Ecu recommendation / query

4G_Aidan

Hello all,

First time post so go easy on me here :D

I'm looking really for some advice / recommendations on which ECU compares and might suit for my build.

I'll start by explaining the build then i'll come onto my dilemma. 

It's a Proton Jumbuck, engine swapped Inc full wiring harness to a 4G93 (1.8 DOHC) running the earlier Mitsubishi style wiring loom. This shares the exact same ECU plugs and pinouts as Evo123. I'm currently in the process of turbo'ing it, running a TD04L with external wastegate set at 10psi (Stock internals for now), on a chargecooler system & AVT radiator. I intend on running a IAT on the cold side of the chargecooler. Ported inlet manifold with S90 70mm TB, 450cc injectors, walbro fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator. Bosch LSU4.9 wideband on AEM AFR gauge. I'm toying with the potential of water/meth injection later on too but not set in stone for now.

I'm currently looking at the plugin Evo123 ECU, but comparing it to the other G4X models and i'm not totally sure which way i should go as to whether the plugin ECU can offer me everything i need, or if the "Wire in yourself" ecu's can offer a little more option. I'm really just looking for honest advice on which way to go with what ECU you'd go for. Originally this setup was running previously on an Apexi SAFCII and made around 230whp, but hoping with improvements to the setup and a better mapping system it can get closer to 250.

Any advice or thoughts are appreciated!

The plug-in ECU is cheaper than the wire in because it has fewer inputs and outputs available, despite being based upon an Xtreme.

So - you'll need to have a close look at the available inputs and outputs, and see if your current (and future!) requirements are covered.

That's a trade-off only you can consider.

I ran out of inputs and outputs on my Evo 1-3 running a 6A13TT engine from a Legnum VR-4...

You can also have Link modify the plugin to provide you with some extra I/O if required. Quick note on the EVO1-3 pnp, from memory Ign 4 is used for ECU hold power which used to prevent you from being able to do direct spark but the latest software release lets you use any other ignition drive for that cylinder 4 coil.

22 hours ago, Confused said:

The plug-in ECU is cheaper than the wire in because it has fewer inputs and outputs available, despite being based upon an Xtreme.

So - you'll need to have a close look at the available inputs and outputs, and see if your current (and future!) requirements are covered.

That's a trade-off only you can consider.

I ran out of inputs and outputs on my Evo 1-3 running a 6A13TT engine from a Legnum VR-4...

Out of curiosity, what kind of stuff did you have on the inputs / outputs? 

I'm really weighing up the options as i'm not against wiring in myself, but for the extra cost moving up in ECU models, i'm not seeing huge gains for the price difference. But i'm open to real world suggestions as I find looking at paper and comparison charts vs real experiences and feedback varies.

You'll have to excuse me if I miss something obvious as i'm still wrapping my head around all the different models, extra benefits etc.

22 hours ago, Vaughan said:

You can also have Link modify the plugin to provide you with some extra I/O if required. Quick note on the EVO1-3 pnp, from memory Ign 4 is used for ECU hold power which used to prevent you from being able to do direct spark but the latest software release lets you use any other ignition drive for that cylinder 4 coil.

Just still wrapping my head around this - When you say direct spark, is that meaning coil on plug? Because that's one thing i'm toying with doing and moving to further down the road. Excuse me if it seems a daft question, i'm fairly new to standalone ECU's and tuning etc. Unfortunately I came from a two wheeled world of playing with carbs so my knowledge may become somewhat archaic!

45 minutes ago, 4G_Aidan said:

When you say direct spark, is that meaning coil on plug? Because that's one thing i'm toying with doing and moving to further down the road. Excuse me if it seems a daft question, i'm fairly new to standalone ECU's and tuning etc. Unfortunately I came from a two wheeled world of playing with carbs so my knowledge may become somewhat archaic!

Coil on plug just means that the coil is located directly on the spark plug instead of elsewhere with an ignition lead. Direct spark is when each ignition drive is wired to a single coil and so each ignition coil is only fired once per engine cycle (once per every 2 revolutions for a 4 stoke). Waste or wasted spark, which is what the EVO 1-3 has factory, is when you have 2 coils wired to each ignition drive meaning you fire both coils in that pair twice per engine cycle (once per revolution for a 4 stroke) and the coils are paired in such a way that one is firing near tdc on the compression stroke and the other is firing near tdc on the exhaust stroke so the 2nd coil's spark isn't used. This was done to reduce the number of ignition drives required from factory ECUs.

Coil on plug can be wired up as direct spark or as wasted spark.

I've added (on top of the basics required to run the car, such as IAT, ECT, MAP sensor, boost solenoid, engine fan, check engine light etc):

Pre & post turbo temperature

Fuel pressure/temperature

Oil pressure/temperature

11 way rotary switch to control how much traction control I have

PWM speed controlled Chargecooler pump

Two wheel speed inputs (front and rear)

Oil warning light output

Brake switch

Clutch switch

Plus being a V6 I'm using 6 injector outputs and 3 ignition outputs, as I'm currently still wasted spark.

If I were to start again knowing all the funky stuff the ECU could do, I'd go for a wire in model, there's still loads I want to add but am out of inputs or outputs, and I'm still considering needing to get a CANBUS expansion to give me more!

It's a shame the Razor PDM is so expensive for the number of inputs and outputs, as I'd like to stick with the Link ecosystem, but at least the ECU has a very configurable CANBUS system, so almost any hardware can be made to work with it.

So - I'd recommend getting a list of the ECUs available inputs and outputs together and list your thoughts of what you might want to do - although as I said, I do still keep thinking of more things to possibly do, but can't yet!

Exactly,

as soon as you get tinkery, you will run out of inputs very quickly! switches, sensors, potentiometers. Plan bigger ahead, unless you know you want your car done and nothing more in the future. if its a long term project, we all know how it spiral down!