Multiple ECUs triggering CE light

ellisd1984

Hi, I've tried messing on with some settings and I've managed to massively confused myself!

What I'm wanting to do is add the warning outputs of my power steering and ABS ecus into the mix so they can all turn the check engine light on if there's a fault.  I was thinking about using an Ana input and 2 different sized resistors to give different values.  All I've managed to do is fry my suede through as the light light up for a few seconds on startup.

14 hours ago, ellisd1984 said:

the light light up for a few seconds on startup.

Isnt that expected?  At least most ABS lights stay on when the engine isn't running and remain os for a second or two after startup.

Do the CE light outputs from the other ecu's drive to ground or 12V to switch on their lamp?

Hi Adam, yes they are doing as they should by lighting up on Power on but that was what confused me. Anything I would think to try in setting up would just trigger a fault on start up.   

Both warning lights switch to ground to activate and take the 12v from the gauge cluster.  

Is this something you're wanting to do without running their outputs back to the ECU?  Using 2 DI's for those two warning lamp inputs would certainly allow you to set up logic in the ecu to trigger the CE light as well as normal CE light functions via virtual aux or GP outputs.

I was trying to avoid DI's as I'd ran out but I've managed to juggle things about. I can now have them both on DIs making the lights I currently wired in do what I want. 

As the power steering pump isn't from this car there isn't a power steering light on the dash so I'm wanting to flash the CEL and ABS light together if their's a PS fault.

Half the issue was I couldn't figure out the virtual aux system, I couldn't find their parameters. 

It can be confusing in G4x as the virtual aux have to be assigned to an output (like a GP output) prior to being able to do anything with them, versus the G4+ where they had their own entries in the output section.