MR2 Link model compatability

servicesoon

Does anybody know if Link PN 222-1003 G4+ V2-3 ST205 could be setup to run on 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo US Model?

I know the ST185 is the more appropriate, plug-and-play model for this vehicle.

This video comparing G4+ to G4X makes me think it would not be very easy, since G4+ in/outputs cannot be changed in the software. That means any wire pin differences would have to be manually changed.

https://www.facebook.com/linkecu/videos/q-a-what-is-the-difference-between-g4-and-g4x-ecus/582706559038860/

The very latest G4X firmware (released only in the last couple of days) can reassign Ignition and Injector outputs, so that you can get around the previous limitation of needing to use Injector 1-x and Ignition 1-x outputs in sequence. This mean that some boards, such as the Evo 1-3, which had hardware on Ign4, could not be set up for sequential ignition, as you had to use Ign1-4, but with the new firmware, you could use Ign 1, 2, 3 and 5.

However, for almost every other output - unused Ignition and Injector drivers, and most Aux outputs (other than those which have specific hardware on the vehicle-specific board, or are "dedicated", such as Aux 5-8 for an idle stepper motor), it is otherwise completely customisable as to what function is used on which pin.

As for G4+ vs G4X - G4+ hasn't been sold for a few years now, so unless you're getting one for a very good price compared to a new G4X...

But, if you're happy with re-pinning an ECU connector, and "losing" the ability to quickly swap back to stock ECU (however, why would you, once you've got a Link installed) - even a G4+ is still a great ECU, even if for a different vehicle - but the G4X is better.

Just have a good look at what inputs & outputs are available, and make sure you'll have enough on the main header + expansions for your needs, and consider fun things you might want to do in the future... I found myself rapidly running out of inputs! :D 

I created a pin out comparing all 4 versions of Link ecu offered for MR2's.

I found the following PINs that would have to be moved when trying to use G4+ St205 for St185 application:

St205 pin 22 trigger2 to pin 25.

st205 pin 4 aux2 isc open to pin 18.

st205 pin 12 wasgegate to pin 8.

st205 pin 10 trigger1 to pin 13.

st205 pin 13 TVIS to pin 22.

st205 pin 70 fuel pump relay to pin 23.

st205 pin 39 fuel pump speed to pin 56.

st205 pin 8 ign3 to avail pin when I convert to COP.

st205 pin 17 ign4 to avail pin when I convert to COP.

st205 pin 37 anvolt 3 to pin 42 (may not be necessary as both are anvolt).

st205 pin 7 ign2 to avail pin when I convert to COP.

Based on this, my interpretation is that it would be possible to use St205 ecu for St185 MR2 but it may not be worth the hassle. YMMV!

• 3 weeks later...