Scaling display of layouts in PCLink

Pete_89t2

Here's something for the wish list that would apply to the PCLink tuning software, that preferably could be applied to both G4X and G4+ versions. Would it be possible to add a "Layout Display Scaling" function to the software?

What I'm thinking of would take the existing user's layout (i.e., applies globally to all pages/tabs), and proportionally scales the horizontal & vertical size of the original layout on each page/tab up or down by a user defined percentage. The idea here is that if you have an existing layout you like that fills the screen of one laptop, and then switch to a different tuning laptop/tablet, with a different screen size/resolution, you wouldn't have to go thru the tedious process of editing your existing layout to fit/fill the screens on the new device - just play with the new global scaling feature instead.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

My concern with this as an idea would be whether or not the text size is supposed to scale with everything else, if you have a big layout on a big screen and try to reduce it down to a smaller screen you can either scale the text to fit at which point it could become unreadable or if you don't reduce the text size then you can't actually reduce everything down without text overlapping or being hidden behind things.

14 hours ago, Vaughan said:

My concern with this as an idea would be whether or not the text size is supposed to scale with everything else, if you have a big layout on a big screen and try to reduce it down to a smaller screen you can either scale the text to fit at which point it could become unreadable or if you don't reduce the text size then you can't actually reduce everything down without text overlapping or being hidden behind things.

Thanks Vaughan, I can see how the text scaling can be a problem. Perhaps instead of trying to make the user scaling feature continuously variable, maybe try implementing a few switchable display settings that would cover most of the common laptop/tablet/desktop screen size resolutions?

We do supply two different sets of layouts each in two different resolutions with G4X PCLink, if you setup a display to suit a larger screen you will still run into the same issue with putting it on a smaller screen regardless of whether it is continuously variable or several specific options. The best way to have one layout to suit several screen sizes is to make a layout to suit your smallest screen and use that on all screens.