i88 to IQ3 Data Incorrect

Aspkiller

I'm running a ViPec i88 with an IQ3 and the RacePak module is the LINK CAN version. All data is promptly and accurately displayed, except for AFR / Lambda, which is nowhere near correct. RPM is displayed, but is very slow (making shift lights useless). After 8 weeks of promises from everyone at RacePak each time I call, including the GM promising an immediate response, there has been zero response. Perhaps you can tell me if you have had any issues with how the packets are being sent for these two parameters, and/or point me in another direction. I can live without a dash display of AFR, but I really need the RPM signal for shifting. Thanks.

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late response-

RacePak sells a CAN module for the LINK that RacePak said would work with the ViPec, except (apparently) for RPM and AFR streams. RPM is behind the curve and AFR is just flat wrong and updating so fast it can't really be read.

Larry

Maybe there is some sort of filtering or issue with the dash? The lambda problem is probably to do with the fact that it is now sent as Lambda instead of AFR. You will need to correct the value in the dash which is usually not a problem.

• 1 month later...
Maybe there is some sort of filtering or issue with the dash? The lambda problem is probably to do with the fact that it is now sent as Lambda instead of AFR. You will need to correct the value in the dash which is usually not a problem.

I am have the same problem with my Racepack dash IQ3 Simon...Can you help me solve this.. I try to email NGK AFX to try to get the correct value with no response from them... I even email Racepack for help... What a nightmare to get this to work properly.... I am using a V88 in my car....

Hi Jose,

what is your issue exactly, are you trying to get the data from your NGK AFX through CAN BUS to your IQ3 DASH.

Regards

Dave.

Yes that is exactly what I am trying to do...all my other sensors are getting display correctly in my dash through CAN BUS.

The dash is not showing the AFR from the Vipec correctly. The Vipec and NGk wideband are in sink they both reading the same .. Is like the AFR info send from the Vipec to the racepack dash display is getting change somehow...

Jose,

Have you selected the AN volt input that the NGK WB input is setup on or have you selected WIDEBAND 1 as the data source for the dash to receive.

Can you post a screen shot of your CAN BUS settings.

Regards

Dave.

I will post a screen shot of my CAn BUS tomorrow. I really don't know how to answer your question Dave... In my dash software I selected the input that the NGK wideband is connected to the Vipec...

Hi Jose,

I am only familiar with MoTeC dashes sorry, I have set up plenty of them.

Looking at that CAN TEMPLATE if that is for the WIDEBAND it is setup for voltage output,

Minimum and maximum result is 0 and 5 volts, result unit is VOLTS.

Once again I don't know how this dash works, but to me it would be a 0 to 5 volt and result unit would be AFR, I would assume.

Also the data sent to the dash have you selected in the CAN setup in the ECU software for the AN VOLT that you have setup for WB to be transmitted to the dash or WIDEBAND 1.

Regards

Dave.

Hi Jose,

I am only familiar with MoTeC dashes sorry, I have set up plenty of them.

Looking at that CAN TEMPLATE if that is for the WIDEBAND it is setup for voltage output,

Minimum and maximum result is 0 and 5 volts, result unit is VOLTS.

Once again I don't know how this dash works, but to me it would be a 0 to 5 volt and result unit would be AFR, I would assume.

Also the data sent to the dash have you selected in the CAN setup in the ECU software for the AN VOLT that you have setup for WB to be transmitted to the dash or WIDEBAND 1.

Regards

Dave.

Dave thank for yout help... I am responding to your reply and suggestions with out knowing it was you.. :)

I Got this from NGK toda:

Hello,

Raw A should be 0 volts and = 9AFR

Raw B should be 5 volts and = 16 AFR

Best Regards,

Jason Norwood

NGK Spark Plugs ( USA) Inc.

Technical Services Supervisor – Aftermarket Division

46929 Magellan Drive

Wixom, MI 48393

Office: (248)-926-7107

Fax: (248)-926-6938

Email: [email protected]

ASE Certified

Ngksparkplug

Hi mate,

that's OK.

Yes the 0 volt @ 9:1 and 5 volt @ 16:1 is correct for the NGK AFX.

What I am trying to figure is, does the dash want to see the voltage or the AFR value,

does the data from the ECU need to be metric, example transmit data to a MoTeC dash needs to be in metric and then can be converted to imperial within the dash software.

