Mitsubishi fan control module setup

2.0L_turbo

hey guys looking to set up a fan control module in my car soon and just want to make sure I understand how to get this all wired up properly. I found this pic on google which makes sense and then when it comes to setting up the controller does this sound right,

when fans are off duty cycle is 100

when fans are fully on it is 0

the middle wire on the 3 pin plug gets wired to a spare aux set as a GP PWM signal and the frequency should be 3.9khz

If I am missing anything please let me know, thanks!

Variable Speed PWM Fan Control under $25 or less DIY - LS1TECH - Camaro and  Firebird Forum Discussion

I use a Mitsubishi fan controller from a Legnum VR-4 on my Link ECU.

The fan controller "fails safe" - if the PWM signal fails (such as with a loose connection), the fan comes on at 100%. The more Duty Cycle, the slower the fan goes - with 100% being fully off.

I am actually running mine at 20Hz, and that seems to actually work OK for me - not sure what impact it would have being driven at a higher frequency?

Here's an example of my PWM output table. As I have a chargecooler, I always want the fans running, unless I'm sitting with a cold engine doing some ECU configuration, etc, which is why I have the 30 and 31 degree lines to do a hard "off -> on slightly". The fan speed then also adjusts based upon road speed and temperature.

image.png.bc3ab996de7a69083a7aa8e18ce32560.png

Just make sure that your main 12v input to the controller is adequately fused, and is switched by a relay controlled by the ignition. (Otherwise, when the ECU switches off, the controller will see no duty on the PWM line, and run the fans at 100%!)

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone bringing this back because I am having some issues getting this to work, I am sure it is either something I have enabled in the software or my wiring but I am not sure which it is. 

so I have it wired exactly like the picture above shows and on the big plug I have added a relay on the power wire that is wired as such.

30= battery+

87= power to fan module

86=  ignition switched power

85= ground at same point as controller ground.

this is PCLX file that has how I set it up in the ecu, ignore the table as I was testing to see if I could get it to turn on and off but had no luck and the fan just stays constantly on. If I remove the aux 2 wire from the ecu and touch it to a chassis ground the fan does modulate based on how fast I tap and if I hold it does stay on constantly. 

as always, any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/153rZjQwcIcENqxHGrz4Y576L79mMaKua/view?usp=sharing

21 minutes ago, 2.0L_turbo said:

If I remove the aux 2 wire from the ecu and touch it to a chassis ground the fan does modulate based on how fast I tap and if I hold it does stay on constantly. 

If you are holding the signal wire on ground the fan should be off, is that what happens?

Your manual test shows that the controller you have works as expected - the more that the signal wire is grounded, the slower the fan goes.

Regarding purely the Aux 2 based config in the config you've shared, to me it looks to match pretty much with how I've got mine configured on the G4+

7 hours ago, Adamw said:

Yeah I dont see anything wrong with the ecu set up.  Sure you are connected to the correct ecu pin?  What happens if you set aux 2 test to on?  And also try GP PWM1 output set to none.  

It is definitely connected to the correct pin on the ECU, because if I change it from low to high on the active state I believe, the fan shuts off. 

I will try the rest of these on my lunch break in a few hours and get back to ya. Thanks for the help.

24 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Sounds like it is working then.  In PWM test mode the table has no effect, it sends a constant 50%DC.

Yeah but then when I stop the test and go to the table I can have it set at 0 and fans run full power, and if I set it to 100 the fans still run at full power so it seems like something is over riding the table and causing the fans to stay on at full speed all the time regardless of how the table itself is set up. 

Another thing I just noticed when the engine is running aux 2 says inactive 

24 minutes ago, 2.0L_turbo said:

Yeah but then when I stop the test and go to the table I can have it set at 0 and fans run full power, and if I set it to 100 the fans still run at full power so it seems like something is over riding the table and causing the fans to stay on at full speed all the time regardless of how the table itself is set up. 

This says to me that the output isn't active and that your active state setting is wrong

if you need to pull the trigger pin to ground to turn the fans off set your active state to high, if you need to have it floating to turn the fan off set your active state to low.

You can confirm the DC on the output in the runtimes screen.

Also I just looked at our evo notes and the stock ecu uses 125Hz for that module, so might pay to bump that up in case it is not happy.  But if it works in test mode it should be no different in run mode.

r510fCW.png

50 minutes ago, Adamw said:

You can confirm the DC on the output in the runtimes screen.

Also I just looked at our evo notes and the stock ecu uses 125Hz for that module, so might pay to bump that up in case it is not happy.  But if it works in test mode it should be no different in run mode.

r510fCW.png

Well not sure what fixed it but I set it to 125hz and then unplugged the battery for a few mins and now it's working great thanks everyone! 

• 2 weeks later...