Losing RPM signal after 6000RPM

Boltwizard

Attached tune and log.  KA24DE in an s13.

The RPM signal drops out over 6000RPM.  Tach goes to zero for anywhere from 2-6 seconds but only shows as a single frame in the log.  My tuner recommended replacing the Distributor/Cam Angle Sensor, but they are discontinued and I'm having a hard time tracking one down.  Are there any other possible causes for this or any fixes worth trying while I track down parts?

PC Datalog - 2022-05-9 6_31_37 pm.llgx eTune#3.pclx

Yeah in RB's I have seen as the optical sensor gets old the rise/fall time gets slow and this causes the width of the trigger 2 slots/windows to get shorter than they should be at high RPM.  So for example the ecu may expect the longest trigger 2 slot to be 24 trigger 1 teeth wide - but at medium RPM it only covers 23 teeth, then at high RPM it drops to 22 teeth and the ecu is not happy.  The ECU has a +/-1 tooth tolerance on the trigger 2 widths.

One possible option would be the AEM 24slot disk.  Start up will be slower, but the width of the slots no longer matters with this type of trigger pattern.  https://www.aemelectronics.com/products/sensors-connectors-accessories/nissan-cam-angle-sensor-discs

On 5/10/2022 at 6:10 PM, Adamw said:

Yeah in RB's I have seen as the optical sensor gets old the rise/fall time gets slow and this causes the width of the trigger 2 slots/windows to get shorter than they should be at high RPM.  So for example the ecu may expect the longest trigger 2 slot to be 24 trigger 1 teeth wide - but at medium RPM it only covers 23 teeth, then at high RPM it drops to 22 teeth and the ecu is not happy.  The ECU has a +/-1 tooth tolerance on the trigger 2 widths.

One possible option would be the AEM 24slot disk.  Start up will be slower, but the width of the slots no longer matters with this type of trigger pattern.  https://www.aemelectronics.com/products/sensors-connectors-accessories/nissan-cam-angle-sensor-discs

Your explanation makes sense and the AEM disk solved my problems.  thank you! :)