Parallel High Power Outputs

thedbaz

hello, i am getting a Razor PDM to run my fuel system. i currently have the 350z PNP ECU.

i am going to run a DW 5.5L surge tank with 1 DW300 on stage one as the normal pump and 2 DW400 pumps as the second stage.

the DW300 pump runs 14.7A at 90psi, so that will be covered with one single output.

the DW400 pump runs 20.1A at 90psi, so 2 of them will be 40.2A. 

the unfortunate thing about the DW surge tanks is that there only have 2 connection points, stage 1 and stage 2.

so im wondering if i can parallel up two of the High Power Outputs to run the two pumps, as there is no way to add a third set of contacts for a third stage.

i would also like to use the flex sensor to go into the PDM, or would it be best to have it go into the ECU?

in the spec sheet, i do not see the recommended input fuse size, what size is needed? 

is there an installation or instruction sheet available? i cant seem to find it on the webpage other than the spec sheet.

also which ignition signal would i need to get form the ECU to wire into the IGN input on the PDM? would i use D10 pin 109 on the stock harness?

stage one:

will come on with the stock in tank pump and was looking to use HPO#1.

im guessing that i can set this up in the ECU to turn on the normal pump and the surge tank stage one pump through the PDM?

stage two:

will come on at say 10 psi and turn on both pumps.

i was hoping to use HPO#3 and HPO#4 for this and parallel the wires up onto the stage 2 contacts.

i was also told i could PWM these pumps through the PDM.

how would i go about doing that?

based on TPS and Load(MAP)?

thank you for the help!!

below are links to the pumps and surge tank.

Surge Tank: 

https://deatschwerks.com/collections/surge-tanks/products/6-401-55st-1

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0414/1681/8852/files/DW5.5SST_Surge_Tank_6-000-55ST.pdf?v=1617899103

Pump Characterizations: 

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0414/1681/8852/files/DW_Pump_Complete_Flow_Data_7ed55481-47b9-4186-83e2-785a45aaa39a.xlsx?v=1676650171

11 hours ago, thedbaz said:

hello, i am getting a Razor PDM to run my fuel system. i currently have the 350z PNP ECU.

i am going to run a DW 5.5L surge tank with 1 DW300 on stage one as the normal pump and 2 DW400 pumps as the second stage.

the DW300 pump runs 14.7A at 90psi, so that will be covered with one single output.

the DW400 pump runs 20.1A at 90psi, so 2 of them will be 40.2A. 

the unfortunate thing about the DW surge tanks is that there only have 2 connection points, stage 1 and stage 2.

so im wondering if i can parallel up two of the High Power Outputs to run the two pumps, as there is no way to add a third set of contacts for a third stage.

i would also like to use the flex sensor to go into the PDM, or would it be best to have it go into the ECU?

in the spec sheet, i do not see the recommended input fuse size, what size is needed? 

is there an installation or instruction sheet available? i cant seem to find it on the webpage other than the spec sheet.

also which ignition signal would i need to get form the ECU to wire into the IGN input on the PDM? would i use D10 pin 109 on the stock harness?

stage one:

will come on with the stock in tank pump and was looking to use HPO#1.

im guessing that i can set this up in the ECU to turn on the normal pump and the surge tank stage one pump through the PDM?

stage two:

will come on at say 10 psi and turn on both pumps.

i was hoping to use HPO#3 and HPO#4 for this and parallel the wires up onto the stage 2 contacts.

i was also told i could PWM these pumps through the PDM.

how would i go about doing that?

based on TPS and Load(MAP)?

thank you for the help!!

below are links to the pumps and surge tank.

Surge Tank: 

https://deatschwerks.com/collections/surge-tanks/products/6-401-55st-1

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0414/1681/8852/files/DW5.5SST_Surge_Tank_6-000-55ST.pdf?v=1617899103

Pump Characterizations: 

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0414/1681/8852/files/DW_Pump_Complete_Flow_Data_7ed55481-47b9-4186-83e2-785a45aaa39a.xlsx?v=1676650171

are you planning to run 40+psi of boost?  what's the target hp? 

I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to use 2 outputs together, as long as the control of those outputs is the same. 

Ethanol sensor currently only allows for a DI input to assign into the ecu, this could be something addressed in the firmware but currently I would expect if you want the ecu to control fuel properly when switching between pump and e85 it will need to be wired direct to the ecu. 

On 4/1/2023 at 3:21 AM, Electredge said:

Ethanol sensor currently only allows for a DI input to assign into the ecu, this could be something addressed in the firmware but currently I would expect if you want the ecu to control fuel properly when switching between pump and e85 it will need to be wired direct to the ecu. 

ok great thank you. i have it currectly wired into the ECU, was just going to relocate it to the PDM since it would be right next to it.

On 4/1/2023 at 3:21 AM, Electredge said:

are you planning to run 40+psi of boost?  what's the target hp? 

currently we push 40psi of boost on our YSI supercharged 350z. its probably making in the 1000hp area, but we've never dynoed it. just take it to the dragstrip.

my 350z is a single turbo setup, im not sure of the boost level yet. i just dont want to run out power or pump.

On 4/1/2023 at 9:58 PM, Adamw said:

At the moment you can run outputs in parallel for on/off type control only, not PWM.  

ok great thank you.

14 hours ago, thedbaz said:

ok great thank you. i have it currectly wired into the ECU, was just going to relocate it to the PDM since it would be right next to it.

currently we push 40psi of boost on our YSI supercharged 350z. its probably making in the 1000hp area, but we've never dynoed it. just take it to the dragstrip.

my 350z is a single turbo setup, im not sure of the boost level yet. i just dont want to run out power or pump.

ok great thank you.

what kind of racing are you using it for? drag? drift? track?

6 hours ago, thedbaz said:

drag and street car.

thats good, then you will only be at peak power / peak current draw for roughly a few seconds at a time... this will very likely not be a problem at all as it will not be running at that peak level long enough to cause any problems as long as the proper wire size is used. settings below as an example

Screenshot 2023-04-04 170358.png

• 8 months later...

well i am finally getting around to installing this.

when pairing the outputs, can you pair 3 of them together?
i will use output 1 for stage 1 which is a single DW400 pump. 

i will use outputs 3 and 4 for stage 2 which has 2 DW400 pumps.

if the inrush is high, am i able to pair output 2 with outputs 3 and 4 to cover the inrush current?