Rpm dropping out on boost

noahbid

Hi guys recently got my ecotec running with a link G4x xtreme and am having a problem where as soon as it makes any boost it stops reading rpm and shuts down??

also having problems keeping the laptop connected. That’s also dropping out randomly 

• noahbid changed the title to Rpm dropping out on boost
15 hours ago, koracing said:

Definitley run resistor spark plugs.  Igntion noise filter from coil power to ground helps a lot.  ECU does not ground to the engine?

for my knowledge, what does a noise filter looks like and how is it wired?

5 hours ago, dx4picco said:

for my knowledge, what does a noise filter looks like and how is it wired?

There are various form factors, basically it is a capacitor placed between the coil power supply and ground, it effectively shorts high-frequencies to ground, this reduces noise but in some setups it is also used to reduce the length of the return path that the high voltage has to travel through to get back to the coil from the spark plug.  It is especially important for coils which dont have a separate secondary ground pin - so instead the secondary return is connected to the primary 12V pin.  Many OEM set-ups have them, especially older ignition systems with separate ignitors. 

Have a watch of this video from about the half way point for a better explanation with pictures etc:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1HfbXyYzSM

Some examples:

SYyAhlp.png  EiYK2zx.png

Toyota has a nice one built into a connector body:

a1OJ3Z8.png

HbEmqIw.png