2JZ-GE swap Igniter ground question

HollywoodJackson

Greetings all,

I'm about to connect the three hot wires from the coil packs to the Igniter (using the slave spark style for now), and I've already connected the three wires from the ECU to the Igniter. I have a brief question about the grounds really quick.

The grounds coming from the coil pack, and the ground coming from the igniter, can I run those to the chassis ground location?

Thanks!

All the best,
~HollywoodJackson~

Pretty sure youre thinking about this backwards.

The ignitor grounds the coils at the request of the ecu.

The coil wiring is +12v on one terminal and the 2nd terminal is ground signal from ignitor.

Typically the ignitor will have its own ground, and the body of the ignitor is typically a heat sink and needs to be mounted flat to metal with some heat sink paste for thermal transfer.

2JZGTE_VVTi_Igniter_Coils.jpg?resize=999

+B should be an ignition switched +12V source that goes the + on each coil and the +B pin on the igniter. The wire from the coils to the igniter are the - side of the coils only grounded for the programmed dwell time in the ecu typically.  

Further to the info given above by Kris & Brad, the ignitor ground wire would preferably be grounded on the Cyl head or engine block, you get a high voltage flyback out of this wire everytime there is a spark so you want the most direct path back to the source (alternator or battery).  

And in that ignitor schematic above, Pin 8 is wrong, this is the tacho output and would generally go to the dash, not the ecu. Or if the ecu is driving the tach then this pin would be left unconnected.  Pin 4 would generally be not connected when using an aftermarket ECU also.  

Thanks for all of the info!!

The G4X Install Manual that came with the ECU, has:

Pin B57  -  Ign 1
Pin B56  -  Ign 2
Pin B55  -  Ign 3

Thank you for the clarification on the 3 wires coming out of the coil pack plugs. I misunderstood that one as a ground. Now I see, those three wires should be spliced with the +B wire.

toyota-2jz-coil-diagram.jpg

And for the IGF wire coming out of the Igniter, I can leave that out completely. Should I continue with the pins as listed in the Installation Manual?

Thanks, this is a big help.