Xtreme- PDM32 AIM

Ryan Heagney

HEY!

we have a link xtreme, we also have a aim PDM32 ive got the dash CAN working but i have a few extra details i need to send over CAN can you help me with the can setup side?

also trying to get the racegrade (motec) 15 button keypad to work on the pdm32 if anyone has ever managed this? 

from the link to the pdm i need to send:

Fuel pump control on off

fan control on off

e throttle relay on off

crankcase pressure 

then from the pdm to the link if i can ever get the keypad to work 

boost table up and down 

e thottle target up and down 

pit limiter switch 

qualify switch

Many thanks for the help! 

GT86R 007.pclx pdm32 gt86r.1.aimcfg

If the PDM software is anything like the AIM dash software, you should be able to configure your own CAN receiving profile for it and also create a matching CAN output stream in PCLink to get the parameters to match up.

Same thing from the PDM to the Link, getting the data into the Link is fairly easy if you can configure and know how it comes out of the PDM. It is simply a case of knowing where the bytes are and what the CAN ID is, then creating a CAN stream in PCLink with the right parameters expected in the right places. I'm doing a similar thing with some CAN buttons (on my own arduino based keypad though) being passed through a Link G4X out to a Link MXS dash, and passing some extra sensors from the dash back to the Link.

Sorry I missed this post last week.  You have attached the wrong file for the pdm, it should have a .zconfig extension.  To get this file go to the config page in RS3, put a check in the check box beside your config then hit the export button.  

The Greyhill keypad I suspect will be a bit difficult, I dont see any predefined support for it in the current RS3.  Custom CAN to support it will be quite tricky if you want all the LED logic and various options for the count up/down switch states etc. I would contact AIM in case they have some development software or support already underway.

Worst case - Greyhill keypad support will be available directly in the G4X firmware in the future, a while off yet but is being worked on. You could then do all the keypad logic and LED's etc in the ecu and send it to the pdm.   

14 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Sorry I missed this post last week.  You have attached the wrong file for the pdm, it should have a .zconfig extension.  To get this file go to the config page in RS3, put a check in the check box beside your config then hit the export button.  

The Greyhill keypad I suspect will be a bit difficult, I dont see any predefined support for it in the current RS3.  Custom CAN to support it will be quite tricky if you want all the LED logic and various options for the count up/down switch states etc. I would contact AIM in case they have some development software or support already underway.

Worst case - Greyhill keypad support will be available directly in the G4X firmware in the future, a while off yet but is being worked on. You could then do all the keypad logic and LED's etc in the ecu and send it to the pdm.   

sorry to hijack here Adam, but are you guys working on the Blink keypads in similar fashion?

Hi adam thats ok, i have attached the right file.

as for keypad have had no help from aim they basically say send the keypad to them and they might get around to it. i cant find hardly anyhting online about it either

we dont need all the fancy logic at this stage just simple on or off logic and maybe one status led saying its on, 

i watched a few videos online but still struggling to get my head around writing my own can for between the link and the AIM  

when you say a while off for the keypad on the link are we talking months or a year?  ideally we will keep the motec keypad as it fits perfectly would be a shame to have to re-mount the aim style one. 

thanks for the help! ill keep watching how-tos!

PDM32 GT86R.5.zconfig

• 2 weeks later...

Your setup looks mostly how I would have done it.  The only possible mistake I see is the "Start Node" message that you have set up in the CAN output.  Im pretty sure this needs to be sent on ID 0x00, not 0x0A.  Ideally we would only send this message once but I dont see a way to do it in RS3, not sure if sending it every second is going to upset things or not.

E2lwgR8.png

Ok, most of the CAN should be in there now.  Fan & Fuel pump request, DBW Relay & CC Press sent to PDM. 

In the PDM config, status variables set up for multiposition boost & DBW target.  Toggle variable set up for Pit & Qualify - These are triggered by keypad buttons 1-4 as examples.  These are sent to ECU on CAN 1 output.  Boost is received into ECU as GP Rotary Sw 1.   DBW Target is Rotary Sw 2.  Pit is CAN DI1 - set up as speed limit.  Qualify mode is CAN DI 2 - GP Input 1.  

LINK_RyanH Custom_@20220217_074819_001620.xc1 PDM32 GT86R.5 V1.1.zconfig GT86R007PDM CAN.pclx

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! 
would just like to say a huge thanks to link and Adam! 
Systems are all up and running now
and the help Adam have me with the motec keypad put me on the right path and have just got almost all the functionality working on the keypad! 
very very happy with the fantastic support link provides! 

• 1 year later...

Hi Adam, I have the same setup as Ryan here. g4 xtreme ecu with aim pdm32 and motec 15 button keypad, i tried the files that you uploaded here but the keypad does not work. should I start a new topic for this ? 

can 1 of pdm is connected to can2 of ecu 

can 2 of pdm is connected to the keypad 

data from the ecu is showing on the display so the connection is ok. 

thanks in advance.

I have made some changes to your PDM config.  

ECU stream changed to the correct one.  Aim/Blink Keypads turned off.  Custom stream set up to receive button presses from the greyhill keypad.  Custom CAN output set up to wake up the keypad and turn on the back light.  Head and tail light outputs set up to be controlled by button 1 as an example and the starter set-up on button 2.  

PDM32 asm Greyhill.zconfig

6 hours ago, Adamw said:

I have made some changes to your PDM config.  

ECU stream changed to the correct one.  Aim/Blink Keypads turned off.  Custom stream set up to receive button presses from the greyhill keypad.  Custom CAN output set up to wake up the keypad and turn on the back light.  Head and tail light outputs set up to be controlled by button 1 as an example and the starter set-up on button 2.  

PDM32 asm Greyhill.zconfig 1004.79 kB · 0 downloads

transmitted data to pdm, the output can was set on can1 so i exported and imported it to can2 , now keypad LED is on but the buttons don't seem to be working. I also don't see any button counts in the live measures can2 channel 

I dont see anything obviously wrong in the keypad receive message.  Are you saying in live measures none of the Motec button channels ever show a 1 when pressed/held?

Is it definitely a Motec keypad and not a generic greyhill?

On 2/20/2024 at 2:26 AM, Adamw said:

I dont see anything obviously wrong in the keypad receive message.  Are you saying in live measures none of the Motec button channels ever show a 1 when pressed/held?

Is it definitely a Motec keypad and not a generic greyhill?

the keypad has been connected to link ecu and link default configuration is overwritten on it through can setup - can devices tab

On 2/16/2022 at 2:45 PM, Ryan Heagney said:

What is the CAN ID of this Greyhill Keypad? I try the file with my Greyhill 15 keypad RS3 and it doesn't work. I set up this keypad direct with G4X in the past with ID 394 (384+NODE ID)

Screenshot 2567-02-24 at 15.27.28.png