Dual solenoid boost control

Murg_e30

5 hours ago, Adamw said:

I dont think this would be any different than a single 4 port solenoid.  What are you trying to acheive?

As i understand 4 port solenoid  the duty cycle is poor resolution 
when change the duty cycle by as little as one or two percent will change the boost pressure by as mush as three to eight psi 
so i would like to solve the problem by use dual solenoid 
Or do you have any other suggestions.

The only reason to run a 4 port or dual 3 ports is if you need a wide range of control values and can't get what you need done with a more simple single spring and single 3 port that will control up to a bit over double that base spring pressure - a 10psi wg spring can typically have good control up to 22-23psi boost and a 1 bar 14.5psi spring can have good control up to 35psi boost.   If you need a 10psi spring to have control up to 50psi of boost, then it makes sense to go to a 4 port or dual 3 port.

4 ports do have pretty terrible resolution for closed loop control in my experience, but seem ok-ish at open loop.  When doing dual 3 ports, I see a lot of recommendations to wire both 3 port solenoids to the same output which in my experience still ends up with poor resolution.  The way I would do it with dual 3 port solenoids is: 1 output runs your upper solenoid with boost control function as per normal single solenoid tuning.  The second solenoid is wired to a separate output using a 3D pwm table with boost target as the primary axis (versus throttle or rpm or whatever similar to your regular boost target table in the boost control menu) - as you run out of duty cycle to achieve your primary boost targets with the first solenoid, at that boost level you set a fixed duty cycle on the lower solenoid to give a bit of restriction to the opening side as necessary to give the first solenoid the ability to control boost. 

On 2/10/2023 at 2:23 AM, koracing said:

The only reason to run a 4 port or dual 3 ports is if you need a wide range of control values and can't get what you need done with a more simple single spring and single 3 port that will control up to a bit over double that base spring pressure - a 10psi wg spring can typically have good control up to 22-23psi boost and a 1 bar 14.5psi spring can have good control up to 35psi boost.   If you need a 10psi spring to have control up to 50psi of boost, then it makes sense to go to a 4 port or dual 3 port.

4 ports do have pretty terrible resolution for closed loop control in my experience, but seem ok-ish at open loop.  When doing dual 3 ports, I see a lot of recommendations to wire both 3 port solenoids to the same output which in my experience still ends up with poor resolution.  The way I would do it with dual 3 port solenoids is: 1 output runs your upper solenoid with boost control function as per normal single solenoid tuning.  The second solenoid is wired to a separate output using a 3D pwm table with boost target as the primary axis (versus throttle or rpm or whatever similar to your regular boost target table in the boost control menu) - as you run out of duty cycle to achieve your primary boost targets with the first solenoid, at that boost level you set a fixed duty cycle on the lower solenoid to give a bit of restriction to the opening side as necessary to give the first solenoid the ability to control boost. 

I appreciate the information and advice you have shared.