tune file from G4+ not working on G4X

CMSport

Hey guys I've just setup a known working tune file on a G4X Monsoon that I have previously been using in a race car on a G4+ Monsoon ECU and it won't fire. I made a new wiring loom for this ECU also, identical to the previous loom so to check that it's not my wiring at fault I tried the new wire harness with the old ECU and it worked perfectly, as usual. I also tried my old wire harness with the new ECU and wouldn't fire so the issue must be in the setup/ECU. 

I have been through the program multiple times now and I can't spot my mistake. I'm hoping that there's some new trick with the G4X that I'm unaware of that someone might be able to point out. 

I've attached both the G4+ and G4X tune files and a log of cranking on the G4X

Cheers

Tim

2NZFE turbo file G4X.pclx 2NZFE turbo file G4+.pclr PC Datalog - 2022-08-10 2;56;17 pm.llgx

18 minutes ago, essb00 said:

What engine is the G4X Monsoon on now?
On the G4X file trigger mode Daihatsu K3-VE (VVT) is selected.
On the G4+ Monsoon file trigger mode Toyota 2NZ VVTi is selected.

sorry that's a mistake in the file uploaded. They are both running on a K3 but the 2NZ trigger is identical to K3 so no discrepancy there.
I was however interested to test whether the K3 trigger file setup was done in a way that meant I could leave the sync numbers at zero and it would work or if I would end up with the same numbers as I use normally with the 2NZ file but given that I can't even get it running on the original 2NZ setup, that's still only a thought experiment. 

K3-VE normally has 36-2-2-2 on the crank (like a subaru), 2NZ only has one gap, 36-2.   Having said that it looks like the ecu is happy with the trigger in your log. 

Did you check the base timing?  Did you try the offset +360?  It looks like all the basics are working in the log so would suggest a spark timing issue. 

Some of the OEM trigger modes have offset built in in the G4X where as G4+ some didnt. 

Just now, Adamw said:

K3-VE normally has 36-2-2-2 on the crank (like a subaru), 2NZ only has one gap, 36-2.   Having said that it looks like the ecu is happy with the trigger in your log. 

Did you check the base timing?  Did you try the offset +360?  It looks like all the basics are working in the log so would suggest a spark timing issue. 

Some of the OEM trigger modes have offset built in in the G4X where as G4+ some didnt. 

Thanks for that - sorry I typed my last reply in a bit of a rush so wasn't completely coherent. 

I have only attempted to run the 2NZ trigger setup, as this is what works on the engines I've tuned using the G4+. This is what was being used when I recorded the log file but when I uploaded the tune file in my first post I must have grabbed the wrong file and one that I had saved to investigate the new K3 trigger.

You're correct, the "K3-VE" uses the 36-2-2-2 (same as 3SZ-VE) which was produced from '05 onward whereas the older "K3-VE2" and "K3-VET" solely use the 36-2 and these were produced from '98 through to '05. Part of my curiosity in trying this new trigger setup option was to know which trigger you have assigned to it exactly, which you've just answered for me :) 

OK so I assumed that there would be no reason for the trigger offset to be different in the G4X from the G4+ tune file. Perhaps that's what's not working for me. I'll try again shortly with it offset 360deg. I've set up enough of them on the G4+ now to know that if you set the offset to 144 that the timing is bang on every time. 

Cheers

Tim

24 minutes ago, CMSport said:

I've set up enough of them on the G4+ now to know that if you set the offset to 144 that the timing is bang on every time. 

Possibly also 0 in G4X.  When adding trigger modes to the G4X, if the engineers have confident info of the normal trigger offset they will build it into the trigger code so the offset is close to zero to make first time setup easier for new users.  I cant tell you off the top of my head whether the G4X 2NZ mode has the offset built-in or not.   

1 hour ago, Adamw said:

Possibly also 0 in G4X.  When adding trigger modes to the G4X, if the engineers have confident info of the normal trigger offset they will build it into the trigger code so the offset is close to zero to make first time setup easier for new users.  I cant tell you off the top of my head whether the G4X 2NZ mode has the offset built-in or not.   

This was it! Fool on me for thinking that things would be the same on the new ECU and not checking the offset first with the light... running now and happy as, thanks mate