closed loop lambda failsafe

mapper

Hi 

Just wondering what happens if the internal Lambda controller detects a error. On analogue gauge i use closed loop lambda control just on the low load part of the map, because a fault sensor can force the ecu to take too much fuel out. Consequently the engine could run dangerous lean. I'm aware that there is a setting for the alowable control range for closed loop lambda.  

I'm wondering what the closed loop lambda control will do in case of a error: 

- if we use the internal lambda controller on the furry or Thunder

- if we use a external CAN-Lambda controller? for example does a ALM-CAN transmit all error codes to the ECU? does the closed loop lambda control shut off in this case or are there a chance that the mixture can go lean as on a analogue wideband?  

Edited by mapper

Fury and Thunder keep the last good lambda value but the error status is set. 

Have suggested to engineering that maybe faulting to a high Lambda is a better idea. So engine will go rich.

For an external CAN lambda its going to depend a lot on what the CAN transmits from the unit. Currently we are not geared to read the fault codes from an external device.

Thank Simon for clarify. Yes would be great to get a possibility that closed loop lambda shouts off or goes to a high lambda. Maybe the engineers can integrate a plsusibility check of the signal for error detection.

For example. Input value must change at least once a second while engine is running. 

Regarding fault code. Can i setup the fault codes manually  from the ALM-CAN. Because it's just a controller without a own display. So would be good to have this infos. 

Otherwise i would really like to see a external wideband controller with all the functionality and diagnostics from Link. What i'm aware there is something in development, which is great! 

Hi mapper, 

We do have some fault codes built into the firmware for the internal lambda controllers on the Fury and Thunder ECUs, these are in a particular order. The problem is that the fault code numbering from a third party CAN-Lambda device would have to line up with the order that we use, otherwise the wrong fault code would come up.

I'm wondering if you can separate +/- to two parameters from Closed Loop FTrim Limit,

then we can limit the negative fuel trim in a very small range that won't cause damage.

A fail safe can't prevent a half bad o2 sensor from sending back wrong signals.

Some stock ECUs do their closed loop f-trim this way.

If we already separate the +- parameter, why not do a Table?

Around idle, there is often more than 5% correction needed to cover all runing conditions (e.g after a hot restart, heat soaking etc.), under WOT and high RPM just a small correction should be applied to prevent lean running as we spoke about. On overrun situations there is often a lean spike which forces the system to go on to the rich limit. This correction are than applied for a small moment at idle, that scholdn't happen and could be limited with a 3d ftrim limit. (set less ftrim limt at load load and high rpm) 

Edited by mapper