PCLink Studdering/Unresponsive at Random - Win11?

Mikau

First off - Not sure if this is the appropriate page but being as this occurred on a G4+ Fury it seemed the most appropriate.

Recently finished a car, all is well. Fire car up, connect, all goes as usual for the first 2-3 seconds as live data shows up then UI goes unresponsive on PCLink and the whole PCLink UI for that matter. After a minute or two data feed comes back with a slight delay for roughly another 2-3 minutes then proceeds to go unresponsive again. 50/50 shot after that if PClink comes back or goes unresponsive. Restart PClink and repeat.

Is there anything that might be causing the USB connection to not be happy that I'm unaware of? 

OS is Windows 11 on a Thinkpad L14.

To clarify this whole setup (2JZ, Harness and Fury) was transferred from a running car to another chassis. Nothing obvious is jumping out to me on what might be causing this so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

17 hours ago, koracing said:

Ignition noise - non-resistor spark plugs - usb driver issues/PC laptop issues.  If I ever have issues with connectivity on a G4+ I just go to the serial cable connection.

Solid point on drivers, I’m less skeptical of the ignition or physical hardware of the laptop as it was the native laptop from the previous chassis this was in prior.

By serial connection are you referring to the plug next to the harness headers on the body of the ecu?

15 hours ago, Adamw said:

If you dont start the engine does it remain connected and responsive?

It will exhibit similar behavior when even the engine is not running I’ve discovered.
I did find a CANBus network collision in my new HTG setup that I thought was addressed. At the moment both the chassis, RealDash and HTG seem content. Not sure if perhaps I still have an issue and it’s related to this?

Sounds like you probably have a cable connected to the CAN1 port that has the rs232 pins connected, this will interrupt pc comms.  You need to use a CANF plug and have only CAN L/H pins connected.  

7 hours ago, Adamw said:

Sounds like you probably have a cable connected to the CAN1 port that has the rs232 pins connected, this will interrupt pc comms.  You need to use a CANF plug and have only CAN L/H pins connected.  

This is where I was headed but was unsure if this bug existed on the wire ins as well as the plug in G4+...

16 hours ago, Adamw said:

I currently have the CanF plug in use  and wires in place for only Can H/L. Ive yet to make it back to the shop but will remove the plug completely tonight to compare differences.
I’ll also pull the CanF plug apart and inspect for anything unusual. If nothing is found visually is there a way to test the rs232 pins themselves to confirm anything for you?

3 hours ago, Adamw said:

I think just unplugging the CANF will be the only test you need to do to confirm if it is something in that, there may be a stray copper strand or small solder bridge inside etc.  

I was able confirm with and without the CanF connected the problem persists. 

Luckily a more computer literate friend came by and noticed a huge spike on the laptop itself in CPU usage upon connecting to the link and almost max memory usage taking place. He suggested rolling back to windows 10 as that’s what was originally on the laptop when this setup was in the other chassis last year.

I’ll report back with results.

22 hours ago, Adamw said:

I havent seen any issues on the couple of win11 PC's I have.    Do you have any dual tables set up Fuel/Ign/Boost/Throttle etc?  Can you attach a copy of your tune?

It might just be this laptops installation of Windows enterprise edition (was a recycled/secondhand university staff laptop), can't say for sure.

What I can confirm is that reinstalling/rolling back to Windows 10 seems to have done the trick. I do however appreciate the help from yourself and Ko trying to make heads or tails of all this. Both on and off theres no sudden drops of response or studders taking place now. 

Windows10Fixed.pclr

• 1 month later...

I wanted to update this as the problem did come back, turns out the USB boards in my Lenovo laptop were dead/dying (apparently common for the L14 and similar years). Luckily the USB-C port is unaffected as far as I can tell, so a simple adapter and all is well for now.