LS 1 Chev changed to LS 2 engine.

Schalk

Without a cam sensor you would have to change to multipoint group injection and wasted spark ignition, the coils would need re-wiring into pairs.  

You can use the 58X crank with the half moon LS1 cam pattern if that is the reason you are considering not using the cam.  

Hi Adam.

Please explain the LS1 cam pattern? I am not familiar with that. 

Or can I only use the cam sensor without the crank sensor

On the current setup only the LS1 on top of the block towards the rear is used. On the LS 2 it is moved to the front. Would the pin outs stay the same?

With the current setup it is already on multipoint group and wasted spark. So in essence should I be able to use the LS 2 cam sensor with the correct pinouts in front of the engine?

The LS1 has a 24 tooth wheel on the crank and a single 180deg long tooth on the cam or cam sprocket.  The LS2 has a 60-2 wheel on the crank and a 4 tooth wheel on the cam sprocket (2 short teeth, 2 long teeth).  

What Im saying is the ecu would be happy to use the LS2 60-2 crank trigger with the LS1 cam trigger.  

Hi Adam,

I am stuck. The LS grey Crank sensor and the cam Sensor LS2 also front have the wiring changed as per the LINK recommendations. I do measure 4.8- 5V on both. I have done the coils spark test and it worked fine. But yet no spark when swinging the engine. I did see the trigger mode have a setting to change to LS2/LS7 with 90 deg. Should I change it or leave it ?

Your scope capture shows the ecu is receiving the correct signal from the cam sensor on trigger 2 input, but it is receiving no signal from the crank sensor/trigger 1.   

xJAYOI1.png

Confirm the crank sensor is wired like below (different pinout to the cam sensor). This picture is looking into the sensor housing.  

Mrh5rob.png

On 1/19/2024 at 6:51 PM, Schalk said:

I have actually changed the Crank trigger to the LS1 reluctor type and then got a signal.

The LS1 sensor wont work with the LS2 58X trigger wheel.  The LS1 sensor has two sensing elements internally that combine into a single output, it needs a special trigger wheel that is two wheels with different patterns stacked on top of each other.  

If the LS1 sensor gives a signal but the LS2 one doesnt, then that would suggest possibly the LS2 sensor is faulty - or there is an alignment issue internally.