Using digital input for spare analog input with a PWM?

teedoff00

I am running a Link Atom II on my 22rte and outputing a CAN data stream from the Link to a Powertune Digital Screen. Due to the limited number of analog inputs on the Atom (Using: Fuel Pressure, TPS, and MAP); I am unable to input my Oil Pressure into the Atom and subsequently it doesn't read on my screen through the CAN stream.

Q: Is it possible to output a 0-5V signal from a legacy AEM Oil Pressure gauge into a PWM and then into one of the 2 available digital inputs on my Atom II?

Which one of the two is best or are they both capable of accepting a signal from the PWM?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I think an easier solution would be to use something like CAN SWITCH BOARD V3 from ecu master. You could input the 0-5V on that expansion board and use the can function for that

Quoting Adam:

On 11/6/2020 at 9:41 PM, Adamw said:

Oil temp on a AN Volt input would be set up as a GP temp - you then name it Oil temp.  

CAN analog inputs are a bit limited with the G4+, there are a few basic native ones - Oil & Fuel Press, then you have the 8 generic CAN AN Volt channels.  The CAN AN V's cant be renamed or have units assigned, so if you use those you have to remember that "CAN AN V1" is oil temp, and say 320kpa will show as 320.0V.

GP PWM input is not an option in G4+.  Wouldnt you need a separate device to generate the PWM anyhow?  Probaly better to use CAN as @dx4picco suggested.   The ECUmaster one,  Autosport labs AnalogX or AEM 30-2226 are other lowcost options.  Be aware though, CAN inputs are a bit limited in G4+, you could do fuel and oil press over CAN to free up two analog inputs.

Thank you for the advice gentleman.

If I were to wire in an AEM 30-2226 or the like, would I still be able to have my CanLambda and Powertune screen hooked into the same stream in the G4+ software and my Atom II?

Is there a limit to the CAN bandwidth? I'm mostly looking to add oil pressure, but would be nice to get oil temp and possibly knock in the future.

Thanks!

Trevor

No issues with bandwidth.  All devices connected to the same bus need to run at the same speed.  The AEM one is fixed at 500K.  The Link CAN lambda can be programmed for 500K, but you will need to check if the dash can be configured to run at 500K bit rate as I have never used one.

As mentioned earlier CAN inputs are limited with G4+, you cant do oil temp.  You could however move fuel press over to the CAN device to free up an analog input on the ECU for oil temp.  

The G4+ Atom doesnot have any knock control functionality at all so knock is out.