Wiring Syltec Combo Sensor (oil press/oil temp) s2000 G4X

TonyP

I believe I have these wired correctly (instructions from Link support) and the calibrations tables built and setup in the Analog channels.  Can someone check my tune file and see if the sensors are setup correctly?  The problem is they are showing as active with voltage data but it never moved.   

I have it wired through the Expansion cable loom into AN volt 8 and 9 with the 5V and GND as well. image.thumb.png.a45f2ab94773c1f74881535c225218a6.png

The sensors will only display in Voltages and are stagnant (they never change). 

image.png.197985e07090e1ed48da019b64656725.png

Here is the calibration sheet from Syltech. 

image.thumb.png.df80cccbf9a00e33196dfb95b03e880c.png

5.3.23 s2000.pclx

In your map oil temp is reading 20C and shows a voltage of 3.54V so that looks about as expected.  Oil pressure shows 0.5V and 0kpa, so the ecu is interpreting the signal correctly.  That was saved when the engine was running though, so either there is no oil pressure (is it a new build?) or a wiring/sensor issue.  Are you sure it has oil pressure.

On the oil pressure settings I would change the error low to 0.05V and the error high to 4.95V for correct fail safe operation later, but these weren't having any influence at the time your map was saved.  

Fuel pressure on AN Volt 10 is showing 0.02V so there is some issue with the wiring or sensor there, it should never go less than 0.5V if a working sensor is connected.  The error high/low for fuel pressure should be set the same as the oil press suggestion above but again they were having no influence when the map was saved.  

2 minutes ago, Adamw said:

In your map oil temp is reading 20C and shows a voltage of 3.54V so that looks about as expected.  Oil pressure shows 0.5V and 0kpa, so the ecu is interpreting the signal correctly.  That was saved when the engine was running though, so either there is no oil pressure (is it a new build?) or a wiring/sensor issue.  Are you sure it has oil pressure.

On the oil pressure settings I would change the error low to 0.05V and the error high to 4.95V for correct fail safe operation later, but these weren't having any influence at the time your map was saved.  

Fuel pressure on AN Volt 10 is showing 0.02V so there is some issue with the wiring or sensor there, it should never go less than 0.5V if a working sensor is connected.  The error high/low for fuel pressure should be set the same as the oil press suggestion above but again they were having no influence when the map was saved.  

Sorry about that. The fuel sensor is just unplugged at the moment. This is on an existing build (OEM engine). There is definitely oil pressure as I am removing an Defi gauge system that verifies it has pressure. For both Oil Pressure and Oil temps they values you see never move at all when the car is on. As the temperature climbs, the values for the oil temps never move. Same with pressure. 

Open up the runtimes screen (F12) and go to the analog tab, with the sensor unplugged, you should see 0V on AN9 and 5V on AN8.  Then get 2 paperclips, bridge the oil temp pin (2) to ground (3) and bridge the oil press pin (1) to the 5V pin(4).  In the runtimes screen you should then see 5V on AN9 and 0V on AN8.  This test would verify your wiring and pinout is correct.

5Ykayo0.png

8 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Open up the runtimes screen (F12) and go to the analog tab, with the sensor unplugged, you should see 0V on AN9 and 5V on AN8.  Then get 2 paperclips, bridge the oil temp pin (2) to ground (3) and bridge the oil press pin (1) to the 5V pin(4).  In the runtimes screen you should then see 5V on AN9 and 0V on AN8.  This test would verify your wiring and pinout is correct.

5Ykayo0.png

Awesome!  Let me try that tonight and see where I get!

1 hour ago, Adamw said:

5Ykayo0.png

So I did the test and it all checks out. So I'm not sure what's going on. You can see the voltages in the pics.

PXL_20230504_001324193.jpg

PXL_20230504_001502352.jpg

Ok, so you have confirmed the wiring and ecu is ok.  To test the sensor you could pull it out, plug it in and heat the tip with a heat gun or lighter etc to see if temp changes.  If you have a compressor you could try pressurising it while it is out also.  

Oh, another thought;  It would pay to pull the orange wedge lock out of the dtm connector on the wiring to confirm the terminals are latched in front of the locking barbs.  It is not unusual for new users to not get that right so the pins push backwards when you plug the connectors together.

12 hours ago, Adamw said:

Ok, so you have confirmed the wiring and ecu is ok.  To test the sensor you could pull it out, plug it in and heat the tip with a heat gun or lighter etc to see if temp changes.  If you have a compressor you could try pressurising it while it is out also.  

Oh, another thought;  It would pay to pull the orange wedge lock out of the dtm connector on the wiring to confirm the terminals are latched in front of the locking barbs.  It is not unusual for new users to not get that right so the pins push backwards when you plug the connectors together.

Thanks for the help with this! I found the culprit. Pulled the sensor out to test it with heat and pressurizing it and everything worked. So I took a closer look at the install and noticed that the probe on this sensor is longer than the AEM unit I was using. It essentially blocked the oil passage in this AN to NPT adapter I was using off the block.  No oil was getting to the little hole that measures pressure and only the tip of the sensor touched any oil. Installed it on a different port and it worked! image.png.e832e5f5f3d3a7084ccf08233a27b43c.png

Oil pressure/temp sensors ideally are exposed to flow of oil, and not dead headed at the end of a hose or port.  Have experimented with oil temp at cylinder head oil pressure port on a 3SGTe and found the data stagnant and not accurate versus in the oil pan where the temp rose and fell and followed a more logical reading range.  I think a sandwich plate under the filter that gets flow across the sensor would be ideal for a combo sensor.