So in my example data from the ECU is Lambda and the value is converted to AFR in the dash software.

What version of dash and dash software are you using, I will download it and see if I can sort it for you.

Regards

Dave.

Dave I had no chance to take the Can Bus pic today..

info on the Racepack software:

Race Pack Data II ..you can download front their webpage

Tomorrow I have a tune session with Dave from Dtech Motorsport..

I get the pics during that time...

Jose

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi AXA

If you were willing to send the CAN vnet module over to us we have a dash here we can check with.

Issue will be if its at the Racepak end there is not much we can do.

Hi AXA

If you were willing to send the CAN vnet module over to us we have a dash here we can check with.

Issue will be if its at the Racepak end there is not much we can do.

Thank you Simon for the reply and effort.. Is to far for me to send you my can unet cable just to tests something out, I live in Miami Florida USA... It doesn't bother me that much, I have learned to live without it .. Everything else get display correctly in the Racepack dash: RPM, oil pressure, boost, battery volts and water temperature... 

Plus I have my new Vipec I88 on the way from NZEFI and need to play with my new ECU and dash...   I think I got their last Vipec I88 in stock.

Let see if I get a different result with the I88 and the Racepack dash... Will report back in a few days...

Simon sorry to jump to a different subject but I need help setting up my traction control in my car before the New ECU gets here ... I have no ABS system on my 1984 Mazda FB RX7 for me to get a signal to the Vipec ... What sensor will I need and where do you recommend installing it on the car....  

Thanks again for taking the time to help me and the community to troubleshoot in timely manner. This is one of the reasons I am loyal to the Link/Vipec ECU .... Between Link and my tuner Dave Heerdegen from Dtech Motorsport I have a winning combination for my tuning needs..

Jose

Hi Jose,

Let us know how the IQ3 goes with the i88.

The traction control requires a driven and non-driven wheel speed source. Your RX7 more than likely has a driven wheel speed source from the gearbox speed sensor. The non-driven wheel speed source is going to be connected to one of the ECU's Digital Input channels, these channels can accept an input frequency of 500 Hz maximum, so this means the number of teeth your non-driven wheel speed sensor sees is going to have to be fairly low. 

500Hz / 12 teeth = 41.67 wheel revolutions per second

If your wheel has a diameter of 0.65m you have a circumference of 2.10m, so you can do up to 87.5 meters per second (41.67*2.10), which is 315 km/h

24 teeth would halve the max km/h but give better resolution.

I'm unsure where the best place to mount the sensor and wheel are going to be, this is going to depend on where you can physically fit it. Was there a later ABS sensor mount that would fit your car?

Edited by Scott
typos

Hi Jose,

Let us know how the IQ3 goes with the i88.

The traction control requires a driven and non-driven wheel speed source. Your RX7 more than likely has a driven wheel speed source from the gearbox speed sensor. The non-driven wheel speed source is going to be connected to one of the ECU's Digital Input channels, these channels can accept an input frequency of 500 Hz maximum, so this means the number of teeth your non-driven wheel speed sensor sees is going to have to be fairly low. 

500Hz / 12 teeth = 41.67 wheel revolutions per second

If your wheel has a diameter of 0.65m you have a circumference of 2.10m, so you can do up to 87.5 meters per second (41.67*2.10), which is 315 km/h

24 teeth would halve the max km/h but give better resolution.

I'm unsure where the best place to mount the sensor and wheel are going to be, this is going to depend on where you can physically fit it. Was there a later ABS sensor mount that would fit your car?

Scott can you please help which speed sensor is the one I need?

http://www.lms-efi.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=116

http://www.lms-efi.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=117   

Thanks again..

Jose

Hi Jose,

We have found that the Honeywell GT101 sensor has problems when seeing a high frequency, so I would not recommend using that sensor. I've not used the Cherry sensor before, but according to the data sheet it can handle up to 15,000 Hz, so should work well.

Scott.

Hi Jose,

We have found that the Honeywell GT101 sensor has problems when seeing a high frequency, so I would not recommend using that sensor. I've not used the Cherry sensor before, but according to the data sheet it can handle up to 15,000 Hz, so should work well.

Scott.

Thank you Sir.. will be ordering the cherry sensor...

Jose