Apple M1 (silicon) and Windows ARM USB Drivers

streetenergy

On 1/27/2022 at 12:47 AM, OzoneNZ said:

In that case I think you'll have to wait for the updated driver that @Adamw mentioned above

Hi one again! I'm trying to run the pclink with since one week.. I downloaded the FTDI Arm64 2.2 version driver. But I don't have any idea how to integrate it correctly. Ive tried every version that I understand. Maybe you can give me an a short step by instruction? I already disabled the driver verification that you mentioned above. I will be very thankful for any advice! 

• 10 months later...

I have both the G4X and G4+ working on a M2 MacBook Air (but should work on any apple silicon laptop).
My setup is as follows

• UTM - https://mac.getutm.app/ (Parallels etc should work also)
  • Windows 11 Pro ARM
  • Driver Signature Enforcement has to be turned off

Although there are ARM version of the FTDI and CP210X drivers available, they do not include the Link ECU PID's so do not work. I have edited the drivers and added the Link ECU PID's which enable them to work with the ARM drivers (maybe link can update their drivers offered to include ARM drivers now?) but driver signature enforcement has to be turned off as the drivers are not signed.

I have attached the custom drivers here, if this is not allowed please let me know and I can post step by step instead for you to do instead.

Link ECU ARM Drivers.zip

• 9 months later...

Just wanted to chime in that these drivers are working for me using UTM on my M1 Macbook Pro.  Thanks for posting these!

Turning off Driver Signature Enforcement was the only stumbling block that I hit.  Worth noting that this requires a Windows reboot -- instructions here (Option 1 in the article):  https://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-driver-signature-enforcement-windows

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Gnomefabtech said:

I got the drivers and the signature enforcement disabled but I don't know how to manually add these drivers (not a Windows user normally). Can someone help with that info?  Thanks

I got mine set up just the other week. From memory what I had to do was open Device Manager, then right click on the 'Link Engine Management ltd' device. Select 'Update Driver' and then select 'Browse my computer for drivers'.

The next step is where I originally had failed. I had originally just pointed it to the directory that the downloaded drivers were in but that didn't work.

What did work for me was to select 'Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer'.

Then I selected the FTDI device from the list and selected 'Have Disk'. Then I clicked 'Browse' and selected the FTDIBUS.inf file. Then I repeated the same process with the FTDIPORT.inf file.

Hopefully that helps.

• 2 months later...

I thought I'd just share the steps to get this going for anyone having trouble since the links to the modified driver don't work.

These instructions are for installing USB drivers for a G4X ECU on an ARM based Macbook running a Windows Virtual Machine.

Prerequisites:

1. You have installed a Windows VM (I'm using Windows 11 ARM via UTM)

2. You have installed link software

3. You have connected your ECU and it's appearing in device manager as 'other devices'

Installing & Modifying Drivers

1. Download https://ftdichip.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/CDM-v2.12.36.4-for-ARM64-Signed-Distributable.zip and extract the folder

2. Inside the extracted folder, open ARM64/Release/FTDIBUS.inf in a text editor

3. Find the section [FtdiHw.NTARM64] and at the bottom, add this line:

%USB\VID_0403&PID_7069.DeviceDesc%=FtdiBus.NT,USB\VID_0403&PID_7069

4. Find the section [strings] and at the bottom, add this line:

USB\VID_0403&PID_7069.DeviceDesc="Link ECU"

Save the file, now we need to disable driver signature enforcement

Follow this guide to do that, it takes about 30 seconds

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-driver-signature-enforcement-windows

Install the drivers by going Device Manager > Link ECU > Update Drivers > Browse > Select the directory the modified file is in

You should get a success message, and at this point the G5 Software should recognise your ECU.

Remember to re-enable signature enforcement, it's pretty important to protect against malware.

Hope this helped some!