Gear Position sensor

RussT400

Regarding Digital Inputs.

my Quaiffe gearbox has a non contact hall sensor gear position sensor. Non intrusive to the gearbox as sits on an alloy blank surface plate.

I have a g4x Fury possibly to wire in to the car with e throttle and all other to make it work….. it’s just the gear position input is going to be digital and maybe a problem before fitting, as not the analogue as it seems the ecu requires????

please help!!!!! Has this been done already 

IMG_0366.jpeg

This looks similar to the one on my gearbox. If it has 3 wires then it will be the same. One for 5v input, ground and the signal. If that the case it will give different voltage for each gear. Which the ECU will work with.

Otherwise this sensor isnt a position sensor. I cant see how it could otherwise send a signal for which gear has been selected. Unless it give a variable resistance which is it does you can use it as an analog  sensor and just use the pull up/down resister to make it work  

9 hours ago, Adamw said:

That is a non contact sensor but it outputs a normal 0-5v analog output.  Variohm do make a digital/pwm version but no Motorsport gearbox would use that type.  

So just connect the sensor to the ‘analogue inputs’ same as a 5v tps…..?

Does this mean it’s not a hall sensor as they are digital ? As supplied by Momentum Motorsport as labelled ‘Hall Sensor’

this sensor previously was wired to be showing the gear number on a small display.

I’ll test it when I get in the garage for output voltage…

Thankyou for your help!

PWM(Pulse Width Modulation) is a form of output from the ECU. I think what you mean is just the pulses themselves that are measured by a hall effect sensor?
Its weird that you would have a hall sensor as a gear position sensor. It would usually be used for gear speed instead

10 minutes ago, Calvin said:

PWM(Pulse Width Modulation) is a form of output from the ECU. I think what you mean is just the pulses themselves that are measured by a hall effect sensor?
Its weird that you would have a hall sensor as a gear position sensor. It would usually be used for gear speed instead

I get it now!

image.png.03ad0026681fb8e9b5328b482d20b996.png

If its the same sort of thing  as mine is detects how close the metal/magnet. Then by wizardry converts that to a voltage, its not just on or off.

No you dont have to convert any signal. When its all wire into the ecu just look and the AN Volt input its on. Open and view the parameters voltage, and enter this into the relevant gears voltage. The output from this sensor will be constant and will be between 0.5 and 4.5volts. 

The lugs on the side of the sensor allow you to position it to get the best signal, ie  the best separation of voltage between the gears. Depending on which gearbox it is sometime the same signal is given for 1st and reverse. 

Mine one of these but its the same  

https://s1sequential.com/product/rotary-position-sensor/?ph=b82a332abf8a7f066ad85174

The sensor uses a modern hall effect it needs a 5v supply and will output a voltage between 0-5v depending on the position of the magnet inside the shifter. Its not a conventional hall effect sensor it just uses the hall effect to work.

https://en.ad-asahidenso.co.jp/technology/sensing-technologies/gear-position-sensor/

I wouldnt worry about what its called, just that it needs a 5v supply to give a signal voltage which will let the ecu know which gears has been selected.