No tacho after COP

don17

2 minutes ago, don17 said:

Since I have wired my coil packs and no longer using distributor for ignition but only for cam/crank signal, I have no tacho, I've been ready about a relay is needed to up the current, how exactly do I wiring it up ? It is a supralink ecu, 2JZGE NON VVTI SUPRA JZA80 1995

Make sure you use an Aux Inj or Aux Ign output and NOT a regular aux. I just did this on my MR2 after COP upgrade. Go ahead and open up the relay and remove the switch arm so you’re left with only the coil on 85 and 86.

44D0E9CC-9DB8-444B-86A2-F3B194719DFD.jpeg

You don't need a relay. 

The Supra NA tacho requires a resistor to be bypassed in order for the Link tacho signal to work. 

na tach mod resistor.JPG

Furthermore, the 2JZGE engine loom does not have a tachometer connection on Pin A16 (AUX1) from factory. So you will need to add a terminal to A16 on the ECU header. Run your new AUX1 & splice it into the wire going into Pin29 on the Orange 36 pin passenger footwell connector. 

9 hours ago, Adamw said:

As far as I remember the Supra tacho is a low level type.  Did you actually connect the old tacho wire to an aux when you removed the ignitor?

No, I haven't switched any wires around yet. Few different answers posted here, I don't really wanna pull the cluster out in worry if damaging anything else, so what exactly needs to be done

9 hours ago, 0x33 said:

You don't need a relay. 

The Supra NA tacho requires a resistor to be bypassed in order for the Link tacho signal to work. 

na tach mod resistor.JPG

Furthermore, the 2JZGE engine loom does not have a tachometer connection on Pin A16 (AUX1) from factory. So you will need to add a terminal to A16 on the ECU header. Run your new AUX1 & splice it into the wire going into Pin29 on the Orange 36 pin passenger footwell connector. 

Are you saying I need to do both? removing removing tacho garage and add a wire into AUX1, and splice into pin 29

If you dont want to pull the cluster out, then you will either need to use the relay coil or buy a commercially available tacho booster.  I have always used these with good sucess:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/142171581596  Or since you are in Aussie, this is the same device with a different sticker: https://www.justraceparts.com.au/jrp-tacho-booster-signal-adapter

This booster has to be connected between the ecu and the tacho.  The ECU outputs a 12V signal, but the tacho is originally designed for a ~50V signal.

2 hours ago, don17 said:

No, I haven't switched any wires around yet. Few different answers posted here, I don't really wanna pull the cluster out in worry if damaging anything else, so what exactly needs to be done

Are you saying I need to do both? removing removing tacho garage and add a wire into AUX1, and splice into pin 29

You won't damage anything, takes its like 6 screws to get the dials out. 

1) Remove tacho gauge, add resistor bypass wire as shown above, then reinstall tacho

2) Add a wire & terminal into AUX 1

3) Splice the other side of said wire in pin 29 of orange 36 pin connector. 

Don't waste your time with a relay, really not needed with a MK4 supra imo

4 hours ago, 0x33 said:

You won't damage anything, takes its like 6 screws to get the dials out. 

1) Remove tacho gauge, add resistor bypass wire as shown above, then reinstall tacho

2) Add a wire & terminal into AUX 1

3) Splice the other side of said wire in pin 29 of orange 36 pin connector. 

Don't waste your time with a relay, really not needed with a MK4 supra imo

Okay cheers for info

5 hours ago, Adamw said:

If you dont want to pull the cluster out, then you will either need to use the relay coil or buy a commercially available tacho booster.  I have always used these with good sucess:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/142171581596  Or since you are in Aussie, this is the same device with a different sticker: https://www.justraceparts.com.au/jrp-tacho-booster-signal-adapter

This booster has to be connected between the ecu and the tacho.  The ECU outputs a 12V signal, but the tacho is originally designed for a ~50V signal.

Thanks for the info

1 hour ago, 0x33 said:

Looks like you have wired it wrong. 

2043124595_Screenshot2021-12-05093535.thumb.png.257e57c01d9e9bb873571405877eb406.png

Needs to be A16 on the header above. 

image.png.5881a671d2ee7f84870809f5e068e227.png

Then Pin29 on orange 36 pin footwell connector

I have it wired to the pin in image above, but do I tap into the wire or cut and wire to one end? And if one end which 1? I thought a saw the garage twitch when I turned the key on

39 minutes ago, 0x33 said:

From ECU -> Splice into Pin 29 on orange conenctor.  

So from the ecu A16 to pin 29 going into the Orange plug ? I did try like this earlier didn't seem to work tho What settings are recommended to try changing in the ecu?

Screenshot_20211205-214951_Gallery.jpg

8 hours ago, 0x33 said:

Dude. Look at what you are doing versus what the diagrams show. You have it wired wrong still lol. 

image.thumb.png.86cc35e2d41bf23fa86134cb2575ad30.png

I've circled Pin 29 on the orange connector. You have cut Pin 36 which is your reverse light wire. 

All working, thanks for the help. I Will be able to get it tuned this week!!!