G4x Plugin Issues on an AW11 with 4AGZE. Reversed Logic on GP Output 9?

koracing

I was remote tuning a customer car with a G4x plug-in custom wired to a 4agze, and setting up the check engine light to turn on if he went lean on boost while street driving.  For some reason it appears that the logic is reversed on GP Ouput 9 versus using GP Output 5. 

This started with me setting this up the way I normally would using virtual aux 2 on GP output 9, and the check engine light was turning on when it should have been off.  I next tried Virtual aux 3 on GP Output 9 and same thing.  I then set up virtual aux 2 with the same logic on GP Output 5 and it worked as it should.    

I'll post a pic showing what I'm referring to:
image.thumb.jpeg.c0f2d407c06517705ef37ea8f4d91020.jpeg

As you can see the Virtual Aux 1, 2, and 3 are inactive.  Given that and the logic for GP Output 6 (Aux 5 output) is clearly showing it should be active if Virutal Aux 3 is not equal to active (aka equal to inactive), yet it is showing inactive.  If I set the logic to Virtual Aux 3 = Active, the check engine light turns on - Aux output 5 becomes active.

I plan to test another plug-in G4x to see if this is a software/firmware bug, but thought @Vaughan or @Adamw could test this to see if it is an isolated case or not.

Another issue with this car prior to this was the brake switch input (1989 4AGZE AW11).  It is a normally closed switch that opens when the brake pedal is all the way up, and closes providing 12v when the pedal is pressed.  The brake/STP pin input was run to DI1.  If the brake pedal is pressed with the ignition off, the ecu will power up.  It was back feeding voltage from that input to power the logic on the ecu.  Is this a problem just on DI1?  I've never seen that happen before with a brake input.  I had the customer depin this pin from his engine harness for now since we weren't using that input for anything.

At first this was on the September G5 PC Link software/firmware, and as part of trouble shooting I updated to the December released firmware.  This made no difference.

• koracing changed the title to G4x Plugin Issues on an AW11 with 4AGZE. Reversed Logic on GP Output 9?

I vaguely remember something about one of the GP outputs being fixed recently so this may have already been a known/fixed issue, I will confirm when Im back at work tomorrow.  

For the DI1 problem, what specific ecu are we talking about?  In the wire-in ECU's there is no electrical path from a DI back to the power rail that I can see.  Even if the internal pull-up "switch" failed so the pull-up was constantly ON, this only connects back to a 12V regulator which has reverse current prevention.  In a plug-in I guess there could be a path if there was some extra hardware fitted to the bottom board for a specific purpose but I cant think of any that do.   

Based on your screenshot I can see that Aux 5 should be active but the logic in gp output 9 looks fine. I can't replicate your issue with gp output 6 or 9. Could you take a video of how to replicate or cause the issue so that we can see the status and settings changes in real time? Can you confirm the actual firmware version in the ECU please.

Capture.PNG

On 2/17/2024 at 4:30 PM, Adamw said:

I vaguely remember something about one of the GP outputs being fixed recently so this may have already been a known/fixed issue, I will confirm when Im back at work tomorrow.  

For the DI1 problem, what specific ecu are we talking about?  In the wire-in ECU's there is no electrical path from a DI back to the power rail that I can see.  Even if the internal pull-up "switch" failed so the pull-up was constantly ON, this only connects back to a 12V regulator which has reverse current prevention.  In a plug-in I guess there could be a path if there was some extra hardware fitted to the bottom board for a specific purpose but I cant think of any that do.   

I don't recall which specific ecu it is - I just know it has been "custom" wired.  Hypothetically: If there were a solder bridge or a bit of metal connecting the DI1 pin to the Aux10 pin next to it, would putting 12v onto aux10 backfeed into powering the ecu even if the Aux10 isn't being used or pinned to anything else?

EDIT: I just tried powering up an different plug-in ecu on the bench by providing power to the Aux10 pin, and ground to ECU ground and sure enough it powered up.  I think this must be what is happening on the AW11 I've remoted tuned.

On 2/18/2024 at 2:02 PM, Vaughan said:

Based on your screenshot I can see that Aux 5 should be active but the logic in gp output 9 looks fine. I can't replicate your issue with gp output 6 or 9. Could you take a video of how to replicate or cause the issue so that we can see the status and settings changes in real time? Can you confirm the actual firmware version in the ECU please.

Yeah I've just spent some time trying to replicate this on the bench on this other unit and it's acting as it should.  This bench ecu and the customer I remoted tuned were both on firmware 6.25.5.  Not sure what's going on with that unit, but the simple solution is to use a different GP output for now or leave it with reversed logic on his GP OP 9.  I tried making connection between Aux 10 output and DI 1 also just to make sure that didn't somehow cause a reversal of logic if that is something the customer's unit has an issue with.

I'll see what the customer wants to do, but I suspect he's fine with the solutions in place for now.  I will update this thread if that changes.