engine revs to rev limit on start, wont idle properly

Mikeboosty

Im running a 95 miata with a 03 vvt motor on a g4x pnp

so I just fixed my trigger wiring, base timing set, set the injector max pw to 10 ms for my 700cc injectors.

after logging this odd behavior I see my injector duty cycle being requested at 8% while my pw is a 7ms? (70% open).

I have my rev limit set to 1500 just so I don't abuse this freshly built motor, cause otherwise it will go to redline (highest ive seen it go was 5500 and that was first start.

startsbutrevsdumb.llgx tune so far.pclx

Any internal combustion engine will need air to "rev".  If it can reach 5500RPM with the throttle closed then you have a large amount of air getting in somewhere (ie a big leak).  Your idle valve isnt open much so I dont think that is the "leak".

2 hours ago, Mikeboosty said:

after logging this odd behavior I see my injector duty cycle being requested at 8% while my pw is a 7ms? (70% open).

A PW of 7ms would only be 70%DC at 12000RPM.   At say 2000RPM, the cycle time is 60ms, so 7ms out of a 60ms cycle would be around your 8%DC.  

okay maybe some intake bolts and my egr block off plates weren't tightened properly at all lol. But now there is no substantial leak and with the rev limiter set to 2k itll still go there and fuel cut, havent tried anything higher because I want to break in my motor not break it.

You can try unpluging the IAC - or setting the idle base position to 0% to make sure there is no air going through the idle valve - but otherwise if RPM is still high, then the engine is still getting more air that it needs to idle.  So either still a leak somewhere or the throttle blade isnt closing enough.  

46 minutes ago, Adamw said:

You can try unpluging the IAC - or setting the idle base position to 0% to make sure there is no air going through the idle valve - but otherwise if RPM is still high, then the engine is still getting more air that it needs to idle.  So either still a leak somewhere or the throttle blade isnt closing enough.  

guess ill bring it into work and get the smoke machine out

• 4 weeks later...