Electric Fan E36 Wiring

chrisconboy1

I have an E36 M3 with an electric fan conversion. I had previously had the fan wired to the switch attached to the side of the expansion tank/radiator for it to kick on automatically (which in the past seemed to only put the fan on either too early or too late). Now I have the plugin G4x and was hoping to find a better and more reliable way of wiring the electric fan up. I would still like it to kick on automatically, preferably something that I can adjust in the ecu to have it come on earlier. So I'm looking for my best way to wire this up and any more info would be helpful. I haven't gotten to start the car or put power on yet as it's still in a project phase but I'm wrapping up now and with it being in the 90-100s I would like to have the fan going as soon as I get the car running on a complete rebuild. 

I have a zionville rad/tank/fan kit if that changes any outcomes. Also deleted the AC so not sure if theres something I can do there.

Thanks!

you can use any spare ECU output to control a relay that will flick the fan on and you can use the Engine Fan function in the ECU to control the coolant temperature at which the fan will switch on and off.

If you are using one of the Aux outputs make sure that the power supply to the other side of the fan relay coil comes from an ignition switched source, if using a spare injector or ignition output to control the fan relay that relay coil supply can be always hot if desired.

If you've deleted the AC you might be able to use the AC Compressor output from the ECU and maybe even use the AC relay if it is capable of supplying the required current.

49 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

you can use any spare ECU output to control a relay that will flick the fan on and you can use the Engine Fan function in the ECU to control the coolant temperature at which the fan will switch on and off.

Thanks for the quick reply. What Link product would I need to make this happen? The only other thing I have in the ECU is the can gauge. 

You dont need any link product, I think if you disconnect the wire that goes to pin 3 of the thermofan switch and connect this to any spare ecu output and assign that as FAN it should work. 

xho83U9.png