2GR-FE Idle Help

DO1023

The idle control looks somewhere in the ballpark to me now.  The "misfire" is unlikely related to idle control, I suspect it is possibly a fuelling issue based on the 20-30% bank-to-bank variation you have in reported lambda.  

Possibly it is too rich, bank 2 lambda is actually the more correct measurement and bank 1 is reading leaner/looks normal as it has the misfire.  Try leaning it out to see if it gets better or worse.  

There are lots of fuel settings I dont like in your map; IAT trim is still enabled, charge temp approximation is all zero, the fuel table Y axis is not really suited for an alpha-N tune, if you look at the fuel table surface view it is just 2 or 3 flat planes, almost like only 4 cells where actually tuned then someone just "joined the dots"?  Then there is also a 4D table that adds 10% pretty much everywhere except idle?  Warmup enrichment is active all the way to 90°C, fuel pressure sensor calibration is wrong, injector deadtimes dont look right, differential fuel pressure does not match what is set in the fuel settings and the fuel model has not been set to compensate for fuel pressure. 

For your APS, the sensors are connected to analog inputs on the trans controller, the trans controller then sends the pedal position to the ecu via CAN.  It looks to me like the APS sensors just haven't been calibrated in the trans controller as the offset between sub/main is relatively constant and the rest position seems reasonably repeatable around 2%.  This needs to be improved as you are just on the borderline of triggering a limp mode.   

Bit of an update here. I got online with KORacing today and we spent some time dialing things in fixing most of what you mentioned Adam.

Oddly we get the lambda between 1 and 2 pretty close and the correction works.. idle target is hit.. But still getting this misfire. Plugs are dark but not what you would expect when " fouled " so going to pop a fresh set of plugs in tomorrow and hopefully all is good. Fingers crossed this resolves everything. 

I've uploaded some logs and the current map to a folder in that drive called " KO 5-24 "

The odd part I think I mentioned earlier is that the car had this weird period where it ran perfectly fine ( audibly ) but just wasnt meeting the target idle. So maybe some comparison between those two maps is in order? 

Folder with the "stable" idle from last night

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1bcTb7y4EX3h2EFtd9jGaZw-OiQXggVhK?usp=sharing

I still believe that Lambda 1 and Lambda 2 were installed on the wrong banks before tonight when you swapped them while I was online.  I don't know if that is a magic bullet but we will see.  Something is certainly very wrong with the rather large disparity in afr readings between the two banks.  Tried going significantly leaner and significantly richer across the board to see if anything would start to improve.  No good gains were made in that regard.  

I'm digging into my old maps to see if theres some variance in the cal. I know that at 0 ( like current ) the timing light matches to 10BTDC mark on the crank. 

The g4+ ( that idles fine when last plugged in ) required 255 of offset to fire. I know the  trigger stuff has changed between the ECU but it's not really making sense to me.

I'll try swapping plugs and also investigating each cylinder but how possible is it that the timing is 180 or even 360 off?

I did try inputting those numbers and couldnt get it to start but... this just popped into my head 

EDIT: just dug in to that. It seems like anytime the car has run we've run 0 offset so perhaps thats not it. That's not to say that the offset isn't wrong somehow but at 0 the timing light matches. 

-360 wont fire

360 wont fire

Since the car did have a small period of time yesterday where it did idle smoothly - this is probably not the problem but I figured it was worth a check.

I've uploaded two logs here. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Gj4Q9JBg7CDBLn7ueGsrfkPtOxCeujDU?usp=share_link

I swapped the plugs for fresh ones which is one log - misfire is still present.

I unplugged each coil sequentially - there is a noticeably change between each cyl so it seems each is active. I'm really not sure what this could be..

A new log has been added testing the tracking of cam target vs cam position. To me it doesnt seem that the cams are even moving to that. They seem tied at 0. Additionally when everything is zerod in that table and/or vvt is off - the misfire is still present. SO while thats probably an issue, im not sure how much.

You dont have any outputs assigned for the VVT solenoids.  The exhaust cams can only move in the retard direction on this engine so you need to use negative values in your exhaust target table.  

Noticed that. must've got unassigned during some troubleshooting but we have a resolution..

I noticed that someone ( i think I know who ) ganged the ECU ground, Coil ground and the "body" side of a block to body  ground .... " grounded " on a stud that sits ontop of the valve cover..

Immediately resolved and it idles butter smooth now.

So note to anyone else... check your freaking grounds. Especially if someone else troubleshoots your car.

26 minutes ago, Adamw said:

You don't have any outputs assigned for the VVT solenoids.  The exhaust cams can only move in the retard direction on this engine so you need to use negative values in your exhaust target table.  

I thought we were calling it the "advanced challenged" direction from now on?

• 5 months later...