Question on Placement of the lambda sensor

UK Lee

So I've fitted my Link CAN-Lambda kit to my car and followed the link instructions by placing the sensor 1m away from the exhaust port. 
I've shared some pics of my install on a couple of forums , and straight away I'm getting stick for putting the sensor in the wrong place - I'm being told that for best performance , it should be right next to the turbo ? 

I'm wary of 'internet experts' so whats the deal ?

Lee

link ECU & Exhaust 19.jpg

its a big engine in a little car and space is at a premium. There's chance a chance I could put it horizontal but the car is very low and it would leave the sensor vulnerable. Besides which the instructions say it needs to be a few degrees above horizontal to avoid condensation issues. So the only place i have - 1 meter back from the turbo is in the gap between the gearbox and the gearbox tunnel.

I've been told that the 'best' place for it is just behind the turbo to avoid any 'lag' in the readings , and that nearly everyone (including OEM's) locate them this way. The instruction say that to protect the sensor from heat it should go a meter away . I'm just interested to hear what the 'ideal' is and really how much of an effect placement away from the ideal really has on its operation.

link ECU & Exhaust 22.jpg

You will be fine with the sensor in that location and it is better that the sensor is closest to vertical as possible to minimize condensation build up in the sensor on start up which can damage the heating element. 

There will not be much of a noticeable lag with the sensor that far from turbo.  Sensor on my down pipe is roughly the same distance from turbo. 

Closer to the turbo will reduce sensor life via extra heat.