1.5 jz wouldnt rev more than 5000 RPM

Hatem Bakhiet

My setup is as follow :

• E36 Running shell
  • 1.5 jz GTE , ported and polished head.
  • 1200 CC Bosch injectors (PN : 0280158040 ) high impedance 
  • Nissan ( AIC-400IE ) coil over Pack 
  • Holset HX40
  • Link Extreme black .
  • walbro Fuel pump 
  • Tomi fuel regulator.
  • Base fuel pressure 3 Bar.

Engine is revving great up to around 5k , but not more than that ...

what I have noticed , while trying to rev more than 5k

1. no limits ( from the run time values ) has been activated .
  2. Triggers status is OK .
  3. Fuel pressure is still maintained around preset value .
  4. RPM dont miss up when rev hits around 5k , but simply feel like soft  ignition cut ( little black smoke ).

I think its some thing related to ( ignition Dwell time ), I have tried to find it out .. unfortunately with no success. 

I need the dead time values for the injectors as well ...

Any help well be highly appreciated .

thanks a lot 

Edited by Hatem Bakhiet

Your injector dead times should be set before trying to do any other tuning, it has a massive impact on the fuel tables.

Take a look at the ignition dwell table, any value above 2.5 is useless, set them to 2.5

Dear Scott ,

Tnanks a lot for your response , I will do what you ask for . should I simply upload them or attach them via mail , and what is mail address if true

Dear Chris ,

you are absolutely right .. I will  double check the dwell setting ( unfortunately , no manufacture data sheet ) , but I well scale values from 1.5ms up to 2.5ms.

regarding injectors dead time , Injectors are  (  1200 CC Bosch injectors (PN : 0280158040 ) high impedance ) , attached  is what i have found 

should I consider that values ???

0280158040-1330 new.jpg

Edited by Hatem Bakhiet

Dear All ,

thanks for your great support , problem has been solved just right now :)

it was Dwell values . now its rev smoothly up to RPM limit ( Red Zone )

Glad to help, the reason for the issue is that the stock JZ ignition system can't charge for any longer than 2.5ms,this causes the misfire you were getting if you try

Glad to help, the reason for the issue is that the stock JZ ignition system can't charge for any longer than 2.5ms,this causes the misfire you were getting if you try

That is interesting you say that,

Here is my table and it runs all the way to 8k, but I am also not running wasted spark......

Untitled.png

How were you testing it Scott?

ChaserDream, are you running a stock igniter and coils? When I was researching the JZ ignition system there was someone testing it in America explained that the system can only charge to a maximum of 2.5ms before it fires itself. Its to prevent   damage to the igniter from overcharging.

When I came across the issue it was during tuning and was running direct fire through the stock system.

Edited by Chris250

We used a variable power supply and an oscilloscope with a 1 Ohm resistor (to display current), we then adjusted the voltage and measured on the scope how long it took for the coil to charge up to peak energy.

Edited by Scott
typo