MR2 NO SPARK From 1zz COIL ON PLUG!!

Zerohour

hey everyone i built a 5sgte motor thats on gen3 head and electronics. This is the first start up but i change my distributor to  1zz coil on plug and pnp harness. It is geting power to coils and the trigger 1 and 2 both say yes when cranking. but still no spark. i set dwell to these setting from a friend who sent me a base map anyone have any ideas?

00170IMG_00170_BURST20180802151827_COVER (1).jpg

Have you set the base timing? 

Can you run successful spark test to each coil and confirm the cylinder numbering matches the ignition channel (you should hear them click)

Those dwell numbers should let it start. I've seen reccomendations for 1zz coils anywhere from about 3.2 @ 14v to about 2.5 @ 14v so you're in the ballpark.

I've taken cyc 2,3,4 off. Changed main spark to direct spark  And turned igntion 5,6,7,8 on. Since I have a expansion harness for it

The ignition test still no spark. Turned it on one by one still nothing. I'm geting power 12v and the trigger gets 8dc volt at standby but when I crank goes down to 4dc volts. 

Ive change dwell even to  different setting from 2 or 3 different points what I've gotten online and still nothing yet

you want to use ign 1,2,3,4 and have it set to direct spark. Not 5678.

Have you wired the coils up like this? http://www.sq-engineering.com/tech-articles/coilpack-info-guide 

Check you have got 12v and Gnd at the coils. The trigger voltage sounds about right, remember that when running its actually spiking up and down quickly to trigger the coils so a typical multimeter will show the number jumping around or an average number which doesnt really mean much. 

Have you got spark edge set to rising?

Only thing is my expansion harness is ign 5,6,7,8 were my coils are hooked up on as in the pic. Do I still use 1,2,3,4:huh: or keep it at 5,6,7,8. 

And wiring is set up correctly check with volt meter again just now. I'm going to check the spark edge tommorow since had to go to work lol. 

IMG_1972_1631ed46-715f-443f-a6c7-e9e763b11c32_large (1).jpg

I think you should be able to get a test fire to work on ign5+ but to get the thing to actually run you need to use 1,2,3,4. These are in the factory connector but are by default wired to purge, EGR, and a solenoid that is fast idle or that accoustic intake manifold thing the later 3sge's had or something similar. If you want to keep these functions you should move them to ign 5,6,7 and change your config to match. 

pinouts should be  ign1 = 20, ign2 = 7, ign3 = 8, ign4 = 17 so these are the wires you need to move to the expansion connector (except ign1 obviously) and then connect these ECU pins to your new coils. Check the help file for a diagram.

1zz coils don't like dwell much more than 1.8-2ms.  But that wont keep it from starting.

I remember seeing a thread in this forum not to long ago of someone with some "plug and play" ignition harness that was nowhere near what it needed to be.

Also CJ and Ducie are correct and you will need to use Ign drives 1-2-3-4.