Auxilary Output allocation for Link G4X

Edmund Turner

Hi all, I need some help with allocating Auxilary outputs for a Link G4X for a BMW S50B32.

The vehicle has stock;  3 wire idle valve , dual vanos solenoids, intake and exhaust cam sensor and a crank sensor. 

The intake and exhaust camshaft solenoids are utilising AUX 1-4. as per the recommended diagram.  Idle speed control is stock BMW 3 wire solneoid motor, which requires either AUX 1-2 or Aux 3-4 to operate. 

My question is, can I use AUX 5-6 for the Idle motor or what other options do I have to rearrange the use of the AUX outputs fo this?

Thanks!

Inlet Cam Position Sensor Pin 2 - signal + A30 /Digital input1

Inlet Cam Solenoid Pin 1- inlet cam retard solenoid AUX 1/ A21
  Pin 3-inlet cam advance solenoid AUX 2/A20

Exhaust Cam Position Sensor Pin 1 - signal + Trigger 2 /A9

Exhaust Cam solenoid Pin 1-Exhaust cam retard solenoid AUX 3/A19
  Pin 3-Exhaust cam advance solenoid AUX 4/ A18

IDLE   Aux 5?
    Aux 6?

image.png.0e72e5b8b18adf3a311ec0523ccb07d3.png

Sorry, I was meant to answer yesterday and must have got distracted.

Correct, If you want to stick with the 3 wire idle valve then use aux1/2 or 3/4, and the VVT can be on any auxes.  

Another option that used to be common with older ECU's was you can get a two wire idle valve that is identical foot print to the 3 wire and drops right in, from memory from a volvo or VW.  

No worries, thanks for confirming this for me.  

I have attached the base map for the BMW e36 M3 S50B32 dual vanos.

For the VANOS configuration, I used the 'S52 dual vanos' for the VVT config setup ( this should be the same for the S50?) .Could you have a quick look at my config if I have set this up correcfly?

Current pinout assignemnet tabled below. I am assuming to retard the solenoid is 'bleed solenoid' and advance is 'Pressure solenoid' in the G4X configuration.

Im also not sure of the tooth count. I looked up the interweb and it may be 8 tooth on the cams. I will pull the valve cover to check nonetheless.

Any advice is much appreciated.  

image.png.2c8643a6d3b6d1a8f03a35bba38c5ed5.png

image.thumb.png.fb31f391182c146232b8c08e303eedb7.png

19 minutes ago, dx4picco said:

Isnt the quad solenoid of the s50b32 Euro supposed to run only on aux 1 to 4? 

In G4+ yes, G4X can use any.

10 hours ago, Edmund Turner said:

For the VANOS configuration, I used the 'S52 dual vanos' for the VVT config setup ( this should be the same for the S50?) .Could you have a quick look at my config if I have set this up correcfly?

Current pinout assignemnet tabled below. I am assuming to retard the solenoid is 'bleed solenoid' and advance is 'Pressure solenoid' in the G4X configuration.

Im also not sure of the tooth count. I looked up the interweb and it may be 8 tooth on the cams. I will pull the valve cover to check nonetheless.

Inlet cam setup looks ok.  Swap the aux 3/4 on the exhaust cam (pressure solenoid retards the exhaust cam, advances the intake cam).  Change PWM frequency on the exhaust cam to 50Hz. Tooth count doesnt matter, once you have it running set cam angle test to calibrate and it will automatically populate the tooth count and tooth offsets. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Adam,  I need your advise for this trigger trace ( taken while car diling at 1k rpm).  The motor starts fine, however, every 2nd or 3 rd time you try to crank the motor it just wont start.  I have attached a datalog of the cranking the motor and a triggerscope for reference.  I noticed that Trigger 1 has a 2 errors on the datalog. I am not sure if the arming threshold for Trigger 2 is sufficient . I used the stock values for this.

I havent checked VVT tracking tracking just yet and wanted to check if the  Trig 1 & 2 waveforms first.

Thank you.

image.png.6eea92cdc0ed94b2d628f508981fff3d.png

image.png.2677ea56033f09cd78201627b568d8d3.png

image.png.3184db912c3be1b0c8cac02866b354ee.png

Set the trigger mode to BMW S52.  You currently have sync mode set to "Cam Pulse 1X" which isnt going to work when you actually have 7 teeth...

The trigger offset will likely be around zero with this change but you will need to confirm with a timing light.  

Once running, set the cam angle test to calibrate and that should fix the cam tooth offsets etc.  

HI Adam, just an update on our findings. I checked and adjusted trigger offset to '5' . The timing light is spot on when reference timing is set advance 15,10 5 and retard -5,-10. -15. 

We did notice that the timing light only comes on after the first 2- 3 seconds of cranking.  Im inclinced to increased the arming threshold.  And this may the cause of the intermittnet starting. Appreciate your feedback on the current waveforms. It looks much better now.

image.png.b59cf2d2111b6b0731ea0d577ccd4835.png

image.png.0ec939e027b35036ff5f6c702654e803.png

image.png.0b08b0dd389250b6b61506397d1a4888.png

M3 5 offset TriggerScopeLog.llgx M3 basemap 151121.pclx

Yeah the cam sensor signal is not great during cranking with that extra new "bump" appearing.  You could try trig 2 arming threshold say 0.1V either way but at least in that scope it seems to be getting interpreted ok.

So is it just slow to start now?  Or sometimes doesnt fire at all?

Thanks, I will try amending the arming thershold today. We had to cut short testing yesterday, to send the injectors for cleaning and to swap in new spark plugs. We will continue testing and will check VVT cam test too and report back. 

Thanks for all your help and have a great day ahead. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey mate, hope youre well.

Just to update, car starts & runs fine now . Thank you very much for your help. 

For the VVT setup (this is first time setting up VVT with the G4X ),  I use the cam angle test 'calibration ' function and inlet and exhaust tooth counts were populated automatically, 6 and 7 tooth accordingly.  Calibration passed but when I tried to advance the intake and exhaust cams, both inlet and exhast bank1 positions are not moving to match the target values.  From the logs, the solenoids does seem to be moving and no known errors reported from the ecu. 

This could be due a VANOS fault, but before I remove it I apprecaite if you can confirm my setup from the logs and basemap.  The motor idle is lumpy and I had to raise the idle target to 1100rpm to keep it steady with AC. From the logs, I can see even at idle the inlet and exh solenoids are slighly moving and i suspect this is atrtibuting to the lumpy idle. To note, we did replace both VANOS solenoid connectors as advice from the link documentation. 

Any advice is much appreciated . Thank you very much.

image.png.d8d8fd0fc126b50b99dcc12e30ae037d.png

image.png.fed1397dccce6a428bfd4169b4f0e8e7.png

It almost looks like possibly the pressure/bleed assignments are reversed as we see the intake cam move backwards when duty cycle increases.  

But the first thing to change is you have aux 5 active state set to high - they should both  be set to low.  So change that and give it another try, if that doesnt help, then swap the pressure solenoid output to aux 5 and bleed to aux 6.