Grey wire) and the CAN1- (Blue wire) from the MXG into the CANF Plug?
What is the RESERVED (yellow) wire for from the MXG? Should I solder that into the CANF plug whilst I'm at it?

Ok, and CAN1+ (which is a grey wire on the MXG loom) should connect to pinout 6 Grey ECU Rx on the CANF plug or pinout 5 Yellow ECU Tx on the CANF plug as the grey wire on the MXG loom has TX written on it?

And similarly for the CAN1- (which is a blue wire on the MXG loom) should connect to pinout 2 Blue N/A on the CANF plug or pinout 6 Grey ECU Rx on the CANF plug as the blue wire on the MXG loom has RX written on it?

Ok, thanks again. I've got that loom wired up now. I noticed that the dash has another loom connector, is this to wire in things like indicators, driving lights etc from the OEM dash loom? Is there a wiring schematic I can refer to for the 2nd MXG plug?

IMG_7835.thumb.jpg.fae528ba351284eeab0dd5225bb2356c.jpg

Pinout is on page 72 of the manual:  https://www.aim-sportline.com/download/doc/eng/mx1.2-strada-series/MX1.2_Strada_Series_user_guide_101_eng.pdf

Indicators etc will be connected toi the analog inputs.  

See this doc for some basic information on connecting and configuring the warning light signals:  https://www.aim-sportline.com/download/faqs/eng/hardware/sensors/mx_series/FAQ_Sensors_MXx12_StradaSpieIcone_100_eng.pdf

Analog GND is "sensor ground", you would use this to ground any sensors that you connected to the dash.  More common for example if you have water temp and oil press connected directly to the dash rather than via the ECU.

Vbat output is a 12V output - you probably dont need it, but it is sometimes used for example to power a shift light, relay or speed sensor etc.  

Vref is the 5V output, generally used to power 5V sensors.

Low side output is a general purpose output - similar to the ecu aux outputs.  It could be used for a driver warning light or turn a fan on or whatever you like really.

Ok, thanks. Here is the back of my dash showing the relevant items.

So far I've allocated Temp M (engine temperature), G (ground), Beam (high beam), Turn R (right indicator), Turn L (left indicator), Charge (Battery), Brake (hand brake on/off), Fuel M (fuel level).

Do I need to grab IGN (Ignition) and ILL+ (parker lights)?

Oil Pressure and Water Temperature I can grab from the ECU as I have separate sensors for those wired straight into the G4X.

IMG_7922.thumb.jpg.4e60ad44a5d9544d697ca7d690e604fe.jpgIMG_7923.thumb.jpg.676d1ab36cad97557a0b209dca58703b.jpg

I've tried to get the left indicator working today but to no avail.

I put the indicator in pin 10 (Analogue input 4).
I set the CH04 to be Digital, close to VBatt, Momentary and created the Alarm.

But when I transmit to device nothing registers when I move the indicator stalk to left position?

For some reason I cannot see any channel data coming from my G4X? I've enabled CAN in the ECU.
I had a look at the wiring for the CANF plug and it was wrong. I've since corrected that but I'm still not seeing any ECU data coming through in the Live Measures screen. Any problem solving steps to run through? Clearly I've stuffed something up along the way somehow...

IMG_8045.jpg