Going Lean new setup

jvalcamp

New to link but I have been tuning DSM's for over 10 years. I just installed Xtreme in my 2G. Details on setup: 2.0L, G35-1050 turbo with twin scroll T4, side exit, Magnus IM, Kelford 272 cams, mechanical fuel pump, 2150 injectors. Base fuel pressure set to 50 psi (lowest I can go). Currently running pump gas but will be switching to e85 as soon as I figure out fueling.

I went out for first test drive last night and it drove OK but would go dangerously lean as rpm and load came up. I am assuming I have something configured or calibrated wrong but am unable to find it. It seems that to make appropriate fuel table changes that I would have to nearly double, putting me at almost 150 which does not seem right. 

My base fuel table was taken from Evo 1-3 then globally scaled until idle gave Lambda equal to target. I was hoping this would be at least close to being right as it actually was close to matching my previous DSMLink VE table. My assumption is it's either something in the Fuel Table or injector setup.

Appreciate any help and feel free to criticize anything you see not right.

Have you verified that the injector deadtimes are correct? If not it would make the modelled mode incorrect once it starts doing compensations. Also, since you're using modelled, you should disable the IAT corrections and use the Charge Temperature Approximation Table, otherwise it compensates twice. Similarly for the Warmup Enrichment. I personally use the overlay target table to run closed loop during warmup, and target richer AFRs until up to temp.

I agree with Ricardo that your deadtimes should be double checked, but on boost they are going to have less impact as the duty cycle is much higher. 

Is your fuel pressure actually tracking changes in manifold pressure?  It looks like it's idling at 1800rpm - and has 40-45kpa, are you seeing a drop in fuel pressure to 42-43psi?  And is it increasing in pressure from the base when on boost?  Also note that most wideband setup are not going to be super linear outside of the 11-15:1 AFR range so it may not be "doubling" your fuel table that is requried.  I would try just mulitplying everything on boost by 1.25 (25% increase) and see if it comes down to something closer to your desired AFR or if you're moving in the right direction. 

Misfiring or air leaks near the o2 can also cause it to read lean - was it smooth on boost or did you feel it surging/rough?

Appreciate the feedback. I like the Deadtime procedure and will check that once back home. I should be able to do that for at least two voltages. Alternator charging and not charging. 
Like Koracing mentioned though, this won’t likely have a big impact on higher load conditions. 
to answer your question, the fpr is functioning properly and rising roughly 1:1 with boost pressure. 
The one question I have is I have entered the injector flow rate at it’s 43.5 psi fuel pressure yet I am running about 50 psi base fp. Do I need to have the flow rate entered to match my base fuel pressure?

I assume using Bernoulli's principle that flow rate would automatically be adjusted in the fuel calculation by the ecu.  That said, the injectors being reported as smaller than they may actually be flowing would likely yield higher fuel pulse width commanded output by the fuel calculation than with a larger injector.  I don't see that being the culprit for your issue. 

Im suspicious of your MAP sensor calibration.  The fuel pressure actually increases by significantly more than the expected 1:1 ratio with MGP.  

Snip below shows a 209kpa FP increase for a 102Kpa MGP increase.  It could potentially be a fuel press sensor issue or regulator issue, but an incorrect MAP sensor cal fits your symptoms better.  

ZbuNi5U.png

Good call @Adamw <-- Sharp is this one.  I missed that he had actual fuel pressure being reported. 

A test of the map sensor with a regulated air supply or hand vacuum/pressure pump would be a good idea.  Tune lists it as the Link 6.5 bar.  If the map is correct, and the FP reported is correct (but the ecu thinks it's a constant 345kpa differential fuel pressure) I would expect the opposite AFR reaction to what's happening.

Good catch. Just got home and tested the fpr with regulated air. First test it went up 15 psi with 8 psi in. Then I tried raising the reference pressure to 18 psi and it went up 31 psi. This was logged values. I also have a mechanical gauge on the side of the regulator that did not agree with any of the logged values. 
I looked closer and found I was using a 0-100 psi from last year instead of the new 0-150 psi link unit but had Link configured with 0-150 psi as I thought that was the one I installed.
Swapped it out and set FP at 43.5 psi and goes up pretty close 1:1 now. 
Next step is to get idle back and set Deadtime properly. 

Looks good now. Idle was near perfect afr and Deadtime seemed good using procedure above. 
Thanks for the help guys, definitely pointed me in the right direction. 
Unfortunately won’t likely be until next weekend before I can get a better idea if that fixed the lean condition. I will update once I have more feedback