Subaru GC8 STI V6 Type RA - Engine Fan always on + idle at 1500 + Lambda not working

tiago

Hey guys, just installed a G4+ on a stock Subaru 2000 Sti Type RA and I'm having some problem.
I'm not a professional but know the basic things and wanna learn deeply about that.

1 - My Engine Fan 2 is always on. When I turn the key to on position it's turned on too.

2 - When I start the engine (hot) the idle stay at 900 rpm but if I depress the accelerator it's going to 1500 and stay around this value. 

3 - Looks like my wideband O2 sensor is not working properly. I can not see the values changing and the Log shows it always at 0.686. I guess something is wrong with that. I'm using an AEM and used this post as reference to configure: 

My AEM ground is on the body, not sure if is that the problem. Would be better plug it on the GND on XL Loom?

Log 2018-01-6 2_03_54 am.llg

Subaru TypeRA V6.pclr

I will bring this one to @Simon ‘s attention to see if he can help.  I think I have heard this issue reported before so I suspect we may have a polarity setting wrong in the base map.  I can’t help much  further with what I have access to on holiday.

Regarding your item  2 - When I start the engine (hot) the idle stay at 900 rpm but if I depress the accelerator it's going to 1500 and stay around this value...

Could you post a log file that includes the 'good idle'   ie before you blip the throttle?

This might show what the cause is (maybe!)?

1. Your 'Engine Fan 2' does not seem to be set up on any inputs and is set to come on at 0 degrees so will always be on ? You have Engine Fan 1 and Engine Fan 3 set to Ignition Drive 3 & 4 

2. Your MAP has the default Throttle Settings, you will need to perform a calibration before the throttle will work properly.

3. Your Lambda output seems to be stuck at ground, you will need to check the wiring, and if correct measure the output of the AEM with a voltmeter. What AEM part number do you have.

15 minutes ago, ClintBHP said:

1. Your 'Engine Fan 2' does not seem to be set up on any inputs and is set to come on at 0 degrees so will always be on ? You have Engine Fan 1 and Engine Fan 3 set to Ignition Drive 3 & 4 

2. Your MAP has the default Throttle Settings, you will need to perform a calibration before the throttle will work properly.

3. Your Lambda output seems to be stuck at ground, you will need to check the wiring, and if correct measure the output of the AEM with a voltmeter. What AEM part number do you have.

1. I tried to play with the fan (2 and 3) configuration but without success.

3. I tried to change the AEM ground from body to a random black wire from under the dash but no success to read values too. Thinking about getting a direct wire from the engine block, should I try it? My AEM model is 30-4110.

Will post an updated log and configuration today late. Thanks guys!

1. When you say play, what ECU output (pin) are you trying to control ?

3. You have a Gauge, that reads ok right? You have wired the White wire to An Volt 6 on the expansion connector. 

If you dont have a voltmeter you can use the ECU, set the AN volt Input to Voltage 0-5v and check the input voltage on the configuration screen.

If that reads 0v then humour me and try to move it to AN Volt 5 (the next pin on the expansion connector) and see what that reads. 

On 1/10/2018 at 4:45 AM, TimmyD said:

Regarding your item  2 - When I start the engine (hot) the idle stay at 900 rpm but if I depress the accelerator it's going to 1500 and stay around this value...

Could you post a log file that includes the 'good idle'   ie before you blip the throttle?

This might show what the cause is (maybe!)?

1. Take a look at the log.

I tried to figure out but no success.

Log 2018-01-12 12;18;27 am.llg

3. Lambda Problem
I wired it wrong, just changed to the correct AN input and started to work.

Hi Tiago, interesting, it looks like after the throttle blip, the idle rpm is above the idle control range, so never recovers.  Perhaps you could try adding Idle Ignition Control?  I've modified your .pclr file and attached it.  I think this will bring the idle rpm back within control, but I'm sure you'll have to experiment with the settings!

5a50b36525517_SubaruTypeRAV6_IdleIgnition.pclr

When you blip the throttle the idle valve will return to whatever position is in the base position table.  If the base position table is incorrect then the engine RPM will settle outside of the control range so closed loop will never engage.  It appears your base position table hasn’t been tuned at all.  You need to switch idle control mode to open loop and tune the base position table properly before switching to closed loop.  There is a guide in the help file.

• 2 months later...

I too had the same problem with the fan on MY99 WRX. I had to invert the polarity on Fan 1.

ECU Settings -> Auxiliary Outputs - Ign -> Ignition Drive  3 - Engine Fan 1 -> Polarity = Low (was set to High as default)