Setting up a newly built 2uzfe

scribb

I just finished building a 2uz rebuilt for my 2005 4Runner and I've reached a point where I really need some help. Here's my situation: 

I hydro-locked the original motor and decided to have a new motor built for the truck. I decided on N/A, built it out at 10.5:1 compression, with forged rods and pistons, Kelford 208b cams, and Victory (bosch) 650 cfm injectors. I had a custom wiring harness made that piggy backs the StormX on the stock ECU, which was left in place to run the automatic transmission. 

I haven't even started the motor for the first time, and I'm already talking to my 3rd tuner after the others bailed on dealing with an automatic. I'm in California, and haven't been able to find any other tuners familiar with 2uz motors. The third tuner is hanging on to see how the initial start and run in goes before committing to try to tune it. 

So, I'm trying to figure out the strategy and logistics for start up and run in. The builder recommended an initial motor run in neutral at varying RPMs for several minutes, then run-in drives up to no more than 50 miles at various non-aggressive speeds. Then an oil change, then ideally 500 miles more of easy miles and an oil change again before tuning. 

What I'm looking for help with is: 

1. Where to find the best baseline map for a 2uz vvti. 

2. How to program the safest modifications to the map to accommodate a Kelford 208b cam, 10.5:1 compression, and 650 cfm injectors. 

3. Do you know a good tuner in California that can tune an automatic 4Runner? If not, can you point me to anything documented on dealing with automatics with piggy-backed ECUs that would be encouraging to my current tuner? 

I'm familiar with programming so I can find my way around the application, but I'm a complete newbie programming ECUs. 

Thank you!

2005 changed to a newer trans A750E - so not sure how similar that would be to an A340E.  I have no idea what all is going to be needed by or supplied by the trans to the OEM ecu, and what signals will need to run to both and keep the OEM ecu happy - so having that well documented will be key in making this all work I feel.

Regarding starting and running the motor: I don't think there should be too much struggle with operating the motor as long as the DBW (E-Throttle) calibrates.  Bulding a base map shouldn't be too difficult - assigning all your inputs/outputs would be the most work, and then testing and verifying they are functioning.   Ideally you would have some way for the ECU to know what gear you're in and when it's changing gears to possibly enable some torque management.  It looks like you have VVT-i only on the intake cam, so that's not going to prove too much issue as not controlling it should basically run that cam fully retarded, and controlling it once calibrated will greatly improve the mid-range.  Full sequential and modelled fueling should make the basic fuel table look pretty much like most as a starting point, then tune from there.  Is your tuner not willing to help you work through these setup issues and base map building?

EDIT: I just noticed your information under your name says Storm+, but this is posted in the G4X forum - which version storm ecu do you have?  The G4+ won't control the E-throttle internally - did you change to a cable throttle body?

The box says StormX G4X, but when I input my serial number the forum automatically listed it as Storm+ on my profile. (?)

At the moment, the tuner is unsure if they can help--I guess given some of the uncertainties you've noted. I'm trying to do the due diligence to take as many questions off the table as possible. 

I got the wiring harness through XAT Racing, and they set up the piggyback wiring. I'll see what I can figure out with regard to how the signals are divided and routed to the stock ECU and Link ECU. Really appreciate your feedback. 

It doesn't look like there's any communication between the transmission and the Link ecu. The wiring harness was built to separate engine management and route it to the Link ecu, and retain the transmission management with the original Toyota ecu. 

I have no idea how the system works--does the transmission communicate back out to the ecu what gear it's in? Or does the ecu set the transmission gear and not need a confirmation signal? 

Does anyone have any positive experience getting this worked out? 

You havent really provided any info to help.  The loom manufacturer should probably be the first port of call for questions about which ecu is controlling what functions and what needs to be set up in the engine ecu to making the trans ecu happy, all this would have had to be planned before making the harness. 

If you cant get that info from the loom manufacturer then if you can provide all the loom documentation and a copy of the tune and log from the ecu and a better description of the problem you are trying to solve then we may be able to offer more relevant advice.   

6 hours ago, Adamw said:

You havent really provided any info to help.

I appreciate the feedback. Everything went smoothly with the build until I got to the point of tuning, and suddenly everywhere I go it's "wait, what, it's an automatic?" So I'm trying to figure this out after finding myself unexpectedly in the deep end.  

I've reached out to the loom manufacturer for more details. For whatever it's worth, here's what they say on the page about it:

"As of right now, we only have support for automatic transmissions if you run the factory ECU for them... On Toyotas specifically, the factory chassis ECU gets retained for MultiPlex compatibility, meaning the factory ECU will control the A/C, gauge cluster, throttle, auto transmission, ABS, etc. "

I'll get as detailed a spec as I can and post it back. 

Thanks.