208-4000 Plug-In ECU - TTLink (Audi TT 1998 +) no longer connecting to laptop

TorySharrad

Allthough the laptop can still identify the link ecu in device manager, it is no longer able to connect to it. It just keeps searching when plugged into ecu.

Laptop is running windows 2007 and the PClink it was running when working was G4+ not G4x but it worked?

I have downloaded G4X and tried that but still not connecting?

It worked fine previously and we were even using it as our dashboard. However the car has been sitting for a number of months without being used if that has had something to do with it?

I have not updated any software or drivers since it was last working.

below are some images that may be of use?

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

unnamed (4).jpg

unnamed (5).jpg

unnamed (6).jpg

unnamed.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Adam,

Pins 1  2 and 3 have been tested and are showing 12v to 3 and grounds to the other two.

Im not sure what else to try? I have connected the same laptop and cable to another link ecu and it reads no problem 

but will still not communicate with this TTLink?

Is there a dealer in South Australia that is able to test the ecu to see if it is faulty?

What do you recommend for the next step in trouble shooting?

• 4 weeks later...

The service notes say the ecu was all working correctly when received.  It had several hours in the burn-in tester with no faults found.  

As a precaution they have reflowed the complete USB circuit and replaced the USB connector to eliminate the possibility of an intermittent bad connection somewhere.

Thats a bit weird as I was unable to connect to it on PC link and Brisbane confirmed connection issue as well? (see below copy of communication)

Well hopefully its working correctly now and it doesnt matter what happened previously

Buck (Link ECU)

Nov 10, 2023, 02:25 UTC

Hi Tony, 

The G4+ TTLink you have sent in has arrived in the Brisbane office. I was able to confirm the connection issue but as this is a sealed ECU, I am not able to complete the testing here in Brisbane so I will need to send this to New Zealand for further testing and repair. I have organised to get this unit sent to NZ today.

Kind regards,
Anthony Buck

Regards

Tory

On 10/15/2023 at 9:41 PM, Adamw said:

Pin 3 is the main 12V supply.  Pin 1 & 2 are the main grounds. 

Adam,

On the off chance that there is still something wrong with the wiring to and from the ecu, is there a fool proof way to check if the ecu will talk to the laptop? Im wondering if I can cut the wires (1,2 and 3) on the ecu plug and connect them directly to grounding points on the engine and a 12 volt source from the battery, then check if I can get communication between the Ecu and laptop?

elec advice.jpg

The ecu just needs a single ground on either pin 1 or 2 and +12V on pin 3 to power up.  I wouldnt cut up your loom to do that, buy a cheap set of alligator clip leads or find an old teminal from some other scrap automotive connector that will slide on.  

Adam,

I still cannot seem to connect to pclink? Should I be able to connect to PCLink without the engine running? As I might try to pull the ecu out of car and connect it straight to batter Positive and Neg this way bypassing any chances of incorrect wiring in the car.

If I do this will I be able to connect PcLink to the ecu via laptop usb?

Perhaps try a different laptop with G4+ software installed?  

Do you have any CAN devices connected to the ecu?  You may want to unplug any of those as it sometimes disables the USB comms and makes it look for serial RS232 communications only.

If I'm reading this thread right, you sent the unit in and no one else has had an issue connecting to it?  If so then the issue has to be with something in your sphere of influence (laptop/wire/cable/car wiring/etc.), right?  Does the car fire up and run with the ecu like this?  Was anything else changed between when you were last able to connect and now other than it sitting unused for months?

When you have key on - can you see if the LED on the ecu powers up inside the case - not sure how difficult it would be to try and plug the ecu in without it being in the case, with care taken to not allow any pins on the back side of the board to contact metal in this state of course.

And to answer your previous question, as long as the ecu is powered up with a good 12v and ground, you should be able to connect to it whether it's from the car's battery, or on a bench with a 12v power supply or a drill battery.

Kris,

The unit was sent to Link Australia and they confirmed a connection issue but it was then sent to NZ link for more investigation. (as per below snapshot of email)

So im a bit lost at the moment as NZ Link say there was nothing wrong with it. So I now have it back and still cant connect to laptop?

I will try isolating it and just connect to battery + and - and see if that works on the weekend. 

link.jpg

It seems odd to me they (Link Brisbane office) would say they couldn't open the "sealed ECU" as the directions in the help menu show where the additional can and expansion are inside the case requiring it to be opened to access.  

If you do open the case, you *could* try a can-ser serial cable connection to laptop using the CAN1/RS232 5 pin port on the board and the appropriate can-ser cable if you have one.

Looking at your first pic your com port device is named "Link ElectroSystems USB ECU", I dont remember the G4+ ecu's ever using that description, although it may be an old one from before my time.  Can you go to PC Link, >help>about, and confirm what PC Link version you have.  Can you also right click on the link electro device in device manager and go to >properties>driver and tell us the driver date and driver version.  

When I plug a G4+ into my laptop I get under Ports (COM & LPT): Link Engine Management USB ECU (COM3) 
Driver Date: 5/23/18

Do you get the same device identifier if you plug in to other G4+ cars where it's working? Did they make a G4 plugin for the TT?

Does it connect with the older PC link for G4 ecus?

On 12/7/2023 at 6:33 AM, Adamw said:

Looking at your first pic your com port device is named "Link ElectroSystems USB ECU", I dont remember the G4+ ecu's ever using that description, although it may be an old one from before my time.  Can you go to PC Link, >help>about, and confirm what PC Link version you have.  Can you also right click on the link electro device in device manager and go to >properties>driver and tell us the driver date and driver version.  

Adam,

I have tried earlier versions and other laptops and still it will not connect, and the laptop I am using did connect with another Link ecu when tested at local performance shop. But when I hook the laptop up to this ecu it just sits on "searching"!! 

I am at my wits end here! what else can be done to try to resolve this issue? The car was meant to be running for the Xmas holidays but doesnt look like that will happen now .

I believe the QLD office had the same issue with connection and then sent it to NZ office but the report back said they it was working fine? see below transcript of report 

"The service notes say the ecu was all working correctly when received.  It had several hours in the burn-in tester with no faults found.  

As a precaution they have reflowed the complete USB circuit and replaced the USB connector to eliminate the possibility of an intermittent bad connection somewhere. "

Last test we have done is to pull the ecu out of car and hook up both ground pins (1 and 2) to the neg of car battery and the 12V pin (3) to the positive of the batter (with inline fuse) BUT STILL KEEPS SEARCHING ???

It looks to me like you have some very old G4 USB driver installed and modern windows probably blocks that.  It should have installed the correct one when you installed PC Link unless you clicked the cancel button or dont have admin privileges or perhaps uninstalled at some later date.      

Go to C:\Link G4+\Link USB Drivers and run either the **install_x64.exe or **install_x86.exe depending if you have 64bit or 32bit windows. Confirm it progresses through the install and reports it was installed successfully.  Then plug in the ecu and confirm you have the driver date and version shown below. 

KnMm1wa.png

Adam,

I tried to update the drivers to the one you sent through but it keeps saying that the current drivers are up to date and I canty seem to download these ones? I will have another go tonight when I have more time. Also can you confirm that I have downloaded the correct version of software to be needing the drivers you sent? see below picture for the version I have downloaded.

pclink software.jpg