Voltage Inputs

thedbaz

Hello,

i have a 350z G4X and would like to wire in extra analog voltage sensors. 

however, the expansion loom only has 1 AN volt input. 

im already repurposing my MAF AN volt input for my second lamda senor.

is there a CAN module that i could purchase that would allow for more voltage inputs that i could connect?

i am using the other AN volt inputs as they are intended.

looking to add oil pressure, ethanol content, fuel temp, fuel pressure, and a few others.

thank you very much for your help!!

The ECUMaster CAN Switchpad has 8 analog inputs, 8 digital inputs, and 4 digital outputs. There's a company I've seen who are using this as a basis for a nice little module - https://rkde-automotive.co.uk/store/RKDE-Canbus-I-O-expansion-unit-p347885147?options=1,1

However, to free a couple up initially, I'd strongly recommend you upgrade your lambda controllers to the Link CAN Lambda. This ensures that the lambda reading is fully digital, and no potential errors due to voltage offsets between the controller and ECU.

thanks!! i will check them out.

yes ive been looking at that, just not sure im ready to give up my new innovate gauges yet.

i do really like the new can gauge but for 3 of them at $400 each and then the haltech dual can lambda at $400, its a heavy investment.

16 hours ago, Brad Burnett said:

can also look into the CANchecked CFE18.  basically the same as the ecumaster unit, considerably cheaper, but a couple mm larger.

awesome thanks. i will check those out too.

15 hours ago, Adamw said:

Ethanol % and temp comes from a flex fuel sensor which connects to a digital input.  You can also repurpose AN Volt 10 and 11 (factory narrowband O2 sensors not needed), and AN Volt 12 (evap press) is not used.  

HI Adam,

thanks. im looking to keep the narrow bands for the long term and short term fuel trims.

or are they not need for that?

why would evap pressure not be needed?

yes the ethanol % and temp comes from the flex fuel sensor connected to my innovate gauge.

im not understanding on how this would connect to a digital input though thats "on / off", when the output of the sensor is 0-5v for both ethanol % and fuel temp.

https://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support/manual/ECF1_Manual.pdf - page 5 and 6

to me the would need AN volt inputs not digital inputs.

could you tell me what An Volt 5 - APS (Sub) and An Volt 6 - APS (Main) are? accelerator pedal position sensor?

also AN Temp 3 - Fuel Tank Temperature, is there a fuel temp sensor inside the tank already? or is this just sensing the air temperature inside the tank?

thank you very much for your help!!

Once you have accurate wideband O2 sensors - you have no need for the narrowband sensors.

Adam was talking about using a Flex fuel sensor directly - this requires only a single Digital Input. It does turn on/off - multiple times per second - and the way it does this is able to encode both ethanol percentage and temperature together. You're talking about throwing a random extra bit of hardware which takes this lovely, pure, digital signal from the sensor, and converts it to a couple of horrible 0-5v analog outputs! (Much like the wideband gauges/controllers you're using are doing).

1 hour ago, Confused said:

Once you have accurate wideband O2 sensors - you have no need for the narrowband sensors.

Adam was talking about using a Flex fuel sensor directly - this requires only a single Digital Input. It does turn on/off - multiple times per second - and the way it does this is able to encode both ethanol percentage and temperature together. You're talking about throwing a random extra bit of hardware which takes this lovely, pure, digital signal from the sensor, and converts it to a couple of horrible 0-5v analog outputs! (Much like the wideband gauges/controllers you're using are doing).

thanks!! correct. i know all about analog signals and how they can be garbage that's for sure. 

nothing more reliable than using a serial comm for wideband data.

trust me i am not a fan of using them via analog signal.

yeh i was hoping just to use the other sensors that and their outputs that i already have, vs buying all new stuff again.

i see the link ethanol sensor has a digital out on the accessories page now.

The innovate ethanol gauge uses the same flex sensor as everyone else which outputs a digital signal.  You are best to tap into the signal wire that goes between the ethanol sensor and the gauge and connect this to a DI.  The gauge and ECU can share the same signal so both will still work and no analog input needed. 

17 hours ago, Adamw said:

The innovate ethanol gauge uses the same flex sensor as everyone else which outputs a digital signal.  You are best to tap into the signal wire that goes between the ethanol sensor and the gauge and connect this to a DI.  The gauge and ECU can share the same signal so both will still work and no analog input needed. 

O awesome!! That is certainly doable. 
thanks!!

On 12/7/2021 at 3:12 PM, Adamw said:

is there a DI on the expansion module that's setup for the ethanol sensor by default?