Motec E888 with Link Extreme

Electredge

There is a preconfigured CAN mode for it in the software/firmware.  Set up info is in the help file under Device Specific CAN Information.

The preconfigured mode presently only uses the E888 inputs (not outputs) - so, 8 x EGT's, 6 x CAN Analog inputs, 4 x Frequency inputs.  We didnt have CAN PWM outputs in the firmware back when that stream was set up so they were omitted.  A quick look at the documentation it looks like you could make the outputs work with a custom stream no worries. 

5 hours ago, Electredge said:

what do you need to complete the code? 

The CAN message format that controls the outputs.  I have some information in an old document that someone else done at Link many years ago but we found when Vaughan was doing the work some of it was wrong.  It is not publicly available info, we will probably need to sniff a Motec dash or ecu to find it.  

4 hours ago, mapper said:

just download Motec Dash Manager and open it > Communication setup > add Expander Input, Expander output, Expander Diagnostic channel streams. > once added click on Edit. This will show all CAN settings. 

Do you actually see anything though?  They are all hardcoded hidden channels for me:

1Ev287E.png

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I'm wondering if this has progressed at all.

I'm running out of inputs on my Link G4X xtreme and could do with more.  Also outputs that I could move over to the e888 would allow me to look at using dbw on the race car.

Any feedback appreciated 

From my experience, unless Link update the preconfigured DBC protocol for E888 you may have trouble writing a custom stream to write the compound CAN required to use the outputs.

All inputs work, I'm using all inputs on my G4+ Thunder with pre config.

I have tried to dissect the CAN to write custom streams and only take the TC over the bus but not having much luck being compound CAN.

The E888 is a very expensive device so if all you want is extra IO and dont already have one there are possibly other lower cost options to consider.  Even the Razor PDM is cheaper...  

A couple of examples:  https://www.ecumaster.com.au/products/can-bus-i-o-expander

https://www.ptmotorsport.com.au/product/can-checked-mce18-with-connector-canbus-function-extender/

I still dont have the complete CAN info needed to implement the output control for the E888.

3 hours ago, Mcfly94 said:

I have tried to dissect the CAN to write custom streams and only take the TC over the bus but not having much luck being compound CAN.

The G4+ has no problem with compound CAN messages, the problem with the E888 message however is the frame ID is only using 3 bits of the first byte and the rest of the same byte is used for actual analog data.  The user stream config doesnt allow the frame ID to be less than a byte wide.  

On 8/13/2023 at 9:56 PM, Adamw said:

The E888 is a very expensive device so if all you want is extra IO and dont already have one there are possibly other lower cost options to consider.  Even the Razor PDM is cheaper...  

A couple of examples:  https://www.ecumaster.com.au/products/can-bus-i-o-expander

https://www.ptmotorsport.com.au/product/can-checked-mce18-with-connector-canbus-function-extender/

I still dont have the complete CAN info needed to implement the output control for the E888.

The G4+ has no problem with compound CAN messages, the problem with the E888 message however is the frame ID is only using 3 bits of the first byte and the rest of the same byte is used for actual analog data.  The user stream config doesnt allow the frame ID to be less than a byte wide.  

There you go I knew there was something going on, ive reverted to back to taking up the stream in its entirety, i will workout keypad function another way