2005 WRX STI XS Loom Wiring Questions

GDB STI

Hey guys,

First time I'm attempting wiring inputs and switches into my ECU so i just have a few questions to ensure I'm on the right track..

I have a Link G4 and I've purchased the XS loom for some additional inputs.

I have 2 switches - Antilag and Rotational Idle.

From what I have read I can switch those to ground and into the 2 digital inputs I have on the XS loom - DI 7 & 8? Then just assign the input to each switch - Antilag arming etc then TP % and RPM to engage.

I will also be running a Link MAP4 sensor - so can I just power this from the 5V out and ground on the XS loom then use one of the Analogue (AN Volt 6 for example) inputs for the 0-5V signal back from the MAP sensor?

I also have an IAT sensor - on my previous STi this was tapped into the intercooler and was spliced into my oem MAF wiring - can I simply do the same on this one - sensor ground and MAF signal wire going back to the ECU?

I am also considering running a flex fuel setup and was going to use a generic GM flex sensor which I believe are 12V?

Use a switched 12V to power it, ground it on the XS sensor ground and then the output from the sensor needs to be wired into a Digital Input?

Do I need to ditch one of my switches and free up a DI or is there a way to wire the flex fuel sensor into an analogue input?

Many Thanks :)

image.thumb.png.1f852feacde6e0b44212a785331ffc5b.png

5 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Can you confirm if this is a G4 or G4+.   If it is a G4 only DI1-6 could be used for the flex so we might have to shuffle a couple of wires around.  I will answer the rest of your question once you confirm that.

100% a G4, I've had it for the last 2 years. it was originally installed in my 02 STI. 

Also had a look RE Flex fuel and the Zeitronix kit had 2 Analogue outputs for fuel % and temperature, so I will just grab one of those :)

The G4 cant take Ethanol content via an analog input either - only DI1-6.  DI6 is not really needed (only used for start position), so you can connect a flex sensor to that - just a matter of sniping one wire.

All your other proposals are fine.  IAT can go to the IAT wire in the MAF connector - there is a suitable ground in that connector too.

MAP signal can go to any AN Volt.

Switches to the DI's and the other side of the switch can go to ground.

On 4/26/2018 at 2:23 PM, Adamw said:

The G4 cant take Ethanol content via an analog input either - only DI1-6.  DI6 is not really needed (only used for start position), so you can connect a flex sensor to that - just a matter of sniping one wire.

All your other proposals are fine.  IAT can go to the IAT wire in the MAF connector - there is a suitable ground in that connector too.

MAP signal can go to any AN Volt.

Switches to the DI's and the other side of the switch can go to ground.

Thanks for the clarification Adam! 

I removed the ECU from its housing when I got home tonight and it turns out I was mistaken. It is, in fact a G4+. 

Can this accept an analogue signal for flex fuel sensor? 

20180427_235535.jpg

20180427_235605.jpg

On the G4+ DI7 & 8 can also be used for flex sensor so it is a bit more flexible than the G4.  You can input it using an analog input and a custom cal but a DI is better as you get both eth% and eth temp through the one input.

• 2 years later...

Just bumping up an old thread, thanks Adam I ended up utilizing one of the DI's for my flex fuel sensor and the car is running well.

I was looking at adding some fail safe sensors - oil pressure and fuel pressure.

I was looking at the EFI solutions sensors; EFI Pressure Sensor

My question regarding these, can I have 2 sensors sharing the same +5V supply and ground from the expansion loom or do they need to be separate?

Then just pick a spare AI for each sensor respectively?

I also have a AFR/lambda sensor I would like to install and feed back into the ECU although this is a separate controller and just outputs 0-5v so that can also use one of the AI channels.

1 hour ago, REVNURAZR said:

My question regarding these, can I have 2 sensors sharing the same +5V supply and ground from the expansion loom or do they need to be separate?

Yes, you split the 5V and sensor ground out to as many sensors as you want.

Then just pick a spare AI for each sensor respectively?

Yes any spare analog inputs will do either of those functions.  

I also have a AFR/lambda sensor I would like to install and feed back into the ECU although this is a separate controller and just outputs 0-5v so that can also use one of the AI channels.

Correct.  If it has a separate power ground and signal ground wires the the signal ground should also connect to ECU sensor ground.

• 6 months later...

Just bumping this back up as I've changed some wiring around. 

I've rewired my fuel pumps so the 3rd pump switches from a negative trigger, I would like to use one of the spare outputs on my 2nd expansion loom as a GP Output to drive the fuel pump relay when MAP hits 125 kPa

I've wired the trigger into Ignition 6 Aux Output. Is this correct? All I need to do is change it to a GP Output via PClink and set up the switch conditions? 

I've attached a pic of the PClink setup, obviously not connected to the ECU yet. 

Another one I want to confirm, I'm running 2 x Bosch Temp/Pressure sensors for fuel and oil - 0261230340 part number. 

Just need to confirm I've wired them in correctly - the pressure is 0-5v output and that's going into AN Volt 5 & 6 respectively, what cal table do I need to use and I've tried to select several to bring up the custom one with no luck. 

