L67 V6 INJECTOR PULSE ISSUE

L67Hulk

Hi Guys, just wanting some help with an injector pulse issue,

I have attached a wiring diagram and connected the DFI module as per a previous post. i have spark and 12v at the injectors, i have signals from both the cam and crank sensors but the injectors are not grounding? could this be a program issues or am i missing something?

start log also attached

PC Datalog - 2023-09-12 7_33_57 pm (1).llgx

pinouts_14_09.pdf 

That is quite a large pulsewidth but can't tell much more from that without more info, attach a copy of your basemap and some info around what injectors and fuel pressure you are running and @Adamw might be able to help with some tuning pointers.

Also I assume you have set your Triggger calibration with a timing light and tried the same value but offset by 360deg to account for exhaust/compression stroke.

Your Trigger Offset is 0 so I suspect you haven't set your Trigger Offset using a timing light. Don't forget to press enter after changing values in the "Set Base Timing" window.

Also there will be 8 different possible trigger offsets as you are using a distributer for ignition, only one will be correct relative to injection timing and the way to determine which is by using individual cylinder ignition trims to adjust cyl 1's ignition timing and see if that affects the timing on cylinder one's ignition lead.

I now have no inj pulse on 4,5 & 6 ? - (1,2 &3 are pulsing) base ingnition is set @ 12*btc with 5* offset, all injectors have 12volts and are grounded at the corrsponding pin, could this be a configuration issue?

PC Datalog - 2023-09-16 12;42;49 pm.llgx initial setup_16_9_base timing.pclx

4 hours ago, L67Hulk said:

I now have no inj pulse on 4,5 & 6 ? - (1,2 &3 are pulsing) base ingnition is set @ 12*btc with 5* offset, all injectors have 12volts and are grounded at the corrsponding pin, could this be a configuration issue?

PC Datalog - 2023-09-16 12;42;49 pm.llgx 588.71 kB · 2 downloads initial setup_16_9_base timing.pclx 465.61 kB · 1 download

Noticed that i had configured multi- sequential, have changed this to sequential and now have inj pulse on all injectors.

still no run though?

PC Datalog - start log_01.llgx

Your ignition switch input appears to be connected to the starter signal, not ignition, so if it does actually start you will kill the engine as soon as the starter is stopped. 

Im not convinced your trigger offset is right.  Since this is wasted spark it wouldnt matter if you were 360 out.  You could try a squirt of starter fluid to rule out a fuel issue.  If no go with starter fluid then I would look closer at spark.  You could pull the bypass wire out of the ecu plug and ground the bypass wire, it then ignores all ECU timing control and just fires a static spark at 10deg.  

Your dwell table also needs to be set like below.  

0CMUod3.png

I have made the adjustments to the dwell tables as described. I'm now wondering if there are any alternative options for the DI1 connection. Does the ECU rely on this signal to operate, or can it be bypassed? Additionally, concerning the bypass wire, if I ground it, will I still be able to adjust the timing? I've noticed that when I apply an offset to the spark advance, there doesn't seem to be any change, and when using a strobe light during cranking, I'm still seeing approximately 12-15 degrees of advance.

image.png.a927122d002ee3f285cb2b05fd47f54a.png

6 minutes ago, L67Hulk said:

I'm now wondering if there are any alternative options for the DI1 connection

If you're not using ECU hold power there is no requirement for an ignition switch and so you can just leave the ignition switch source set to Off.

8 minutes ago, L67Hulk said:

I've noticed that when I apply an offset to the spark advance, there doesn't seem to be any change, and when using a strobe light during cranking, I'm still seeing approximately 12-15 degrees of advance.

I assume you mean changing the Offset in the second box in the Set Base Timing window, don't forget to press the 'enter' key after changing the value.

10 minutes ago, L67Hulk said:

concerning the bypass wire, if I ground it, will I still be able to adjust the timing?

I was suggesting this as a troubleshooting step only.  With the bypass grounded the DIS module will just fire the spark at a fixed position without any influence from the ecu at all, so it rules out your offset being wrong etc.    

i have adjusted the dwell tables as described, is there any other options for the DI1 connection, does the ECU require this signal to run or can this be bypassed? also with the bypass wire if i ground this can i still adjust timing ?  when i apply an offset to the spark advance nothing changes and from the strobe light I am still seeing approx 12-15* during cranking

- @Vaughan thanks for clarifing the ignition switch source, i'll tunr this off and see how i go, as for the offset timing i'll atempt to adjust this via the individual trim table as you suggested previously hopfuly this will work.

@Adamw should the bypass wire be connected to 8v analog or should this wire be +8v? the wiring configuration was not real clear on this so i assumed it would only need to see a grounding signal not voltage supply, (I will however ground this wire as suggested and check timing to rule out any wiring issues)

image.png.a927122d002ee3f285cb2b05fd47f54a.png

Just now, L67Hulk said:

@Vaughan thanks for clarifing the ignition switch source, i'll tunr this off and see how i go, as for the offset timing i'll atempt to adjust this via the individual trim table as you suggested previously hopfuly this will work.

Find an appropriate offset using the Set Base timing window first and then use the individual cylinder ignition trim functionality to confirm which of the 8 possible angles you have synced on.

ok it fired :-)....log file attached its running very rich and wont idle. i need some help with the timing to confirm the advance (bit difficult by myself). what can i adjust to get it to idle so i can adjust the timing.

@Vaughan @Adamw thanks a bunch for getting me thus far!

PC Datalog - 2023-09-19 6;16;30 am.llgx

56 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Your MAP sensor isnt working and your coolant temp is reading -4deg, so those will be your main two issues.  

What do you have wired to AN Volt 4? The voltage is bouncing around a lot but has nothing set up on that input in the software.  

I dont have anything wired to AN Volt 4- thats wierd ill check this and confirm, the -4* could be correct as the first start up and its pretty cold here, if you look at the log the temp does increase to +2* at the end of the run, i have calibrated the MAP, what other checks can I do to verify the MAP is working correctly?

21 minutes ago, L67Hulk said:

I dont have anything wired to AN Volt 4- thats wierd ill check this and confirm, the -4* could be correct as the first start up and its pretty cold here, if you look at the log the temp does increase to +2* at the end of the run, i have calibrated the MAP, what other checks can I do to verify the MAP is working correctly?

also note it has a large cam so idle may be a problem for initial start up?

• 214°/224° at .050"
  • Intake Lift .566" lift at 1.6:1 rocker ratio
  • Exhaust Lift .536" lift at 1.6:1 rocker ratio
  • 116 Lobe Separation

Your MAP reading doesnt flinch with the engine running Vs not running, like the hose is not connected or something.

In the last map you attached you had both ECT and IAT calibrations set to none.  These need to be set to match the sensors you are using.  If you are using the stock GM sensors then they will likely use the Delphi/AC calibrations. 

pJtuwG9.png