Why would my boost spike mid range and fall

Volcom86

I got a built closed deck EJ257 Cosworth engine - 

2.6 stroker 81mm crank 

Cosworth 99.75mm pistons / rods 

14mm head studs 

Cosworth ported heads and Cosworth everything else cams (268 ex & 277 in) springs, etc. 

Stock location FP Red turbo with an upgraded GTX35 compressor wheel 

Internal gate with a 15psi spring 

Invidia Exhaust Q300 exhaust 

Trying to run 27-28psi however, WGDC% I get a peak of 28psi at 5,000RPM then falls to 24psi by 7,000RPM

I don't think I would be running out of turbo creasing on the WOT pull as IAT's are decreasing on the run, is the internal gate struggling and do I need to go with an EWG? 

I have always noticed this boost trend even when it was tuned for 21psi - I would get 23psi then drop down to 21psi by 7,000RPM 

#rd gear log attached which is the Virtual dyno picture attached

• Volcom86 changed the title to Why would my boost spike mid range and fall

Try feeding it slightly more wastegate duty in the areas it drops below what you want, wouldn't be surprising if it is trying to push the gate open a bit more up top. If adding more wastegate duty doesn't provide more boost then either the turbo is out of flow or the wastegate needs to be held shut better.

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Try feeding it slightly more wastegate duty in the areas it drops below what you want, wouldn't be surprising if it is trying to push the gate open a bit more up top. If adding more wastegate duty doesn't provide more boost then either the turbo is out of flow or the wastegate needs to be held shut better.

Thank you, I been thinking also that perhaps my wastegate actuator pre load on the arm might be a bit high. 

Could this cause the spike in psi as the gate isn't opening soon enough? 

Thank you 

the actuator preload will affect your minimum pressure (like the wastegate spring rate will) where a higher preload or stiffer spring will hold the gate shut for longer.

In terms of the spike and reduce the high point is because of the increase in wgate duty and the drop of will probably be the gate being pushed open more by the higher exhaust pressure by the wastegate

Thanks, so in hindsight putting more preloaded on the actuator arm could potentially help me, correct? 

Or changing from a 15psi spring to a 20psi spring 

21 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

the actuator preload will affect your minimum pressure (like the wastegate spring rate will) where a higher preload or stiffer spring will hold the gate shut for longer.

In terms of the spike and reduce the high point is because of the increase in wgate duty and the drop of will probably be the gate being pushed open more by the higher exhaust pressure by the wastegate

I would start by increasing the wastegate duty in the table as adjusting the mechanical system will affect all of the values in both of your boost tables whereas adjusting the setting in the ECU can be easily reversed and is much quicker to do.

44 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I would start by increasing the wastegate duty in the table as adjusting the mechanical system will affect all of the values in both of your boost tables whereas adjusting the setting in the ECU can be easily reversed and is much quicker to do.

Thank you,

I lowered the WGDC% at 5,000RPM so I see 26PSI, and from 6,000RPM i have increased he WGDC to 63% from 60% it is a warmer day on this run so the boost is lower 

So 3rd gear WOT is from 2,500RPM to 7,000RPM Peak of 26psi at 5,000RPM then tappers to shy of 24psi at 7,000RPM 

Now my other question is if I am going WOT in 2nd gear to 3rd gear I see higher boost in 3rd close to 26PSi at 7,000RPM - why would this be 

My concern is if I want 28PSi at 5000RPM in 3rd gear - that it will overboost on colder days 

Thank you image.thumb.png.dfdbbee17afd893ad86b203f8f8d612f.png

from my experience, shortening the WG arm/ more preload is detrimental to what you are trying to solve. boost control will be even harder down low but little improvement up top

more spring would help (if duty doesn't) provided the turbo isn't maxed out like Vaughan said. 

On 2/12/2024 at 4:50 PM, Volcom86 said:

Now my other question is if I am going WOT in 2nd gear to 3rd gear I see higher boost in 3rd close to 26PSi at 7,000RPM - why would this be 

My concern is if I want 28PSi at 5000RPM in 3rd gear - that it will overboost on colder days 

This is pretty common due to more load creating more EGT.  Subaru's are especially bad as the long primaries exaggerate the affect.  There are gear trim tables to compensate for the difference between gears.    I also noticed a related effect on our Subaru test car - if you had done a little gentle driving around a built up area for example and the manifold cooled down a little, the first "WOT pull" you did after that would never reach boost target.