BMW S54B32 DBW and APS into Fury G4X. 

Edmund Turner

Hi gents, hope all is well.  I need some advice on calibration of BMW S54B32 DBW with a Fury G4X . We installed a APS and DBW unit from a S54B32 into a S52B32 motor.  We wired the APS and the DBW motor as per wiring diagrams in the help files.

In setup mode, I can calibrate the APS sucessfully. However, in the throttle calibration mode, I get an error "error 5 " no TPS movement.  I have tried a few times but cant seem to pass the auto TPS calibration and keep getting the same error 5. 

When I leave the ethrottle mode in 'setup mode' I can press the APS and the throttle will open and close as per expected. I understand that driving in setup mode is dangerous as there is no failsafe. 

I have attached logs of the APS & TPS (main & sub) tracking relatively well for reference in 'setup mode' and even in 'ACTIVE' mode. I used the suggested PID values that I found from this forum . I also note that some that forum users suggest to remove 1-2 springs from the BMW DBW motor. Just checking before I proceed. 

Thanks in advance. 

logs and map here - 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1E-mhTiqOfH-guv21Lc0Xo5sMDFxuno-v?usp=sharing

I'm going to have a little stab just because I want to keep learning myself. I want to see if I can get it before Adam solves it. haha

The TPS calibration looks funny. When the throttle is closed it's showing Main 4.57V, Sub 4.60V. But your calibration for closed is Main 0.44V, Sub 4.99V.

I'm guessing that's just because the setup failed though.

I suspect the auto calibration wont work with this setup since you probably have springs that are pushing the throttle blades fully closed when there is no power to the motor.  On most throttles the sprung rest position with no power applied is about 10% open.  When you do the auto TPS calibration the ECU first applies power in the close direction and watches the voltage on the TPS main sensor.  In your case since the throttle is already closed then the ECU will not see any movement so consequently throw the error 5.  

I would just do a manual calibration.  Push the throttle tighly closed, note down the voltages on TP main and sub.  Then push the throttle to 90° and again note down the voltages on both TP sub and main.  Manually type in those open and closed voltages and you are good to go.