The temperature side - I have AN Temp4 spare on the XS Loom, any idea where I can wire into AN Temp 3 as I don't recall seeing it on the XS looms. 

Is it possible to confirm the temperature cal table I need to be using for those Bosch sensors as well? 

I have also added a Haltech Coolant temp sensor, 2 wire. According to the instructions this needs ground and the input going into a spare AN Volt. 

I've got it wired into An Volt 10 but would like to also know what function selection I use and the cal table? 

Thanks a lot :)

Screenshot_20210509-230629_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210509-230621_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210509-230611_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210509-230604_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210509-230557_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210509-230929_Gallery.jpg

5 hours ago, REVNURAZR said:

I've wired the trigger into Ignition 6 Aux Output. Is this correct? All I need to do is change it to a GP Output via PClink and set up the switch conditions? 

Yes.

Just need to confirm I've wired them in correctly - the pressure is 0-5v output and that's going into AN Volt 5 & 6 respectively, what cal table do I need to use and I've tried to select several to bring up the custom one with no luck. 

AN Volt would be correct.  Use the 1000Kpa TI sensor calibration.

The temperature side - I have AN Temp4 spare on the XS Loom, any idea where I can wire into AN Temp 3 as I don't recall seeing it on the XS looms. 

AN Temp 3 is on pin D14, it is used as the factory air temp sensor on Spec C models.

6 hours ago, REVNURAZR said:

Is it possible to confirm the temperature cal table I need to be using for those Bosch sensors as well? 

Std Bosch NTC

6 hours ago, REVNURAZR said:

I have also added a Haltech Coolant temp sensor, 2 wire. According to the instructions this needs ground and the input going into a spare AN Volt. 

You would need to wire in an external pull-up resistor to connect a temp sensor to a volt input.  Why do you have 2 coolant temp sensors?

• 2 weeks later...

No I think that is a 040-2 with the little tabs poking out the back.  You want the ones without those tabs.

The ones I have in my terminal box are 173716-1 so they are the only ones I can say I know they fit off the top of my head without doing the research myself.  They are specified for 1.8mm dia insulation so have quite big wings on them but they do crimp smaller wire ok (link wire is about 1.5mm OD from memory).

ljh8cdi.png

528101475_canwiring2.0.thumb.png.dcdcc14d0d6bba193c0a57caee065f1a.pngHi Adam,

More questions, thought I would just keep them in this thread instead of starting a new one...

Does this setup look right for what I intend to add, ECUMASTER EGT-CAN module and Link's CAN LAMBDA.

Running the Powertune Digital Dash.

Else I was going to use CAN2 for the dash stream which includes my extra streams for the AN Volt + AN Temp inputs and then just use CAN1 for the EGT + Lambda with a 120 Ohm resistor at the end of the CAN loop?

Thanks 

As for sensor mounting for the CAN Lambda - I have a O2 sensor bung in the dump pipe of the exhaust... Obviously quite close to the turbo. 

Is this a suitable spot? 

The bung is at the top of the dump pipe so is in spec with 10 degrees + from horizontal, just not sure if that's too close to the turbo for accurate readings? 

Thanks 

57 minutes ago, dx4picco said:

I would rather place the egt sensor before the turbo

I'm referring to my CAN Lambda sensor. The bung for that is about 6" from the turbo dump.

I have other EGT sensors that will be pre/post turbo and on each cylinder on the headers.

3 hours ago, Adamw said:

If its a road car that will be fine.  If it is a race car that runs full load for significant periods of time then it would probably be better to move it further down stream.  

Awesome thanks. Road/weekend toy so not seeing punishing conditions. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Adam,

I am looking at also upgrading my MAP sensor for future-proofing and plans down the track.

Is there a recommended sensor that features a 1/8 NPT port - AEM, Honeywell, Haltech?

I am looking for one that can be directly mounted to the manifold via the oem port adapter.

So far, the AEM one is the only one I have found that can cope with vibration associated, any others that you know of?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hey @Adamw are you please able to confirm the MAF sensor plug on the GD at all?

I am wanting to make up a speed density loom as pictured instead of the spliced wiring at the moment.

I have found this - SUPERSEAL 1.5 Series, Plug, 5 Ways, Pin Contacts

282107-1 that's the part number and it looks fairly simialr.

iwire speed density.jpg

superseal.jpeg

• 9 months later...

Another bump up :)

Just added a EMAP sensor to my setup for monitoring and curiosity. 

I am using the Honeywell MIPAN2XX100PSAAX transducer and I was just curious if that is best suited to the application. It's 100 PSI so just wanted to know if the resolution is suitable or am I a bit high? 

https://www.digikey.com.au/en/products/detail/honeywell-sensing-and-productivity-solutions/MIPAN2XX100PSAAX/10671077

Also re the Cal table - is there a standard one in the software that will work or do I need a custom one. The 100 PSI is close to the 7 bar default one. 

Thanks