Paddle Shift

VtrSp1

I think You can build strategy for it pretty easy with digital switches for requests of shift and some custom gp output strategy for actuators.

For example you don't have to control pressure with bottles from MME as they come with relay and it will remain pressure you have.

I have done it with m800 when I didn't have any outputs left and it worked great.

http://www.mme-motorsport.com/en/products/motec-gearbox-paddle-shift-kit-75100

@piotr

i have build for my race car the paddle shift strategy on the G4+ with some virtual aux, aux and digital input, safety condition ( max Rpm for downshift for each gear, double paddle pull in X time but only one shift etc) , air pressure controlled by the G4+. The upshift is on closed loop with barrel position . I can do driven upshift and overrun downshift. I do also a sequence for the upshift preload air to actuator before start the cut on upshift. It work great and I run a few race session on road race track and then after this I inspect the box for find some possible error on setup but all is very good ! The downshift is sweet and smooth on normal overrun and light/medium/hard braking condition!The very limit on G4+ is the internal logging at 100 Hz! 

I have play with a G4X Xtreme on customer car for test it  and on G4X there is more room for my instruction set but for more reliability I need :

- cut delayed after digital input upshift , this work as air actuator preload ( this help me in save a virtual aux and timer)

- throttle blip timed ( with ms table) but with upshift end shift mode to barrell! ( this help me in save a virtual aux and timer for other function). 

-ignition cut of fuel cut after downshift ( this help in save virtual aux and timer)

- some more flexibility in the G4X gear cut parameters 

At the moment I ask if Link have a paddleshift instruction set on a beta firmware or there is an eta because for a customer car is better use a paddleshift strategy instruction set build in the firmware (not editable with virtual aux etc). If link have a beta firmware for G4X with control for paddleshift on sequential gearbox I can test on my race car.

The G4X platform have a 1000 Hz log, faster CPU and in my opinion is a better platform Ecu compared to other brand .

there is two video of test on track with G4+ control paddleshift without a GCU in my race car.

The time for upshift is about the same with lever and load cell knob.. it’s from 90-100 mS on low gear and bumpy surface to 70 mS on high gear and flat surface.

The downshift time (it’s not important) but is fast at 140-150 mS in hard braking condition ( -1G deceleration )

We are working on a proper motorsport level paddleshift strategy at the moment.  It is not too far away, we have most of the basic functionality working and tested on the dyno only, but I would consider it at alpha level, not beta yet - still a few things we are changing around and testing what works and doesnt work.  Cant make any promises as to final release date yet, but it is one of my main focuses at the moment and we are making good progress.  The whole gearshift system (including normal manual shift) has been completely reworked and is quite complex so I would not be prepared to share a beta until it is closer to the final product has had much more internal testing.  

• 3 months later...
On 11/1/2021 at 1:24 AM, VtrSp1 said:

The time for upshift is about the same with lever and load cell knob.. it’s from 90-100 mS on low gear and bumpy surface to 70 mS on high gear and flat surface.

The downshift time (it’s not important) but is fast at 140-150 mS in hard braking condition ( -1G deceleration )

@VtrSp1 Bro, your setting was very nice on VDO. Regards to your quote above, I have feeling that my gear shift set up is way easier and faster on flat surface and sometime its quite difficult to shift (sequential gearbox) on Gravel bumpy surface like you mentioned above. It's Rally application. What parameter I should look for to adjust on gear shift control section? Thanks in advance.

Gravel gearshift has always been difficult since the amount of torque reversal you get to unload the dogs is highly influenced by how much traction there is available at shift initiation.  On the couple of cars I have set up I found we needed "a bit too much cut" for good traction conditions so we could get an acceptable shift when the traction conditions gave less drive.  In the next firmware release there are some big changes to gear shift control that will probably be of benefit to you.  In the new strategy we can have a different cut level for the initial dog unload stage Vs the later engagement stage of the shift.  It also has proper input/output shaft speed matching strategy which will probably give a more ideal shift for varying conditions.   I can give you a beta version to test if you want to give it a try - the gear shift will need completely tuning from scratch though - and there is no help file documentation yet. 

@adamw

That's super dope news!!
1) The beta version you are talking about is G4X, isn't it? If yes, this won't work for me yet coz I'm using Link Force GDI for my rally car (Ofcourse, can't wait to change to G4X as soon as it releases), any news?
2) The cut I'm using now is 90%cut and 10% retard, I also have tried 60%cut and 30% retard which doesn't make big different. Any suggestion I can do better?

Ah yes, this is the G4X forum so I was discussing G4X.  Try increasing cut, 95 or 100%.  It will likely feel like too much cut (some small hesitation or pause) for some shifts, especially on tarseal but this is usually needed to get reliable shifts when traction is low.  

Otherwise I will need to see a log to help much further.  Log all the gear related stuff at 100Hz - barrel pos, lever force, percent cut etc.  

@tbase

from my experience in this situation is better cut 100% ignition and use a soft retard for the torque reintroducing.

With the G4X use the log for the Gear position sensor at 500 Hz , this can help to see if the barrell rotation is sweet or stuck in any point. With the G4+ and 100hz log for example the barrell rotation look sweet but upgraded to G4X and use it at 500Hz it show the barrell stuck at the end of rotation and this help me to figure out a wear on a gear dog.

Don't try to reach a fast gearshift time, the goal is gearshift without wear  so the best time gearshift in that moment!

I have a logged that collected on G4X last year, Please give some advice if anything I should adjust or can be improve. What I noticed something is the Gear level force spike up from 50nm to 200 after shift end every time, should it be worried? 

Session has been mark as "SS1" in the log. Thanks in advance

https://we.tl/t-XWzjzP6jQM

On 3/4/2022 at 6:04 PM, tbase said:

I have a logged that collected on G4X last year, Please give some advice if anything I should adjust or can be improve. What I noticed something is the Gear level force spike up from 50nm to 200 after shift end every time, should it be worried? 

Session has been mark as "SS1" in the log. Thanks in advance

https://we.tl/t-XWzjzP6jQM

I need the calibration file for take a look :-)

@tbase,

look at the log, Barrell signal is very flat (no flux) so you can close the gear detection Vol Tollerance to 0.10.

I see the barrel in  the 2nd to 3rd gear upshift not sweet, so try to increasing the % cut and the retard.

try this setting in the next test.

Log all the gearshift data to 1000 Hz.

immagine.png.916dd722efa9c45d456ee2298a0b0109.png

Something very odd with that lever force trace.  The gear lever force flatlines the whole time the cut is present.  So I dont know if that is a firmware bug or something was corrupted in the log download or something else?  But it does not look real to me.  I havent seen it before with other gear shift logs.  I think you will need to log AN Volt 7 raw voltage as well for the next test.  There are some shifts where a cut hasnt occured due to a TPS lockout and the lever force shape looks more normal with no cut.  

Probably best to wait for the new firmware as it is not far away, has better gear shift control but will need the whole shift function re-tuned.  

• 2 weeks later...